276°
Posted 20 hours ago

David Bowie Is

£20£40.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

O quantomeno David Bowie è... l'incarnazione umana in forma artistica di questa εἶδος, quale incessante ricerca della compiutezza sia come forma che come pensiero, ciò che io più o meno kantianamente percepisco con i miei sensi attraverso le miei categorie trascendentali, αἰσθάνομαι. Clarke’s 1953 SF novel of a race of alien beings who come to Earth to midwife the next step in human evolution has echoes in Bowie’s generational “changing of the guard” songs of the early 1970s, particularly “Oh! You Pretty Things” and “Changes.” In 1983 David Bowie set out on the Serious Moonlight Tour, his biggest ever. On the road with him was his official photographer, Denis O’Regan. Few artists and photographers have had such a close touring relationship. This book is the result: a never-before-seen photographic portrait of a year with Bowie, from the theatre of performance to his most unguarded moments. Introduced by O’Regan and with every single image personally approved by Bowie, this is an intimate view of an icon at the height of his fame. At the Birth of Bowie is essential reading for anyone who knows what happened on Bowie’s journey, but wants to understand how, and why, it ever began. L'altro commento, meraviglioso a mio avviso, è stato quello di Laurie Anderson: “Come tutti gli amici di David ammiro molto il modo in cui è morto e ciò che ne ha fatto. È stata la prima volta nella storia del mondo, potremmo dire, che qualcuno ha preso in mano la propria morte diventandone realmente l’attore protagonista… Certo che sono arrabbiata con lui! Perché adesso non è che posso semplicemente lasciarmi morire! Devo produrre il musical per Broadway, l’album, il libro… Grazie David!”

The 15 Best David Bowie Books | Vogue

Whatever, his time in Germany and the music it sparked is explored in Thomas Jerome Seabrook’s Bowie in Berlin (Jawbone, 2008), a mixture of biography and song-by-song analysis that authoritatively nails its subject matter: a time, as the author puts it, of “bingeing and purging, relapse and recovery” – and some of the most visionary work of Bowie’s career. My friend Billy summed up the huge crowds very succinctly, "The people. All the fat skinny people, all the tall short people. I never thought I'd hate so many people. I really disliked the cattle-market aspect of it but I suppose, with something that has proved to be so popular for which I expect they'll have a limited run time, this is unavoidable." Here are a few books on David Bowie i have read and enjoyed, also here are books that members of our Facebook group have recommended. I have only included titles that are currently available.

David Bowie’s career as a pioneering artist spanned nearly 50 years and brought him international acclaim. He continues to be cited as a major influence on contemporary artists and designers working across the creative arts. I am still very glad I went, and feel overwhelmingly positive about it, and him, but a big part of me also felt uneasy. That feeling was at its height as I went through the inevitable plethora of artefacts on sale in the gift shop, many at ludicrous prices. Before there was Star Wars before there was Close Encounters there was The Man Who Fell To Earth. advertising tag line for 1981 reissue of the film. Earthbound is the first book-length exploration of a true classic of twentieth-century science-fiction cinema, shot under the heavy, ethereal skies of New Mexico by the legendary British director Nicolas Roeg and starring David Bowie in a role he seemed born for as an extra-terrestrial named Thomas Newton who comes to Earth in search of water. Based on a novel by the highly regarded American writer Walter Tevis, this dreamy, distressing, and visionary film resonates even more strongly in the twenty-first century than it did on its original release during the year of the US Bicentennial. The first photo session started at four in the afternoon and went through the night till dawn. Bowie went through countless costume changes, each more incredible than the last and each seemed to turn him into a totally different person. Bowie relentlessly created these unique characters, each seemingly alive in their own charismatic space for Schapiro to create visual images to complement their very existence and turn them into iconic images for all time.

Recommended Books on David Bowie (updated) Recommended Books on David Bowie (updated)

Thomas Newton came to Earth seeking water for his drought-ridden planet. Years later he’s still stranded here, sozzled on cheap gin and haunted by a past love. But the arrival of another lost soul brings one last chance of freedom… The mostly never-before-published images in Schapiro’s rare collection represent Bowie at his most creative and inspired self and present a glimpse into the intimacy that Schapiro and Bowie shared during their time together. As Schapiro tells it: ‘From the moment Bowie arrived, we seemed to hit it off. Incredibly intelligent, calm, and filled with ideas, he talked a lot about Alistair Crowley whose esoteric writings he was heavily into at the time. When David heard that I had photographed Buster Keaton, one of his greatest heroes, we instantly became friends.’ Finally I was a bit uneasy with the final section - massive screens with live performance. It was so reverential. Confession #3: I missed the touring exhibition David Bowie Is at the Museum of Contemporary Art last year, which is where this beautiful book is from. I waited until the last two weeks of the show and then it was all sold out and I missed the chance of a lifetime. In the U.S., David Bowie Is only came to Chicago's MCA, and I was too dumb to get there for it. Bowie: Album by Album examines every one of Bowie’s studio albums in fine detail, placing each within the context of the time in which it was recorded and charting all the albums’ subsequent influence and legacy. As well as commentary from the musicians, engineers and producers who worked on the recordings – such as Brian Eno and Tony Visconti – Bowie’s own quotes provide a fascinating insight into his restlessly creative mind.David Bowie was arguably the most influential artist of his time, reinventing himself again and again, transforming music, style and art for over five decades.

The Books That Mattered Most to David Bowie, Bibliophile The Books That Mattered Most to David Bowie, Bibliophile

You could never read the articles (which are a mixed bag) but the pictures and the choice of material means its a fantastic reminder of the show and almost makes up for missing the show. The book is like walking through the exhibit and seeing Bowie’s incredible work and life come alive. What is missing is how the automated proximity sensors triggered his music as you approached an area, and started video clips and interviews. Bowie was a visual artist as much as a musician but the book works best when you also drop the needle and read it at full blast so to speak.Fortunately, when Bowie left us in January 2016 to meet the starman in the sky, he left not only his legacy but also a lengthy book list. In fact, his son, Duncan Jones, recognized him as such “ a beast of a reader,” that in December 2017, he started a David Bowie Book Club for fans to follow along and discuss his late father’s favorites.

Books to read if you love David Bowie - Penguin Books UK Books to read if you love David Bowie - Penguin Books UK

L'ho vista una prima volta ad agosto con pochissimo pubblico (condizione eccellente) in 2,5 ore che si sono rivelate insufficienti. L'ho rivista a novembre durante il tutto esaurito delle ultime settimane (condizioni rese accettabili solo grazie agli ampi spazi del museo e all'isolamento intimo garantito dalle cuffie) in 4 ore che sono il tempo minimo necessario.To celebrate the 40th anniversary of this cult movie, TASCHEN’s The Man Who Fell to Earth presents a plenitude of stills and behind-the-scenes images by unit photographer David James, including numerous shots of Bowie at his playful and ambiguous best. A new introductory essay explores the shooting of the film and it’s lasting impact, drawing upon an exclusive interview with David James, who brings firsthand insights into the making of this sci-fi masterwork. Tant'è, l'immersione nel mondo-Bowie dell'esposizione (grazie a un efficacissimo equilibrio tra stimoli visivi e sonori durante tutto il percorso) è estremamente coinvolgente ed esteticamente gratificante, quasi patologica per i fan-atici, assurge addirittura a esperienza mistica in seguito alla sua morte David Bowie è... morto. Ha preso in mano la sua morte e, riuscendo a separare in modo ammirevole il fatto privatissimo, di cui non è trapelato praticamente nulla (in quella che è stata forse la sua suprema performance attoriale?), dall'atto artistico ha concluso il suo percorso chiudendo il cerchio e dando un senso compiuto a tutta la sua carriera: ha trasformato l'atto creativo in massimo sistema.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment