276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Carpet People

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I remember reading this a number of years ago (it’s a number that we don’t have to actually have to mention, but suffice it to say, there were only four Discworld novels about). I had forgotten how delightful this book was. Full of Pratchett’s brand of irreverent humour and wit. If any book begs for a sequel, it is this one, and I do sometimes find myself wondering if perhaps there is another leg of the Trousers of Time where Pratchett wrote 39 Carpet People novels instead of Discworld ones. Perhaps in that world Pratchett would be an even more notable author than he already is, certainly in that world, I would count myself as a major Pratchett fan, rather than a more casual admirer. Il Popolo del Tappeto è l'opera prima di Terry Pratchett: lo scrisse nel 1971, per poi riscriverlo nel 1992, tant'è che nella postfazione Pratchett spiega come - ormai - lo si possa considerare scritto a quattro mani, quelle del ragazzino alle prime armi e quelle dell'adulto ormai più esperto. The Carpet People is a comic fantasy novel by British writer Terry Pratchett. First published in 1971 and written when Pratchett was 17 years old, it was later re-written by the author when his work became more widespread and well-known. [1] [2] [3] In the Author's Note of the revised edition, published in 1992, Pratchett wrote: "This book had two authors, and they were both the same person." [4] [5]

Pratchett’s sci-fi novels The Dark Side of the Sun and Strata were published in 1976 and 1981; the first Discworld novel, The Colour of Magic, followed in 1983. Pratchett revised The Carpet People in 1992 when the Discworld series started to take off and readers began looking for his early work. Anche se grazie alla Salani (avete il mio odio) non vedremo mai tutti i libri di Mondo Disco in Italia (e a questo punto credo neanche quelli de La Lunga Terra), grazie alla Kappalab potremmo vedere gli altri. It’s definitely an “early” Pratchett, still not quite at the height of his writing powers — but the seeds of genius are already there. The Carpet denizens are not quite yet at the Discworld quality, and the humor is gentler, and the fantasy part is more generic (although, and I can’t emphasize it enough, the sheer idea of Carpet People is pure delight), and the story has a somewhat disjointed episodic oddly paced feel — and yet it’s unmistakably still *the* Pratchett on his way to developing his signature wit and style. Our Wights Are Different: Very different indeed - more like Our Elves Are Different with a different name, even. Given that 'Wight' simply means 'person' in Old English, this is another case of a tribe name meaning 'The People' or 'The True Human Beings'Averted with the Deftmenes; though they're even more diminutive than the other tribes, their main trait is excessive belligerence. The tribe is led by Glurk, who is advised by Pismire, a philosopher and the tribal Shaman. Glurk's younger brother Snibril, however, is the book's protagonist, and is described by Pismire having the kind of enquiring mind which is "dangerous". Snibril also has the unique ability to detect Fray a few minutes before it strikes - this ability manifests itself as an extremely painful migraine. The Quisling: Brocando's brother sells Jeopard to the mouls in Brocando's absence so he can say he's the king. In 2008, Harper Children's published Terry's standalone non-Discworld YA novel, Nation. Terry published Snuff in October 2011. It is also a book that is full of humour, imagination and puns and everything that made Terry Pratchett the globally loved author that he was – and still is.

I read this book through the audiobook performed by David Tennant. Although I didn’t enjoy this book, David Tennant’s performance was phenomenal. Tennant makes each character feel distinct, making the narration enjoyable to listen to. Tennant displays a range of different accents, tones and voices, making each character personality come to life. Tennant masterfully switches between the characters and does an impressive job narrating this book. If you want to read this book, then I would highly recommend the audiobook by David Tennant. The Carpet People is a comic fantasy about a civilisation living in a carpet, brimming with the imagination and trademark humour you come to expect from one of Britain’s greatest authors. This story explores conflict, power-hungry establishments, and an adventure to save the day when it seems all is lost. It’s a big fantasy from a 17-year old Pratchett, and if you’ve ever wondered what the lovechild of Doctor Who and Roald Dahl looks like, then you’ve finally found your answer.

Did we miss something on diversity?

To Serve Man: One of the reasons the Mouls take prisoners. Also implied to be the fate of a traitor who worked for them. In his author’s note for the revised edition, Pratchett wrote that the original story “had a lot of things wrong with it, mostly to do with being written by someone who was 17 at the time”. Rereading it, the then 43-year-old Pratchett thought: “Hang on. I wrote that in the days when I thought fantasy was all battles and kings. Now I’m inclined to think that the real concerns of fantasy ought to be about not having battles, and doing without kings. I’ll just rewrite it here and there.” Beh, più o meno: stando alle sue parole una delle cose che ha cambiato dalla prima versione all'attuale è la gestione delle battaglie. Da ragazzo credeva che nel fantasy fosse necessario combattere, mentre da adulto pensava che fosse più interessante cercare di evitare le battaglia - e anche qui si possono vedere i semi che daranno poi i loro frutti in Tartarughe Divine. That being said, when Terry Pratchett refrains from these sorts of things, he has indeed written books which I'd class as truly astounding. Small Gods, the first Johnny novel, not to mention the more recent Unseen Academicals to name but a few. The Carpet People is for me one of these, an example of Pratchett at his absolute best writing a unique, simple but powerful work with none of the flaws that seemed to mark many of his more famous later offerings. Pratchett described The Carpet People as “not exactly the book I wrote then. It’s not exactly the book I’d write now. It’s a joint effort but, heh heh, I don’t have to give him half the royalties … This book had two authors, and they were both the same person.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment