276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pudding (400g) - Pack of 2

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At last able to buy the pudding version of steak and kidney. Can get the pie in OZ, love the suet and the meat, also the gravy, getting the large one next Wonderfully comforting, and always satisfying, this pie contains tender chunks of steak and kidney, smothered in a rich beef gravy and topped with Fray Bentos' signature suet pastry. a b Mark Rowe (17 September 2011). "Uruguay: Who made all the pies? Welcome to Fray Bentos". The Independent. WW1: The siege of Fray Bentos at the Battle of Passchendaele". The Telegraph. 6 October 2013. Archived from the original on 6 October 2013. a b c d John Hartley (28 February 2015). Bully Beef and Biscuits: Food in the Great War. Pen and Sword. pp.86–87. ISBN 978-1-4738-5490-1.

In 1865, Liebig's Extract of Meat Company was founded in Britain by German chemist Justus von Liebig. The company established a factory in Uruguay to manufacture a beef extract product that would later be sold under the name Oxo. [9] In 1873, the factory began manufacturing tinned corned beef, which was sold in Britain under the name Fray Bentos, the town in Uruguay where the factory was located. [9] At the end of the 1960s, Vestey disposed of the Anglo factory to the Uruguayan government [19] [note 1] and, in 1968, sold Liebig to Brooke Bond to form the merged manufacturing business of Brooke Bond Liebig. [23] [24] The Anglo plant in Fray Bentos 1968–2013 [ edit ] Woolfson, Daniel (18 December 2020). "Canned goods: Top Products 2020". The Grocer . Retrieved 30 January 2022. My husband is Dutch and the soft suet pastry found on Fray Bentos pies is something he isn't familiar with, or at least he wasn't familiar with, until we tried these. And he loved them! They were microwaved to perfection in 90 seconds and I served them with mash and veg. What a gorgeous meal! I heartily recommend these microwaveable pies. Campbell's subsequently transferred its rights to the brand in the UK to Premier Foods as part of the sale of Campbell's UK operations in 2006. [5] However, Campbell's continues to manufacture and sell steak and kidney pies in Australia under the Fray Bentos brand name. [6] [7] [8] Premier Foods closed the King's Lynn factory in 2007 [27] and moved its Fray Bentos production to its factory in Long Sutton, Lincolnshire. [2]

Fray Bentos Mince Beef & Onion Pie

Alan Davidson (11 August 2014). The Oxford Companion to Food. Oxford University Press. p.507. ISBN 978-0-19-967733-7. Will Kaufman; Heidi Slettedahl Macpherson (2005). Britain and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p.1017. ISBN 978-1-85109-431-8. The perfect size for one person, simply pop in the microwave and it will be ready to eat in a matter of minutes. Mediocre at best. Very small, lots of not so good pastry and very little filling. A complete disappointment and not something I'd buy again. a b c David Newton (1 May 2013). Trademarked: A History of Well-Known Brands, from Airtex to Wright's Coal Tar. History Press Limited. pp.218–219. ISBN 978-0-7524-9612-2.

Riley, Lisa (26 January 2014). "Fray Bentos gets 'deep fill' range of meat pies". The Grocer . Retrieved 30 January 2022. I thought I would give the Fray Bentos microwaveable Steak and Kidney Pudding a try. The suet pastry turned out well and the filling was moist and tasty only for me I preferred a bit more gravy. I still cook these the old fashioned way and was a little confused as the instructions don't include anything other than microwaving. After seeing online that they can be cooked by steaming, I found the flavour to be good, but not as good as they used to be but certainly a handy meal.

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie

Fray Bentos was trademarked by Liebig in 1881 for the purpose of marketing glue and "extract of meat", although, in practice, it was used principally for marketing corned beef. [10] In fact, Fray Bentos became synonymous with corned beef. [10] For a real taste of home, browse our Puddings and Desserts section and get tempted by all of the delicious food that you could have delivered to your door. Remember Angel Delight? Nothing could taste more nostalgic than this lovely whipped dessert and we sell so many different flavours! Ambrosia Devon Custard is another family favourite along with Ambrosia Semolina, Ambrosia Creamed Rice, Ambrosia Rice Pudding and Ambrosia Tapioca (remember that from school lunches?!). For that special occasion you will probably do what we do in the UK and go to your higher end supermarket to get that lovely treat to make your day. We recommend the fabulous Marks and Spencer Salted Caramel Sauce to add that special something to your ice cream or their White Chocolate Fudge Sauce - a real favourite of our grandchildren! Waitrose too can offer you those sweet treats - try their Seriously Chocolatey Dipping Sauce which is simply heavenly! Will Kaufman; Heidi Slettedahl Macpherson (2005). Britain and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History: a Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p.1018. ISBN 978-1-85109-431-8. Most popular with customers in France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Greece, Spain, Netherlands, Australia and Portugal, but you can buy Fray Bentos Microwavable Steak & Kidney Pudding Small for delivery worldwide.

Fray Bentos Microwavable Steak & Kidney Pudding is great if you are in a hurry just Pop it in the micro 1.5 mins Job done.I don't know why John Steams his for 30 mins? Anyway the meat inside is very lean and tender and the crust is just as it should be. In 1964, the use of the brand for corned beef was significantly damaged when an outbreak of typhoid in Aberdeen, in which three people died, was traced to a tin of Fray Bentos corned beef imported from South America. [10] [17] The corned beef had been contaminated as a result of the cooling process during manufacture, in which the untreated water used had come, according to BBC News, "from a river into which an estimated 66 tonnes of human excrement and 250,000 gallons of urine entered every day". [18] Campbell's Soup Company manufactures and sells steak and kidney pies in Australia under the Fray Bentos brand name. [6] [7] [8] History [ edit ] Liebig: 1873–1924 [ edit ] Advertisement for Liebig's Extract of Meat Company, c. 1900

Help us Improve the Website

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment