276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

To enlighten these difficult and complex gameplay mechanics, we would like to show one of them for the first time: Inventory Management. The book would have dramatically benefited from the inclusion of sketches and diagrams of the caves. The descriptions were completely insufficient to provide a sense of their direction and scale.

Stone is a classic Type A personality, intensely focused, brilliant and unrelenting. He personally succeeded in designing a new underwater breathing apparatus, a re-breather, which the US military had spent tens of millions of dollars failing to develop. This SCUBA-on-steroids was a critical tool without which underground exploration, which entails having to traverse considerable distances underwater, was seriously limited. But the drive that defined Stone’s accomplishments did little for his relationships with people. His missions were subject to team mutinies more than once. It cost him his marriage and personal relationships beyond. Tabor, armed with full access to expedition materials, gives us a very detailed look at Stone’s efforts, in particular his attempts at the depths of the Cheve super-cave in Mexico. While working in Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Barr created the Anna Pigeon series. Pigeon is a law enforcement officer with the United States National Park Service. Each book in the series takes place in a different National Park, where Pigeon solves a murder mystery, often related to natural resource issues. She is a satirical, witty woman whose icy exterior is broken down in each book by a hunky male to whom she is attracted (such as Rogelio). The book does a good job in explaining the technique of caving for the layperson, without getting too technical. Tabor is also very good with detailing the many (many) things that can go wrong in a caving expedition, and the consequences of illness, injury or bad planning. When he is on a role, the author does a commendable job with creating tension and suspense. No surprise, books like Blind Descent are all time favorites for me. Adventurous, outdoorsy, and oh-so-delightfully-morbid, this trip down the world’s deepest supercave was everything an (admittedly weird) girl could ask for. Enormous underground cliffs were rappelled, sumps were navigated, a few casualties were endured… all in a noble, twisted effort to get closer to Hell than any other human being has ever been before. Does their circadian rhythm re-establish itself immediately on surfacing and having a good night's sleep or does the caving rhythm persist? Are there any long-term effects from prolonged darkness and being deep underground?NB and Tony H. both write mysteries set in the SW USA. I like his writing a little better. A bit less dramatic/ominous and more straightforward. This was an alright book. I was weary of reading it at first, since I've actually met one of the "super cavers" that this book is about a number of times (Bill Stone), and I find him to be an utter twat. I really didn't want to read a book that glorified this man in any way, shape, or form. This particular caving book chronicles (as much as possible) deep cave discoveries in the Cheve Cave of Mexico and the Krubera cave in The Republic of Georgia. The caves are very different and so are the leaders of the expeditions. The Mexican cave is climatically normal and fairly open while the Georgian one is very cold and filled with very tight, slippery spaces. The leader of the Cheve Cave expeditions (an American) is hot-headed and lusty while the leader of the Krubera expeditions (a Ukranian) is level-headed and systematic.

Sadly, this book did just that. Even though the cave that Stone was exploring is NOT the deepest cave in the world, more than 3/4 of the book was devoted to him. It may as well have been a biography of Stone, and if I'd know that, I wouldn't have read it (why bother reading so much about a man I find disgusting?). it's also randomly juuuuuuust a lil sexist for absolutely no reason. just in case you were wondering, it is good to be a "type a alpha male" and being so excuses all sorts of rude, controlling, and general bad behavior. Also there are very few female cave explorers but all of them are young and beautiful :) Having completed the demo, we've reached a significant milestone. It's been a long journey, but now we're prepared to move on to the next phase: pitching our game to publishers. Over the coming months, this will be our primary focus. As a result, we may not be able to provide monthly updates every month, since we won't be working on the base game for some time. However, we'll make sure to keep you informed whenever there's important news to share.Progress through the story, improve your crafting, weapons and more. Find an energy source and send it to your printer and signal booster. Establish a connection with the surface so you can let them know that you are still alive.

Book six in the mystery series starring U.S. Park Ranger Anna Pigeon takes Anna to New Mexico’s Carlsbad Caverns, where one of her friends, and an avid caver, has been seriously injured while exploring a new (and not open to the public) cave system. Frieda has a serious head injury and is mostly unconscious, but she has asked for Anna. So, Anna swallows her claustrophobia to come to her friend’s aid. In a brief moment of lucidity, Frieda tells Anna that it was not an accident. That said, this would have been at least a four star book, except for the author's blinding arrogance. He claims that caving is the last exploration left to mankind. Space exploration, done. Undersea exploration, done - despite the fact that less than 5% of the world's oceans have been explored! He also discounts any exploration left on the surface of the world, despite the fact there are still place left that human eyes have never seen. This is an arrogance laid out in the prologue and repeated often, ending with this: We talked about what it would mean for me and for our family, and we spent a lot of time praying about it and making sure it was the wisest choice for us at this point in our lives." A former Navy rescue swimmer reaches Everest's summit - and survives a harrowing return trip". Militarytimes.com . Retrieved 16 February 2015.In addition to these types of statements, which make it clear that the author has already decided to put his own goals ahead of his role as a Christian husband and father, he later comments that his wife knew who he was when she married him, as if to say that she has to tolerate it now because they are married. How can this type of activity be 'the wisest choice' for anyone in God's sight when there is no spiritual benefit whatsoever? This is the first Nevada Barr book I've read, and I've only been meaning to read it for 8 years. she writes murder mysteries set at different national parks,and this one happens to be set at my park! So ever since I started working at Carlsbad, visitors have been asking if I've read this. Blind Descent is about The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth, although I suppose you probably already knew that from the subtitle. Well, here’s something the cover doesn’t tell you … it’s specifically about discovering the deepest place IN A CAVE on Earth. It’s an important distinction since there are spots at the bottom of the ocean that are much, MUCH deeper than those discussed in this book. There will never be a cave that is "the world's deepest cave", only "the world's deepest cave so far". How can we know if we can't see? Humanity is very concerned with great height. Flying, scaling Everest and walking on the moon are obvious examples. But can you name the deepest cave on earth? I didn’t think so. Neither can most people. But there are explorers who live for the challenge of finding the deepest part of our planet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment