276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Greetings from Bury Park: Race. Religion. Rock 'n' Roll

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In some ways, I think it can be argued the memoir is also a work about growing up. However, the growing that the protagonist has to work through is the death of his patriarchal father. Carlin, Peter Ames (2013). Bruce!. London, United Kingdom: Simon & Schuster. pp.38–56. ISBN 978-1471112348 . Retrieved 27 March 2020. In March 2005, Manzoor wrote and presented Luton Actually, [9] a documentary for BBC 2. The programme, a personal and affectionate portrait of his hometown, featured Manzoor tracing his family's journey from Pakistan to Luton. The album first charted in the UK on 15 June 1985, in the wake of the Born in the USA tour arriving in Britain, and remained in the Top 100 for ten weeks. [2] Certifications and sales [ edit ] Region

Light: The True Story Behind the Movie Blinded by the Light: The True Story Behind the Movie

I handed the offending machine to her and looked on helplessly as she examined it and, with the simple act of changing the direction of one of the batteries, made it work. My shame was now complete: I had been left looking like a fool in front of the woman whom I was interviewing, and whom I secretly fancied and hoped to seduce with my charm. To her eternal credit, Wurtzel remained helpful and charming despite the unpromising start to our interview; she reminded me of the questions I had asked and even extended our conversation to accommodate the earlier difficulties. This confirmed my long-held theory that anyone who likes Bruce Springsteen is by definition a nice person. After completing the film, I knew I had to read the memoir- and this is how I found “Greetings From Bury Park”. Quite similarly, the memoir talks about Manzoor’s life however, the biggest difference is the memoir focuses on the author’s life as an adult and particularly at a point of his life after the death of his father. As unlikely as the thought that being Asian might be considered cool, that white people might pay to watch a film about a Pakistani family growing up in the seventies or read a book about a Bangladeshi woman or laugh at a comedy sketch where the joke was on them and not the Asians performing the skit." The suggestion that, being brown-skinned and Muslim, I would never be fully British, was reinforced by my own parentsI didn't think the book was that well thought out of brought anything new to an acculturation/accommodation lifestyle. I am interested in the experience of immigrants in England but I didn't really learn anything new and wasn't fascinated by anything the author wrote. I think he could of done so much more and written it better. Charming and affectionate. . . . [The novel] rises above the predictable coming-of-age genre on the strength of Manzoor’s unflinching honesty and his unique world view. . . . You don’t have to be a Springsteen fan to enjoy this book or understand Manzoor’s devotion. You just have to recall a time when you were still open enough that music had the power to shatter the world view you inherited.” —The Miami Herald

Greetings from Bury Park | Penguin Random House Higher Education

Bruce Springsteen– lead vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, harmonica, piano, keyboards, handclaps, bass guitar on “Blinded by the Light” and “Spirit in the Night” In chapters titled with Springsteen song titles Manzoor writes about his experiences growing up at once British, Pakistani, and Muslim, and at the same time not fitting into any of those catefories; indeed, the memoir is basically the story of how he is able to reconcile himself to each of those pieces of his history and reassemble them into a whole and healthy personality. While the movie compresses the timescale of events that in real life extended over a decade to fit into a filmable sequence, the screenplay written by Manzoor captures the important central themes and feelings of the memoir. The absence of any photographs of the real life Sarfraz in the book plus the cover photo from this movie tie-in edition of the actor who played him makes it impossible not to conflate the two. This autobiography, which in the not so distant future will be known by its film name, "Blinded by the Light" is about finding your identity as a minority in a 'white' dominated country. Although Manzoor's story is one that focuses on his British Pakistani identity growing up in Luton in the 1970's and 1980's, it nonetheless is relatable to all those who have found themselves to have grown up "in-between" before the Internet Era. The longing that was expressed through music (in Manzoor's case, Bruce Springsteen) the desire to see other places and escape the stifling confines of Suburbia, traditions that "Whites" cannot understand, and every bit of exotic information was something to hoard and then share with friends. The inspiration for the smash Sundance hit, soon to be a major motion picture, "Blinded by the Light": T he acclaimed memoir about the power of Bruce Springsteen's music on a young Pakistani boy growing up in Britain in the 1970s. Wonderful. . . . Manzoor [writes with] insight, compassion, humor and self-awareness.” —The Sunday TimesSarfraz Manzoor was just two years old when he emigrated to Britain from Pakistan in 1974. His father had worked in the country for over ten years and so for him, it was not only a new country, but a new family set up. Manzoor's family were the typically industrious Pakistani immigrant family - his father worked long hours on the Vauxhall production line in Luton. His mother sewed clothes at home and he and his siblings were expected to help. Life was all about work, work, work and money, money, money. And for the young Manzoor, it seemed there was an awful lot of work, but precious little money was spreading his way. In comparison with some of his white peers, he had few toys, no fashionable clothes and an authoritarian father. He resented these things a great deal. In a bid for mental escape, he developed an obsession with Americana and in particular with the music of Bruce Springsteen. The Boss' lyrics about individual grandeur in the lives of the little people made perfect sense to him.

Greetings from Bury Park : Manzoor, Sarfraz, 1971- : Free Greetings from Bury Park : Manzoor, Sarfraz, 1971- : Free

Our mission is to foster a universal passion for reading by partnering with authors to help create stories and communicate ideas that inform, entertain, and inspire. Gaar, Gillian G. (2016). Boss: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band – The Illustrated History. Minneapolis: Voyageur Press. p.36. ISBN 978-0-7603-4972-4. Luton life … from left: Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Ganatra and Viveik Kalra in Blinded by the Light. Photograph: Landmark Media/Alamy a b Heylin, Clinton (2012). Springsteen Song by Song A Critical Look. New York: Penguin Group (USA) Inc. pp.8–13 . Retrieved 27 March 2020. Bruce Springsteen – Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. – Album Review". AbsolutePunk.net . Retrieved 2014-02-21.In real life, I was literally not allowed to leave the house until I went to university at 18 – not just in the evenings; I never, ever went out. So, the idea of having a girlfriend? I would have been slaughtered. No way. But Gurinder was like, 'C’mon, we’ve got to give this guy a girl. We’ve got to cheer him up a little bit.' So, he’s got a girlfriend, which I didn’t have."

Greetings from Bury Park: A Memoir by Sarfraz Manzoor - Goodreads

The title of Manzoor's affectionate memoir is, as any Springsteen fan will recognize, a play on that of the Boss's 1973 debut album, and it was the New Jersey songwriter's music to which the young Manzoor clung during a childhood in a strict Pakistani Muslim household in the Luton neighborhood of Bury Park. . . . Manzoor leaps clear of cliche by virtue of the story he has to tell, and the insight, compassion, humor and self-awareness with which he tells it. . . . Wonderful.”— The Sunday TimesA tender, funny, book, which captures the weirdness of second-generation British lives as well as anything I've read.” When I rang my father to tell him I had secured my first writing commission he was silent for a few seconds. `How much will they pay you?' he finally asked in Urdu. I never spoke in English to my parents. Blinded by the Light] vibrantly displays a modest and unpretentious sense of optimism, and offers the hope that by connecting with our own choices in music we can transcend cultural and generational differences to reach personal freedom without denying our need to belong.” —The Guardian Manzoor worked for six years at ITN, during which he was a producer and reporter on Channel 4 News [4] interviewing such figures as Woody Allen, Brian Wilson, Sinéad O'Connor, Peter Gabriel, Don McCullin and Charlie Watts. He left Channel 4 News and joined Channel 4 as a deputy commissioning editor [5] before signing a contract with Bloomsbury Publishing for his first book. A small wonder which reads like a melancholy refit of the Buddha of Suburbia, where boredom replaces bohemia and real life is only glimpsed in a Springsteen lyric. The result is a genuinely moving rite of passage in which pop music plays an essential and disposable role.”— Mojo magazine

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment