276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Swifts and Us: The Life of the Bird that Sleeps in the Sky

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Discover the hilarious New York Times bestselling mystery adventure perfect for fans of Robin Stevens and Lemony Snicket. The sharp decline in insect numbers is a major concern, as well as the intensification of agriculture, climate change, and new houses or renovations that block up holes birds traditionally nest in.

This is an exquisitely written book about identity and wordplay that's as warm, masterful and up-to-date as it is laugh-out-loud funny. I also think he attempts too much, in terms of both literary strategy and subject matter (see the second part of the subtitle), and so loses focus. With the help of her sisters and cousin, Shenanigan grudgingly takes on the case, but more murders, a hidden treasure and an awful lot of suspects make thing seriously complicated. Narratively, none of these family pairings are seen as lesser than a quote-unquote traditional one; a few of the extended Family challenge Cook’s position, but their attitude is very much checked and rejected by the core unit. Why is it that books seem to bunch together by topic, with several about Henry James or swifts or whatever all being published within the same year or few years?John Miles, Birdwatching magazine ‘[Swifts and Us] is an excellent introduction to our current state of knowledge of the European Swift and its interactions with people. Like the birds he tracks as they skirl and scream above his home, the book covers a great distance, and not always in a straight line. Shenanigan is determined to be the one to find it, but her treasure-hunting may have to wait when someone tries to murder her Great-Aunt Schadenfreude, the family Matriarch. His most recent novel—cowritten with Mark Oshiro (they/them)— The Sun and the Star is also very proudly queer as it focuses on a young gay hero and his boyfriend. Mike Unwin is the author of more than 30 books for both adults and children, including the RSPB Bird Encyclopedia, RSPB Spotlight: Eagles and A Parliament of Owls.

The insects caught are large in variety, including thrips, flies, aphids, beetles, spiders, moths and mayflies. Reading that goes to the heart is more enjoyable than reading that goes to the filing cabinet, so when the swifts appeared near my new home, I wanted nothing more than to read everything I could about them. A single detective is fun, but a group of detectives with complementary skills and driving interpersonal dynamics?

And then there’s Fauna, one of the kindest Family members, whose identical twin is one of Shenanigan’s top suspects.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment