276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dogger: the much-loved children’s classic

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She said at the time: 'Being chosen for the BookTrust Lifetime Achievement Award is a tremendous honour which I appreciate more than I can say. Themes running throughout the Dogger story include loss, gratitude, friendship, family and kindness. Tributes flooded in for writer, with fans remembering the 'stories of our childhood' that 'will continue forever'

I have derived so much fulfilment from my long career, first as an illustrator of other artists' stories and then creating my own. While Dogger the toy was never lost, thank heavens, my life has had its moments,' says Shirley, whose husband, architect John Vulliamy, died in 2007.

Dogger is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Shirley Hughes, published by The Bodley Head in 1977. [3] Plot [ edit ]

Hughes won the 1977 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. For the 50th anniversary of the Medal (1955–2005), a panel of experts named Dogger one of the top ten winning works, which composed the ballot for a public election of the nation's favourite. [8] Dogger won the public vote and thus it was named the all-time "Greenaway of Greenaways" on 21 June 2007. A truly outstanding story which I have shared with my own children, with many children I have taught , and now with my grandchildren. It has lost none of its appeal over the years but continues to delight.

Shirley Hughes manages to capture the simplicity and sincerity of a child’s love for his favourite toy through her narrative and illustrations; a love that many people can relate to. The conflict-resolution plot gives the perfect sense of catharsis for the child reader and turns this book into a must-read. This heart-warming story was one of my all time favourite books as a child – I can’t count the amount of times I asked my Mum to read it for me! Shirley Hughe’s beautiful illustrations will continue to bring this classic story to life for generations to come. Here are my top Dogger activities you can do with your child to help support his/her speech & language development:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment