276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Cottage Full of Secrets: Escape to the country for the perfect uplifting read

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Patience an elderly spinster leaves Ellie her cottage on the island on the condition she lives in it for a year.

The Cottage of Secrets by Marian Collihole | Waterstones

Ellie Roberts has inherited an cottage on Morwen Island from Patience Ellis who she just remembers vaguely from her childhood but she has to live in the cottage for a year. The cottage is in a state but Ellie can see potential at the end of the year will she sell it. We see Patience and her life as a child and what she went through all the years liked this part of the story. Jane Lovering was born in Devon, England but, following extradition procedures, now lives in Yorkshire. She has five children, four cats, two dogs and doesn't believe in housework so the bacteria and dust are approaching sentience and now rank among the pets. Incidentally, she doesn’t believe in ironing either, and the children all learned self-defensive cookery at early ages. She works in a local school and also teaches creative writing, which are extreme ways of avoiding the washing up. During WWII, a young woman (Patience) befriends a U Boat survivor who washes up on the shore near her home. Their story sets the narrative for the book. One aspect of the novel I really loved is women supporting women, something I don’t see nearly often enough in either romance or fiction in general. When it comes to romance specifically, any woman who isn’t the central heroine is presented as either her catty, promiscuous romantic rival or a maternal figure stripped of essentially all traits and personality. Current day - Ellie has inherited a cottage on an almost forgotten island, from a grandmother she's forgotten. One stipulation is, she most spend a year on the island before collecting her inheritance. There she finds the secrets of the island and Patience.

More in Offers

Even though The Country Escape is the only other Jane Lovering book I’ve read so far, I’m definitely starting to notice similarities between the two narratives. It’ll be interesting to see whether they exist in these two books only or are a staple of Lovering’s work. Stella’s husband Andy is controlling and violent towards her and some scenes are upsetting, but written very well. The darkness of Stella’s story contrasts well with the humour in Tamzin’s, but she too has had a hard time in a previous relationship. Welcome to Morwen Island, all of you. Welcome to the story of Patience and Elowen and the Kittiwake Cottage! Two sisters and the sacrifices they had to decide to make…..what courage they had to find within themselves. This is a dual-time of WWII and the present. During the war, Patience Ellis’ father rescues a young man many believe to be a German sailor. He goes by Dutch. Patience lives life accordingly to her own rules, but after her adopted daughter dies, she loses touch with her young granddaughter. She leaves her island cottage to Ellie with the stipulation that she live there for a year. Life on the island stirs long-ago memories for Ellie, with surprising revelations.

Cottage by the Sea Series by Rebecca Alexander - Goodreads Cottage by the Sea Series by Rebecca Alexander - Goodreads

Set in the present and beginning during WWII, the narrative tells the fascinating story of how these women are connected. It reveals secrets and family deceit but also, the overwhelming pull the island has on them. The historical aspects are both intriguing and heart-wrenching, as we learn about young Patience's "Patsy's" life and the impact the war had on herself and her family. Eighty years later, Ellie realises the rundown cottage is more than a renovation project.

Summary

Coast at Southwold 27 miles, Diss 2.5 miles, Bungay and the Broads 16 miles, Norwich 21 miles, Bury St Edmunds 24 miles. Tamzin is recovering from a long period of time as a victim of emotional abuse and gaslighting at the hands of her partner. After finally summoning the strength to leave him and start a new life, she moves to a remote cottage in Yorkshire with her pet fox, who she is rehabilitating. Upon moving in she meets her mysterious neighbour Euan and doesn’t quite know what to make of him. I completely enjoyed this emotional read with strong female lead characters and the loving and supportive community of the islanders. I loved Tam’s timeline and her journey of finding herself again. Her story has this perfect balance of friendship, realism, romance, and humour. Its pace and flow were just perfect. I loved how Jane approached the difficult issue of abuse and how abusive relationships can take many different forms and happen to both women and men.

The secrets of the cottage garden - Country Life The secrets of the cottage garden - Country Life

Master bedroom : double bed, bedside drawer units and lamps, dressing table, wardrobe, free-standing drawer unit. I loved that there was a fox as the pet in the story. it's very different kind of pet. I also like that I loved that Euan was so different as a hero - very gentle, very damaged, a kind and often covered in mud and twigs. I also liked that Tamsin was portrayed as somebody who was recovering from having been a victim, rather than someone who is still a victim.

To say I was hooked to this book was an understatement, I was rambling about it to Laura when I was just 20-30% in, telling her how good it was and that she needed to add it to her tbr, then that same evening I was up till the little hours as I just couldn’t put it down – even my husband commented on how hooked I was! I enjoyed the descriptions of the Yorkshire countryside, very peaceful and relaxing. I also enjoyed seeing Tazmin and her mysterious neighbour Euan help each other heal from past hurts and come alive again.

The Cottage of Secrets By Marian Collihole | Used - Wob

A Cottage Full of Secrets by Jane Lovering is an enjoyable contemporary fiction that has a little bit of everything. A relaxing read. I saw this on NetGalley and I requested it immediately because I'm a big fan of Jane Lovering’s books. A charming self-catering cottage in a rural spot near Diss. The ultimate family holiday home with garden and parking, close to the Norfolk Broads. Beautifully written in dual timeline format, with some strong female leads, both having been in abusive relationships, wanting to break free. Visually descriptive, with the surrounding areas of the Yorkshire countryside sounding idyllic, and the perfect escape.

Toys

Kitchen/diner: electric oven and 4 ring hob, large fridge/freezer, microwave, dresser, table with seating for 8. Stable door to garden. Secrets of The Cottage By The Sea is the first book of this author’s that I’ve read. Book Description When Tamzin finds a sepia photo of a woman, Stella, standing in the cottage’s garden, there’s a sadness in her eyes that Tamzin recognises. As the cottage reveals more of its secrets, Tamzin is desperate to find out whether Stella got her happy ending. And as she gradually makes new friends, and starts to win over her mysterious neighbour Euan, Tamzin dares to dream about her own happy ending too… Sitting room: two sofas, coffee table, Smart TV showing Freeview, speaker with AUX point, wood-burning stove, telephone for emergency calls. The book opens with our introduction to Stella. It’s 1973 and she’s making plans to escape from her violent, controlling husband. This first chapter is heartbreaking as he has messed with her mind so thoroughly that she’s convinced she is useless and to blame for everything.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment