276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Open Season (Bob Skinner Book 34)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The story became bogged down in the middle and it became difficult to remember who was related to whom. Can they uncover the mystery before it’s too late, or will another victim be claimed, maybe even taking them in the process? Scottish author Quintin Jardine has been writing crime novels with his unique brand of detective fiction for a number of years now. A promising start, a middle section where things become a bit 'bogged down' and then a denouement with a very unlikely culprit. He was educated in Motherwell and in Glasgow where he studied at what was then the city’s only University.

Open Season by Quintin Jardine | Waterstones Open Season by Quintin Jardine | Waterstones

Starting with a murder case, they are brought to the Royal Mile where a body has been discovered, the victim being one Michael Mortimer. I have read and enjoyed all the Bob Skinner series for their stories but with the caveat that the professional incest if that is the right description was becoming a stretch of credibility. Setting many of his novels across the many places he has travelled during his lifetime, he ensure to draw upon his vast wealth of experience within his writing. Quintin Jardine was born in Motherwell, but he escaped, and now lives in East Lothian and in Spain, with his wife and extended family. Life seems to be going well for Assistant Chief Constable Robert Skinner - he's even the proud new father of a baby boy, Jazz.

Quintin Jardine was born once upon a time in the West - of Scotland rather than America, but still he grew to manhood as a massive Sergio Leone fan. That’s when he discovers a corpse belonging to the one-time embezzler of those millions during his investigation. Wanting to sell his work beyond though, he quickly changed this to ‘Britain’s toughest cop’, thus securing his title. Set within Edinburgh, this novel introduces the Detective Chief Superintendent Bob Skinner, a tough talking, hard-boiled cop working on the police-force there.

Open Season by Quintin Jardine - Books on Google Play

When an Edinburgh car showroom is torched, leaving a charred body among the burnt-out luxury cars, Deputy Chief Constable Bob Skinner wonders if a life of crime has finally caught up with one of the city's most elusive villains. Studying law, he also had a penchant for snooker, something which helped to inform the man that he is today, along with his work. At the personal level everything seems to come back the Skinner's extended family, unknown illegitimate children appearing after a couple of decades is one example and this book certainly stretches the credibility past breaking point when two corpses are revealed after trees are blown down. Married once before in 1997, he now has four children now adults along with two grandchildren and an assorted number of pets and animals.A good paced plot with several intertwining threads that had the grey cells stimulated and working hard. This was to be the book that also started the Bob Skinner series, charting the exploits of its eponymous protagonist. Oz Blackstone is a PI who’s tasked with tracking down some missing millions on behalf of an insurance company. Private Investigations is Quintin Jardine's twenty-sixth Bob Skinner mystery and sees the Edinburgh sleuth plunged into a gruelling case, in which no score will go unsettled. After career as a journalist, government information officer and media relations consultant, he took to the creation of crime fiction.

Open Season (Bob Skinner Book 34) eBook : Jardine, Quintin

This is the 30th book, but considering Alex has survived "Kill Alex Cross" before, chances are he survives this one. A shocking act of violence at the Palace of Westminster draws Edinburgh's toughest cop into a complex new case.I will have to go back and read the previous book as it has been awhile since I read it and I had trouble with the story line between the two stories. I have read all the 34 Bob Skinner books, they are to me simply the best crime fiction, initially another Scottish Police procedural way back in the first 20 novels, Jardine peoples his books with wonderful characters some have been on the entire journey of Bob Skinner. If I had read this as a one off I might have enjoyed it more because the faults would not have been so obvious, but that ending did put a damper in things.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment