276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pereira Maintains

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But Pereira is a man of many regrets, the greatest of which is that he never had children. Into his life walks a young man named Rossi who, Pereira tells his wife’s picture, is "about the age of our son if we'd had a son.” Pereira starts to treat Rossi in a rather fatherly fashion. Rossi is broke and needs a job. Pereira hires him to write obituaries in advance for writers and famous people who might die in the future. Additionally, Rossi often asks Pereira to advance him money on these articles which Pereira does even though he deems every article Rossi hands in as unpublishable. Pereira not only continues to give Rossi money he unwittingly becomes more and more embroiled in this young man’s life, changing the trajectory of his own life. Tanmateix, la seva perspectiva comença a canviar quan coneix en Mario Rossi i la seva nòvia Marta, els quals comencen a parlar de termes com justícia i revolució. En Pereira es troba ajudant la parella sense voler-ho, o volent-ho, i una sèrie de fets simbòlics fan que es replantegi tota la seva existència i que s'impliqui fins a límits insospitats. Venticinque brevi capitoli punteggiati da quel salmodiante “ Sostiene Pereira” che ci ricorda il linguaggio di una cosa raccontata, come una testimonianza resa al narratore. The relationship that most profoundly and universally characterizes our sense of being is that of life with death, because the limits imposed on our existence by death are crucial to the understanding and evaluation of life.’

Le pagine della letteratura possono coincidere con quelle della storia, se si ha il coraggio di sconfiggere l’indifferenza dei singoli. Dictator holds utter power over the country… Portugal turned into the authoritarian state… Everyone exists in constant fear… The nation is immersed in total deceit and lies… Sostiene Pereira, il libro che avete tra le mani, dice in fondo tutte queste cose. Cominciò a dirle nell’estate del 1993, quando Antonio Tabucchi lo scrisse con i baffi nella sua casa di Vecchiano, e proseguì dopo il 2001, quando poi se li tagliò. E continua a dirle oggi, a venticinque anni dalla prima uscita, e dopo il successo planetario che lo ha accompagnato, con film, riduzioni teatrali e traduzioni. Il suo autore, nel frattempo, riposa nella tomba degli scrittori portoghesi del cimitero Dos Prazeres di Lisbona. Lo stile pacato e soffuso, quasi dimesso, di Tabucchi risulta indispensabile nel delineare il risveglio dal torpore; quella rinascita a cui noi, molti di noi, smettiamo presto di anelare.

Despite the young man's unwillingness and inability to conform to the standards the newspaper editor (or rather the political circumstances) requires, Dr. Pereira tries to be of help to him. T)he presence of the political element affects the content as well as the structure and language." - Anthony Costantini, World Literature Today A month later Pereira paid his visit to me. I didn't know what to say to him then and there. And yet I dimly understood that his vague self-presentation as a literary character was symbolic, metaphoric: somehow he was the ghostly transposition of the old journalist to whom I bid my last farewell. I felt embarrassed, but I warmly welcomed him. No skin off his nose, retorted Dr Cardoso, because there’s the state censorship and every day, before your paper appears, the proofs are examined by the censors, and if there’s something they don’t like don’t you worry it won’t be printed, they leave blank spaces, I’ve already seen Portuguese papers with huge blank spaces in them, and it makes me very angry and very sad. Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I really liked how Pereira started out that way, living as so many of us do, not wanting to get involved until he has to. Then his gradual involvement in political affairs is very believable – and I’m not sure how Tabucchi managed that in such a short novel!As is the narration by Derek Jacobi. Absolutely fantastic narration. It couldn't be better. Women sound like women. Derek Jacobi is the most talented male narrator of women that I have ever come across. He does secretaries and bitchy caretakers and attractive women, each and every one is pitch-perfect. All the different characters have their own intonation. Each sentence has the perfect inflection to say what the author wants said. I cannot praise the narration enough. ANTONIO Tabucchi is one of the contemporary Italian masters who have brought the literary novel in line with the novel of suspense and compulsion. He is not like the Umberto Eco of The Name of the Rose, a novelist whose vision expands to take in the panoply of the mediaeval past so that the plot is like a gulf of mystery that contains all the strangeness and assurance of scholasticism, Franciscan radicalism and warring papal factions. But he is a writer with a sense of history who can concentrate his technique so that the curve of the action and the cadence of the sentences seem at one. The effect of these two words is incredibly interesting. Although the novel is narrated in the third person, these two oft-repeated words make it clear that this is Pereira’s own testimony – in that way it becomes similar to a first-person account, with all the issues of limited perspective and potential unreliability that go along with that. It also raises the question of who the narrator is – who did Pereira tell his story to, and who is now telling it to us, and why? He comes to believe in a theory his doctor advances, of the Confederation of Souls. According to the theory, we have not a single soul but several, all of which battle against each other but ultimately submit to the domination of a single ruling ego. His doctor believes that Pereira is seeing the overthrow of one ruling ego by another.

Despite its economy, Pereira Maintains was never perfunctory. It conjured out of its small hat a vast and touching sense of the humane. When the eponymous protagonist, an elderly and overweight journalist, confides each day in the photograph of his dead wife, I experienced their relationship as a living thing. When he tells her the young man Rossi is "about the age of our son if we'd had a son", I understood why Pereira risks paying him for articles he knows cannot be published because of their implicit critique of Portugal's authoritarian regime. Philosophy appears to concern itself only with the truth, but perhaps expresses only fantasies, while literature appears to concern itself only with fantasies, but perhaps it expresses the truth.Lo consiglio a chi vuole leggere una storia bella e malinconica, ma paradossalmente anche a chi è alla ricerca di un corroborante inno alla vita.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment