276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dying In The Wool: Number 1 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries): Book 1 in the Kate Shackleton mysteries

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Heat is also necessary to set dye in wool, but stirring and agitation are discouraged to prevent felting and shrinkage.

Dying in the Wool - Macmillan Dying in the Wool - Macmillan

These outfits are squashed by pre-war skirts, shortened to calf-length, divided cycling skirt, and the shabby coat I wore when setting off with the other Voluntary Aid Detachment women and girls from Leeds railway station back in the mists of time. I learned to spin and dye yarn in the early 1970’s and we did all the things you are learning about now. In particular, I will show you the basic yarn dyeing methods to achieve these 6 distinct color patterns: Solid, Semi-Solid or Tonal, Gradated or Ombre, Variegated or Multi-Color, Speckled or Sprinkle Dyed, Self Striping Yarn. I can pounce on something wonderful, like the pleated silk Delphos robe, my elegant black dress, stylish Coco Chanel suit and the belted dress with matching cape that you can't get a coat over.Step 1: Pour the distilled white vinegar and the salt in the glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl. Unlike commercial dyes that come with preparation instructions, you have to figure your way out with natural dyes. So who better to get to the bottom of Joshua's mysterious disappearance in this charming traditional mystery by Frances Brody?

How To Dye Wool - Silver Bobbin How To Dye Wool - Silver Bobbin

Fiber reactive dyes are a great alternative to acid dyes and color wool very well by reacting with its fibers.If mixing several colors together to create a specific shade, you must count each drop of every color used towards your total per quart allotment. Note: if you are planning on dyeing a bunch of self striping yarn in the future, you may want to invest in a Warping Board to make skeining easier. You have to be very careful not to handle the now fully saturated wool too much, or wet felting will occur. This well-plotted and atmospheric tale is enriched by technical expertise and a vividly imagined Yorkshire setting.

Dying in the Wool: a Kate Shackleton mystery by Frances Brody Dying in the Wool: a Kate Shackleton mystery by Frances Brody

Some kind soul on instagram (where you can see the whole journey in my “yarn dye” story highlights) told me that gel food colouring works so I picked up a tube in my local Hobbycraft – this was a lot more successful! That’s why soda ash, which is an essential part of cotton dyeing, should be completely avoided during wool dyeing. However, to dye wool, you must follow a different process from what you might be used to when dyeing cotton or you risk ruining your wool.Kate Shackleton joins Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs in a sub-group of young female amateur detectives who survived and were matured by their wartime experiences…. Unless you are using a baking rack, you will need to turn the wool over multiple times to ensure both sides are drying evenly, and to pour away any excess dye that will work its way out of the dense wool.

DYING IN THE WOOL | Kirkus Reviews DYING IN THE WOOL | Kirkus Reviews

The main benefit of vinyl sulfone dye is that it needs significantly more heat than other acid dyes to react, so manufacturers can sell it dissolved in water. I mixed the gel colouring with water in a small pot and just went to town with the colour allocation using different dilutions and a few splodges of neat colour applied directly to the yarn. This gives the yarn a mottled or marbled look which adds more interest to a knit or crochet piece than a solid dye color.Add a measure of mystery - Until the day that Master of the Mill Joshua Braithwaite goes missing in dramatic circumstances, never to be heard of again.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment