276°
Posted 20 hours ago

LEGO Ideas The Globe 21332 Building Set; Build-and-Display Model for Adults; Vintage-Style Spinning Earth Globe; Home Decor Gift for People with a Passion for Travel, Geography and Arts (2,585 Pieces)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Its a fine piece of LEGO engineering and design – spheres are traditionally difficult shapes to get out of LEGO, but through a clever mix of Technic and plates, LEGO have pulled it off.

There is a bit of interesting construction on the underside – a number of 1×1 round plates are surrounded by rubber tires. This is the same “grip technique” that LEGO has used in the past on some of their larger builds like the 71720 Ninjago Fire Stone Mech. This design allows the weight of the model to combine with tread of the rubber to help keep the completed set from sliding around. This is a terrific display piece, and if you own and love the LEGO Map, you’re bound to love the set! Real Value [3]– The pricetag is quite dear, but thankfully, its size and displayability more than make up for it. My main criticism would be that some of the pieces seem a little poorly manufactured. Theres noticable bumps on the plates that make up the oceans where it seems there was possibly a flaw in the LEGO mould.

Currently popular on idealo

Oh and the best part about these printed Continent and Ocean tiles… they glow in the dark, which create a really cool effect at night when you turn off the lights! Each hemisphere has 16 of these slices, which you build in sequence, decorating them with landmasses or continents as you go along. And last but not least, here’s a look at the printed plaque which has The Earth on it. I love the mini map! Next comes the most repetitive section of the build, where you build these slices or wedges for each Hemisphere, beginning with the Northern Hemisphere.

As the world is mostly covered by ocean, dark blue plates are used as the “base” of the Globe, and any landmasses and continents are applied built over these plates. You get a taste of this as you fill out the equator, and the Technic core, which stretches from end to end goes in next. You then move on to the exterior – the Globe is completely hollow, so the majority of the build involves building the shell, or Earth’s crust – and you start with the equator – this ring of 6 x 6 plates that form the circumference of the LEGO Globe. The globe does spin if you give it a shove, providing as much of a play feature as you could ask for in a set like this. (I’m sure some clever soul will figure out how to motorize it.)The LEGO Ideas Globe will be released on 1 February 2022, and will be available on LEGO.com or your local LEGO store. Asia is a mixed bag for me – continental Asia is well done, as is India, and the Japanese isles, but South East Asia, with its archipelago of Islands is quite hit and miss.

You can see on the underside, how these pieces are used to create the gentle slope that enables the Globe’s curvature. I’m pretty sure it was intentional, but I really appreciated the use of red and yellow round plates under each pole, to represent the Earth’s magnetic poles!

Recently Viewed

I cannot overstate how fun spinning it around is – it feels so effortless, and satisfying, and I find myself constantly reaching over to it and giving it a twirl for the fun of it. Africa is superb, and one of my favourite views on the Globe. The contrast between desert and more tropical sections is done really well here. I think the tan parts are used to represent desert areas, but also elevated mountain ranges.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment