276°
Posted 20 hours ago

BAR MITTS Cold Weather Road Bicycle Handlebar Mittens, fits Shimano Shifters with Externally Routed Shift Cables

£26.11£52.22Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Extreme Bar Mitts have a removable cuff on the end of the sleeves with a slit opening that your arms go through. Because of the semi-rigid nature of the thick neoprene, the mitts hold their form and leave a plenty of room inside to move your fingers and shift.

New without tags: A brand-new, unused and unworn item that is not in its original retail packaging . The first is staying dry with moisture management, the next is wind proof, and the final one is insulation in my opinion. As they say, the best defense is a good offense, and the easiest way to combat cold-fingered misery is to keep your fingers from getting cold in the first place.You still get the feel of your bike and the road, but your hands won’t freeze in the first few miles. With hands wrapped tightly around the bars, keeping the wind off is the number one thing that you can do to keep your hands warm. Note: If you have a Side-Mounted Display like the 500C, DM07 or KTLCD5 you will not be able to view the screen while using these. You did occasionally get whacked by branches and bushes, since they stick out like giant oven mitts or hand paddles, and sometimes they got grabbed, so you had to keep a watchful eye on things. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products.

However, with most cold-weather fat biking you’re not cornering as hard as you would on a normal mountain bike in a berm in the summer, so this issue was rarely a problem. These are one of my favorite seasonal bicycling items (my other favorite is my LED illuminated and reflective safety vest – I am extremely easy to spot at night). Extremities are the first parts of the body to get cold on a mid-winter fat bike ride and the last to warm up. I had no problems on any ride tossing my hands in and out of the openings, even on some moderately technical terrain.And after having been caught in a snowstorm that I wasn’t planning on riding through, I can report that they also keep your hands dry.

The openings of the Bar Mitts don’t extend far enough forward that I can comfortably ride on the top of the hoods. I ended up giving up on the second one tightened properly after a couple minutes and just manually stuck in the plug hole and rode off. I have been cycling 15 miles to work year-round including in sub-zero temperatures and the hands have always the weak link. As one can imagine, not being on the shifter and brake levers had its downfalls especially when it came to descents and emergency braking.The neoprene itself features “a closed cell construction [with] air bubbles that serve as insulators,” according to Bar Mitts. Neoprene polychloroprene is a synthetic rubber, that was invented by DuPont scientists in 1930, and is produced by polymerization of chloroprene (C4H5Cl). This is a family-friendly, make-ahead recipe for family bike camping– the kind I used on Mother's Day Off family bike camping trips. Lastyear I used thick 3m weather tech snow gloves but even at 10F I'd generate enough heat to get them wet, then the finger tips would freeze and I'd be sol. But once you’re acquainted, riding with pogies feels the same as riding with thicker gloves—except that your hands are warmer, and you have better dexterity.

Additionally, the Bar Mitts themselves are easy to install and remove as temperature changes warrant. They are easy to get in and out of, so you can actually eat and drink on your ride without having to take your massive winter gloves off. While perhaps you could find lighter or more stylish pogies from a different brand, it’d be tough to improve upon the utility and functionality that the Bar Mitts provide.Originally created in 1974 by a kayaker named Billy Nutt to stay warm while boating, pogies look roughly like T-shaped pouches, each with a large opening for the wrist and smaller openings on either side of the fist for each end of a kayak paddle. In the teens and closer to the 20 degrees, I was almost too warm at times, and would flip open the convertible mittens inside the Bar Mitts and use my bare hands directly, although bare hands were a tad too cool at that temperature. The thought of having your hands shoved into pockets while on a bike is a bit unsettling, but I didn’t lose much range of motion, and was even comfortable riding out of the saddle with lots of bike sway.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment