Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

How do I create a 6 column footer full of links?

A forum for web designers working with the Magento system.

How do I create a 6 column footer full of links?

Postby plu_au » Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 am

How do I create/build a footer made up of 6 columns?

4 of the 6 columns will contain links to given Mage pages plus CMS pages like Customer service and so on.

The 5th column will contain the newsletter signup form.

The 6th column will contain the community poll form.

How is this achieved, more info the better :)
plu_au

Re: How do I create a 6 column footer full of links?

Postby edmondscommerce » Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 pm

first turn on developer path hints to get the exact path to the footer file you are using in your template

then edit that file and create your columns

as for how to actually do the columns, that's up to you though some kind of CSS'd list would be the usual.
edmondscommerce

Postby plu_au » Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 am

From what I understand one approach would be to move control over the 'custom footer' to Admin via Static Blocks so it can be easily modified on an ongoing basis directly using html.

This would involve removing most of the default footer code in the footer.phtml file and replacing it with a call for the static block from CMS.

The static block 'footer_links' would contain the html this way it can be modified directly via Admin/CMS rather than having to go into footer.phtml file

Theoretically this method would work but Im no expert and actually a Mage novice so would appreciate feedback.

Assuming this works what Im not sure of is:

a)where to put the CSS -can CSS be placed directly above the html in the static block using the style tags or does it need to be called from a style sheet?
b)what the code should look like in footer.phtml file to call the static block?
c)if one column was to contain the community poll how is this done/called?
plu_au

Postby fishpig » Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 pm

There are many ways you can achieve what you want but the method you outlined above would work just fine (I would do it a different way but that's just personal choice).

As for the CSS, you should place this inside an external Stylesheet.

To access your static blocks, see the article I wrote on it (http://fishpig.co.uk/2010/04/14/accessi ... n-magento/) as there are many different ways to access static blocks.
fishpig

Return to Magento Designers