276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Chinese-ish: Home cooking, not quite authentic, 100% delicious

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tuck in to Hot and sour noodles and Chicken congee, make your own Chilli oil and Lazy XO sauce, and enjoy those meals for one with Burnt spring onion noodles or Chiffon omelette.

It was at the beginning of the pandemic that her employer shut the doors and as a project to occupy herself, Rosheen began documenting all the inauthentic Asian recipes she most loved to eat each day. Together, they've produced Chinese-ish, a cookbook pooling all the Chinese-inspired recipes that have come into their lives, which they describe as not quite authentic but 100 per cent delicious. Kaul and Hu have written an excellent introduction to Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisine, recommended for intermediate to advanced cooks. Crafted out of a desire to share family and personal experiences, new tastes, and a legacy of adapted recipes, Chinese-ish is a cultural and culinary testament. There were slightly too many ingredients I don't usually have at home and the cooking instructions were slightly too long and complex (lazy cook - one pan, less than 30mins style).By this definition, a perfect omelette has a pale and even yellow colour, with no signs of caramelisation.

Decades later I look back on these memories with mirth and much joy…and these fond recollections prompted my interest in this book and my determination to learn how to cook some Chinese-ish food successfully (no more soggy stir fry from me)! This book is literally a memoir in food, documenting dishes they love and why they are sharing them with their readers, I think Rosheen summed it up beautifully as ‘ memories and moshu‘…this engaging book is an ode to their complicated heritage (hence the title of the book; as being Chinese-ish, a succinct descriptor of their identities) but their reality is much more complex. Chinese-ish celebrates the confident blending of culture and identity through food—take what you love and reject what doesn't work for you. Along with the book's photographs, bright, light-hearted illustrations from Joanna Hu perfectly match the recipes.

Payments made using National Book Tokens are processed by National Book Tokens Ltd, and you can read their Terms and Conditions here. Thank you to Anne Cater, Random Things Tours and Murdoch Books for my stunning gifted copy and for having me on the blog tour for this book. Heat the sesame oil in a wok or a frying pan over medium heat, add the ginger and stir-fry until fragrant.

Well, anywhere is the answer, but I still feel I should highlight some recipes for you, and I do so gladly, hard though it is to leave any out. All of the food looked and sounded delicious, however, most of the recipes had a lot of ingredients, instructions or both.It can be a little difficult to review a cookbook (especially if you haven’t made any of the recipes yet). Chinese-ish takes questions of culinary identity, tosses them up in the air, and lets them land where they may. Born in Singapore to parents of mixed Asian heritage (Kashmiri, Peranakan Chinese, Filipino), she grew up between Melbourne, Malaysia, China and Indonesia. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.

Chinese-ish celebrates the confident blending of culture and identity through food-take what you love and reject what doesn't work for you.Get yourself a carbon steel wok (as my husband did recently; he’s loving it), hit up the supermarket’s international aisle or your local Asian market, and you’ll be dishing up variations on fried rice, Sichuan-style noodles and chiffon omelets in no time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment