276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Sisters: A Gripping Psychological Suspense: A gripping psychological thriller from the Sunday Times No.1 bestselling author of The Girls Who Disappeared

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was simply captivated by this book. The writing is very mature and the plot is creative, ingenious and very atmospheric with great vivid descriptions. I could visualise the seafront at Oldcliffe with its cafes and hotels, the tourists on the promenade enjoying the views. I could almost feel the rush of sea water as waves crashed on the seawalls. And I could clearly imagine the old mysterious pier shrouded by fog and battered by wind, rain and the waves. The Sister è il primo romanzo scritto da questa autrice, e nonostante la sua scrittura sia sempre molto buona e scorrevole, non penso proprio che questo libro possa essere messo dentro alle categorie dei thriller, forse nella narrativa. Ma di thriller non ha proprio niente. Loved this book and actually read it in one sitting. Kept me guessing until nearly the end, which was tantalising in itself. Now wondering where this author will go next. Will definitely look out for anything else she writes. Hope she continues in an upwardly trajectory.”

The twists and turns in this outstanding psychological thriller will have you questioning what’s going on in every chapter’ FABULOUS Kathryn, her cold and bitter daughter, resents Una’s presence. More disturbing is the evidence suggesting two girls lived here before. The characters were amazing, especially those of Abi and Bea. You can’t help but feel for Abi at the start of the novel. I found myself worrying for her before I had even found out what happened between her and Lucy. She just seemed so vulnerable and lost. Then you have the enigmatic Bea. Vibrant and outgoing but she just seems too ready to accept Abi – who is to all extents and purposes a total stranger – into her life. The whole cast were well drawn and fascinating, each coming into their own just when the time was right and surprising me in ways that I never would have imagined. Wow,’ I can’t help but say as my eyes sweep the hallway. A vase of fresh daisies sits on an antique console table next to a small glass ashtray which is overflowing with bunches of keys. The leopard-print pumps she wore yesterday sit neatly next to the radiator. ‘This place is amazing. Whose is it?’

Summary

On the other hand, I had a hard time with the final twist, finding it a little far fetched, even though I did appreciate the irony of the situation.

For much of the book you see events from Abi's point of view but some chapters are in Beatrice's voice. This moving between points of view plants a lot of doubts in your mind about who is telling the truth and who is manipulating whom. At various twists and turns in the plot I found myself distrusting all the characters. I've read a lot of books with similar themes recently but this one definitely stood out for me. I think that it benefits from the "Broadchurch" effect as that's what it reminded me of. Not the story but because the setting of a small seaside holiday town, out of season and full of interesting characters with secrets to keep, really turns this into a first rate dark and atmospheric psychological suspense. Highly recommended.

Customer reviews

Francesca (or ‘Frankie’ as she was known as a teenager) receives a call from Daniel, the brother of her childhood friend, Sophie. In 1997, Sophie went missing – all that was found was one of her trainers, left on the old pier where Frankie and her friends often went to spend time. Now, a body has been found which is believed to be Sophie’s, and Daniel asks Frankie to return home and help him find out what really happened all those years ago. Was Sophie’s disappearance a tragic accident, or was it murder?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment