276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A History of Magic, Witchcraft, and the Occult (DK a History of)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Engaging text and lavish illustrations with over 500 full-colour images that bring the subject to life. Engaging text and lavish illustrations with over 500 full-color images that bring the subject to life. Special features on aspects of magic, such as oracle bones of ancient China, the Knights Templar, and magic at the movies, and "plants and potions", such as mandrake and belladonna examine topics in great detail. If the hit drama Succession has left you hankering for more of the super-rich in your life, Solent University offers an Msc in superyacht design – although you’ll need at least a 2:1 in engineering or technology to understand the course’s blend of naval architecture and structural design. Students will also work on “real-world” assignments, so there will be ample opportunity to spend time on luxury yachts.

The multidisciplinary degree, which starts in September 2024, will draw on history, literature, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, psychology, drama and religion to show the role of magic on the west and the east. A History of Magic, Witchcraft, and the Occult by D.K. Publishing is not a book for people who are looking at magic/magical ideas in the New Age, Wiccan, Modern Witch, or other such movements. It is a book based on archaeological and anthropological records. As most of those are still highly western-based, Europe is more of the base of the book. Not entirely, but it is what we know in the archaeological record. If you’re interested in learning how psilocybin can help with treatment-resistant depression, Exeter has another UK-first postgraduate course – in psychedelic studies. The postgraduate certificate draws on psychology, psychiatry and neuroscience to teach healthcare workers about using psilocybin, LSD, MDMA and other psychoactive drugs in therapeutic work, although they are still not licensed for treatment in the UK yet.It says it will equip students with skills including creative thinking, analytical thinking, curiosity and lifelong learning. A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult charts the extraordinary narrative of one of the most interesting and often controversial subjects in the world - from ancient animal worship and shamanism, through alchemy and divination to modern Wicca and the resurgence of the occult in 21st-century literature, cinema, and television. First, it is brutally Eurocentric. Almost all discussion of non-Western magic is restricted to the opening chapter on ancient magic, with a few asides on the Aztecs, Voodoo, and European reactions to magical traditions the "discovered." I know enough about East Asian religion to feel that this seriously neglects the ongoing development of ritual and folk magic in China, Korea, and Japan in favor of focusing heavily on European witch trials and hermetic traditions. I find those things interesting too, but there is much more to the world of magic. Este libro nos habla de la magia, el ocultismo y la brujería a lo largo de la historia de la humanidad. I wish I had this in a physical copy, and I likely will get one in the future when I start having money again. Right now, it’s just not within my affordability. It would be useful for how I, as a writer, like to build my magic systems based on real-world thoughts on magic. While not all of my magic systems have a direct one-to-one correlation to our world but using the logic of the world we live in to embody magic in my stories feels essential.

As part of the course, you will be encouraged to draw on your own experiences in relating to the material taught in the course, through discussions and open questions, such as areas where we might be superstitious, have talismanic objects we turn to, or even have more definite beliefs or disbeliefs in supposed praeternatural forces. A lavishly illustrated history of witchcraft, magic, and the occult, from Paleolithic cave rituals to Wicca and modern paganism. Modern witchcraft. Thelema (Greek for “will”). Divination Runes. “The function of magic is to ritualize man’s optimism.” DK is known for its layouts filled with photographs and images that add to the information being presented, and this book was no different. Filled with images from primary sources as well as photographs of artifacts. They covered many of the major historical sources and theories as well as historical figures throughout time.It is possible to enrol on many of our adult education coursesafter the course has already started. For non-language courses this is subject entirely to agreement by the tutor. For language courses it is subject to agreement by the language coordinator conducting level assessment. If you want to join a course late do bear in mind there might be work you will need to catch up on, particularly in language courses.

Alumni of Imperial College and predecessor colleges and institutes, including City & Guilds College Association members Discover the beguiling history of witchcraft, magic, and superstition through the centuries in this stunningly illustrated title.Asimismo, nos aporta información extra con un sinfín de imágenes que apoyan el texto y amplían el conocimiento. Y si en algún momento sientes que quieres profundizar más en algún tema del que se habla en el libro, no te preocupes, el propio libro te aporta una gran cantidad de bibliografía a la que puedes acudir para aprender y profundizar más. I have yet to have a DK book disappoint. Susanna Lipscomb, is a professor of history at the University of Roehampton, a fellow of the royal historical society, and a fellow of the higher education academy. She helped bring this book together. Its a large book with a good amount of info but don't be afraid to do further research. Selove said the MA in magic and occult science would reexamine “the assumption that the west is the place of rationalism and science, while the rest of the world is a place of magic and superstition”, including how it underpins western culture, and how its relationship with the natural world can bring new perspectives to climate breakdown. The perfect introduction to magic and the occult, it explores forms of divination from astrology and palmistry to the Tarot and runestones and offers key insights into the ways in which magic has interacted with religion.

Students will have the option to take modules on dragons in western literature and art, the legend of King Arthur, palaeography, Islamic thought, archaeological theory and practice, the depiction of women in the middle ages, the book in medieval and early modern Europe, gender, society and culture in early modern Europe and the philosophy of psychedelics. Unusual postgraduate courses A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult charts the extraordinary narrative of one of the most interesting and often controversial subjects in the world – from ancient animal worship and shamanism, through alchemy and divination to modern Wicca and the resurgence of the occult in 21st-century literature, cinema, and television. Contains joining instructions for your course,either online or in the classroom, depending on thecourse I have studied the occult and metaphysics for over 30 years, and I don't think I've ever seen such a comprehensive look at the history of magic and the occult. While, of course, this is not a deep dive into any particular topic, the breadth of this work is quite stunning. It is divided into 5 time periods, from prehistory to the modern age. It looks at the beliefs and practices of different cultures and religions (including early paganism, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.) over time, occasionally spotlighting a particular person or group of people or some other big moment in the history of magic, witchcraft, and the occult, like the Salem witch trials and or pervasive occultism that hides in plain view, like the spirit of Christmas. While the book is mostly Eurocentric after the prehistory section, it does look at the various practices from the Middle and Far East, the Americas, and Africa to a lesser extent. Some topics cannot be simply proscribed to a religion or particular country, and these are explored as well, like the idea of “cunning folk.”Nos habla desde la mismísima prehistoria, pasando por costumbres, creencias y prácticas de diferentes culturas y en diferentes países, por la oscura época de quema de brujas y el renacer del ocultismo, hasta la actualidad. Using the methods of historical study, folklore, anthropology and psychology, we will discover why magic has haunted the human imagination so persistently, and how it continues to resonate even today. A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult charts the extraordinary narrative of one of the most interesting and often controversial subjects in the world, covering everything from ancient animal worship and shamanism, through alchemy and divination to modern Wicca and the resurgence of the occult in 21st-century literature, cinema, and television.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment