276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Vengeful

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Victoria Elizabeth (V. E.) Schwab (born July 7, 1987) is an American writer. She is known for the 2013 novel Vicious, the Shades of Magic series, and The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, which was nominated for the 2020 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel . [1] She publishes children's and young adult fiction books published under the name Victoria Schwab. She is the creator [2] of the supernatural teen drama series First Kill, based on her short story of the same name originally published in the 2020 anthology Vampires Never Get Old: Tales With Fresh Bite. Early life and education [ edit ] Sydney Clarke once had Serena—beloved sister, betrayed enemy, powerful ally. But now she’s alone, except for her thrice-dead dog, Dol. And then there’s Victor, who thinks Sydney doesn’t know about his most recent act of vengeance. The most interesting thing about Vicious were its characters with their extraordinary abilities and the fact that there is no "good" main character. Both, protagonist and antagonist do ruthless things and leave a trail of violence and death, one more than the other. But I ended up rooting for some of the side characters and - of course - the dog. A week or so ago I asked my feed for reading suggestions featuring strong villainous characters, and this book received nearly unanimous acclaim from the majority of my friends who saw the post and responded. Now, normally I kind of hesitate going into anything with high expectations, but I immediately ran out and bought it and now I just have to take a moment to tip my hat to to all my friends who suggested that I read it.

Victor is the technical villain, but he's far easier to root for and empathize with. Eli is a believable, well-developed character, but his cruel fanaticism isn't a well-sold brand. Maybe Eli has a moral code and Victor doesn't, but Eli is lying to himself about his motives. Victor is evil, but he's absolutely aware of his place in the narrative, which made him easy to root for. After she writes Threads of Power #1, she is going to write Victorious, the last book of the Villains trilogy, which is unimportant to the grand scheme of this review and Threads of Power, but I'm a slut for the Villains series so it's important for me so it's mentioned. Serena hadn’t told Sydney to go home. She hadn’t told her to run away. She’d told her to go somewhere safe. And over the course of the last week, safe had ceased to be a place for Sydney, and had become a person. The Fragile Threads of Power features both new and old characters leading to a compelling mix of nostalgia and intrigue. I was pleasantly surprised by how prevalent the old characters were in the story. Though they remain the characters we love, you can also feel how the passage of time has changed them. They have grown and matured and their relationships felt much richer and more complex. I was particularly obsessed with any scene that involved Kell and/or Lila. I won't say anything to avoid spoilers but *incoherent screaming.* It made me so emotional to see how far these characters have come since we last saw them in A Conjuring of Light. She watched him as he worked, his touch impossibly light, as if he was afraid of breaking her. Everything about him was light – his skin, his hair, his eyes, his hands as they danced through the air above her skin, touching her only when absolutely necessary.”

Leave a reply

Victor’s teeth clenched. “I take no pleasure in this, Sydney, but if EON finds them, they’ll be one step closer to finding us. Do you want that to happen?” Throughout the next section of the book, it is revealed that Marcella and Marcus met in college and were drawn to each other because of power and looks. Marcus’s family is in the mob, and a few years into their marriage, Marcella encourages Marcus to join in on the family business. He does so, thrilling Marcella, who has always been taught to aim high. Her ambition and cruelty seem to run deeper than Marcus’s, although she hides hers. At business meetings, her husband pushes her aside and speaks about her as though she is his plaything, an object he owns. He does not let her participate in the “business”, something that continues to bother Marcella. You asked me if I ever wanted to believe in something. I do. I want to believe in this. I want to believe that there’s more.” Victor sloshed a touch of whiskey over the edge of his glass. “That we could be more. Hell, we could be heroes.” Petski, Denise (October 15, 2020). "Emma Roberts To Produce YA Vampire Series 'First Kill' At Netflix". Deadline Hollywood . Retrieved October 25, 2020.

In this instance the story failed to captivate me. The new characters are interesting but I couldn't care less about the dramas of the "old main" characters. Schwab's characters feel vital and real, never reduced to simple archetypes...In a genre that tends toward the flippant or pretentious, this is a rare superhero novel as epic and gripping as any classic comic. Schwab's tale of betrayal, self-hatred, and survival will resonate with superhero fans as well as readers who have never heard of Charles Xavier or Victor von Doom.” — Publishers Weekly (starred review) Some could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labelled a villain for trying to stop them.” i’m going to roll off,’ he said, gasping for breath. ‘i’ll catch you,’ said kell without so much as a pause. rhy’s laughter died away. ‘i know.’”If you had asked me how many stars I would give this book, based on the first 5 or so chapters, I would have said five, no questions about it. The beginning was amazing, the first chapter had hook that pulled me in right from the start. We have people digging up a corpse in the middle of a frigid night. We have a talking, walking girl who just might be dead. Victor and Eli started out as college roommates-brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in one another. A shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death-experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. They become EOs, ExtraOrdinaries, leaving a body in their wake and turning on each other. There is madness in this woman’s mind and I think I might go mad out of my own mind if I were to have a glimpse on what’s going on in V.E. Schwab Circus of Freaks – her brain edition. Nov. 3: Shades of Magic is one of my favorite series. So I'm going to break my rule (once again 🙄) of not reading series that aren't finished. The atmosphere - haunting, eerie, dark - is helped by the writing, which is vividly malicious and clever. Aided by the alternating timeline, which builds mystery, the careful crafting of Vicious is apparent.

Ohh those two gave me a lot to wonder about. I’m convinced Victor was in love with Eli and that this was the reason why he wanted his revenge so badly. I mean he was betrayed by the person he loved and to make it even worse Eli didn’t even bother to hear him out. He didn’t give him the benefit of the doubt, no, he ratted him out to the police the moment he knew his girlfriend had died. It was like Eli always expected Victor to go off the rails and only waited for an opportunity to turn on him. Funnily enough it turned out that Eli was the one that actually went off the rails in the end. After all Eli’s girlfriend was the only person Victor killed and this was by accident and not intentional. The same certainly couldn’t be said for Eli though. He killed his victims on purpose and went after them with a vengeance. Sure, once Victor got out of prison his death tally went up as well, he never killed without a purpose or reason though. Which is the main difference between those two. Victor always considered the pros and cons while Eli acted as judge and executioner and didn’t even give his victims a chance to defend themselves, let alone to speak. Now that Eli is in prison I can’t help but wonder what’s going to happen next. I guess I’ll find out once I get my hands on a copy of “Vengeful”. ;-P vicious is a novel of two former college friends turned enemies, victor and eli. both clever, cunning and eager. their shared obsession of gaining extraordinary abilities will be their friendships downfall. through experiments, they both acquire supernatural powers, but their paths separate and victor lands in prison while eli roams free. ten years later, victor has escaped and is seeking revenge on eli, who is now a renowned hero. a fine line between good and evil, a game of cat and mouse, a morally gray world. The atmosphere is heavy, you can feel it from the beginning and it just persists through the whole book. It is macabre and dark and evil and a bit psycho but that’s the whole point of it. victor vale. my man. my favorite sociopath. vandalizing his family‘s books, breaking out of jail, seeking revenge, taking care of some random girl he found at the side road, letting her keep a dog they found. name whatever, he’s done it all and i’m here for it. one of the most complex characters out there, driven by a thirst of power and revenge. he is the perfect anti-hero. despite his actions, you will learn to love and root for him. What makes a villain? If Eli is evil and Victor is opposing him, does that make Victor a hero? Does his intention excuse his actions?The word made Victor laugh. Not just because it was absurd, but because it posed a question. If Eli really was a hero, and Victor meant to stop him, did that make him a villain?"

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment