276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Renegade Game Studio RGS02044 Clank: Legacy: Acquisitions, Mixed Colours

£44.115£88.23Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We just have to start out with what I think is one of the best legacy board games and my all-time favorite board game. Yes, the hype for Gloomhaven is really and it is that good. Early in the project, Andy Clautice and I laid out the overall structure of the game experience. We worked together for a solid few months to form a strong game skeleton. Thereafter came the laborious work of complete all the connective tissue that really brings the game to life. But within the first few weeks of testing our initial ideas, we came to realize a few important design pillars for the product: One technique I used in planning out the campaign was to build out the endgame early. Within the first two months of design, we had a “fully loaded” map to test what would be the rough equivalent of the final game, using all the new mechanics that we had invented by that time. I won’t spoil anything about the specific mechanics used, but because the playtest was largely successful – it felt like a complex and satisfying conclusion to an epic story – it did serve as a nice “goal post” for us to aim at. We knew what our destination looked like and we knew that we wanted to limit the campaign to “around ten” games, so we were able to roll out both mechanics and story in a satisfying way, all leading toward that epic conclusion. My City is a polyomino (tile laying) Legacy board game. You lay tiles in a specific way and each game last about 30 min. Each game is a chapter and there is 24 chapters. In Pandemic Legacy you are trying to stop the world from collapsing to various diseases spreading all over the place. It is a cooperative board game where each player controls a token with a specific ability. Cards are drawn at random to see where disease spreads and it is a frantic experience to try and keep control of everything.

Contracts are a new type of card unique to Clank! Legacy. The example card shown here is given to the group before game 1 begins. The group will continue to receive Contract cards throughout the course of the campaign. These cards can remain outstanding across games. Often, a group is presented with more Contracts than they can (or care to) complete within a given game, so players have agency in how they prioritize them. Remember that Clank! Legacy Acquisitions Incorporated at its heart is a competitive game, so players will sometimes prioritize strategic scoring over story reveals.

More info

If you have the patience for one of the biggest board games out there, do give Gloomhaven a go. If you are a bit on the fence, you can also give Gloomhaven a go on PC (which is also a great way of trying out the game solo) Pandemic Legacy holds a special place in my heart because it was such a great legacy game experience and a very memorable legacy campaign. Some might call Jaws of the Lion“Gloomhaven lite”. While that might be true, it is in some ways a better game for it Dire Wolf has been responsible for a number of acclaimed digital board game adaptations, including the Golden Geek Award-winning adaptations of Everdell and Root, along with the popular recent releases of Munchkin, Sagrada, Wings of Glory, and others. It is quite a simple game, without a lot of story or anything going on. There are nine different phases (epochs) that you have to go through and it will take about 25 games before you are done (all at about an hour or so play time). Each one will bring in new mechanical elements. Rise of Queensdale sets itself apart from other legacy board games because it is competitive rather than cooperative – and for that alone it might be worth your time.

I am not sure if we’ll ever play another Legacy game; in fact, most games seem to have moved past Legacy as a mechanic (bringing us to whatever Oath is doing, which feels like… meta Legacy?), but Clank Legacy was, and is, something special. The great thing is that we can take it out whenever we want to play Clank itself with, seeing and revisiting our game and all the choices we made and things we did, which makes it even more enjoyable than other Legacy games which more or less ask you to throw them out when you’re done. If you have a group of 2-4 players and want something longform, Clank Legacy is a great place to look. If you’ve never tried a Legacy game before, Clank Legacy makes a great place to dip your toe into that as well, and, for us, it may even be our only Legacy game.The Book of Secrets contains the narrative of the story and is broken up into many numbered entries. Different groups will encounter the story in different ways, depending on how they interact with Waypoints and Contracts. And just to avoid any confusion: the colour of the game does not change what is inside. Just get the Season 1 version). One of the biggest questions I had going into the game, and one someone has asked me a few times, is “How much do I need to like Penny Arcade to play this?”. Thankfully, the answer is very easy: none at all. The biggest influence PA has on the product is that Acquisitions Incorporated is their product, and the card art features Penny Arcade’s Mike Krahulik’s artwork. But regardless on your opinion of PA or knowledge of their AI world, what you’ll find is an often funny and compelling game that doesn’t ask for anything in return to enjoy it. There are AI characters in some of the cards, but they otherwise do very little to or for the game, meaning that any references to them won’t make much difference either way. Denver-based Dire Wolf is the creator and publisher of award-winning digital and physical strategy games. Titles include Dune: Imperium, the hit line of Clank! board games, Eternal® Card Game, and acclaimed digital board game adaptations of Root, Munchkin, Everdell, Sagrada and others. Each decision can have various impacts on the game and story down the line and the game has different endings depending on what has happened.

Since its premiere in 2016, Clank! has become a beloved and popular board game line, with 15 releases across core games and expansions. We wanted to not only tell a fun and immersive storyline, but we wanted non-linear advancement so that players could feel like they had a good deal of agency on how their particular story played out. To this end, we devised a few primary tools: the Book of Secrets, Waypoints, and Contracts. Another neat thing is that the character from Jaws of the Lion can be used in Gloomhaven (and Gloomhaven characters can be used in Jaws of the Lion).There’s nothing about the other side, but it’s clear from the rule and the way the component looks that something is up with this component. Again, no spoilers, so I’ll stop here, but for me, this was a success because it’s a simple component that works just like the monkey idols for purposes of learning the game, inherently tantalizing because of the way the rule is written and the way the component looks, and led to pretty clean mechanical progression that felt different without being overly complex. Players will be dealing with many fantasy staples, including evil monsters, magic, and otherworldly beings. Cultists, witches, vampires, dragons, possessed peoples, and alternate religions may also be encountered. Review Each of the players controls a hero (represented by a miniature), with specific stats, equipment, and the whole work. The game really shines via the card mechanic that simultaneously acts as your abilities and your resources. This means you can blow up monsters left and right, but if you pace yourself too fast you might die before you complete the scenario. How you play your cards and coordinate with the rest of the group is the fun part of the game, so you should enjoy that sort of thing. Two years ago my partner and I had started regularly playing games with another couple regularly, which led to a somewhat constant need for new games. I was particularly taken with finding new and exciting things to bring to the table and at the time of quaint, pre-COVID 2019, Legacy games were all the rage. “Legacy” games are now out of fashion, but the allure in 2019 of games that evolved and changed based on your decisions and were not 100% replayable was something that really shook up the market. Pandemic Legacy, Risk Legacy, Legacy this, Legacy that, you name it, a game was trying it. For our group, though, none of the other games really stood out. Each turn a card is flipped with a symbol of a piece (building). Each player has to lay that piece on their board. Each game has a different objective, so the optimal way to put down your buildings change each game. At the end of each chapter victory points are tallied. At the end of chapter 24 the one with most victory points wins.

The game is played across roughly 15 games averaging about 45 min of play. Each game is set in a kings reign and each player is a Noble House trying to sway the decisions of the king. Each player wants the king to decide something that is good for their house (as they will play that house for the entirety of the legacy game) and something that will help them achieve their secret goal for that game. Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated is – as the title cunningly suggests – a Legacy game that includes a story-driven 10 game campaign.Waypoints are simply numbered spaces on the game board. When a player enters such a space, they read the corresponding entry from the Book of Secrets. Anyone who has played a story-driven game with a large book will be familiar with how the narrative elements are doled out; as players reach spots on the board or are directed via cards or other game elements, a number inside a book symbol will tell them what to read next to advance the story. Sometimes the text will trigger events such as altering the board, adding or removing cards/items, or receiving rewards or consequences. Because of this, a player’s turn can take a few minutes as the legacy elements are being added or distributed. In my experience, even two-player games can take 90-120 minutes – I could see a four-player game taking over two hours easily.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment