276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SAS: Rogue Heroes - Now a major TV drama

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, the team behind SAS Rogue Heroes has stressed that they have tried, where possible, to stick to the reality of what happened. Just looking at Paddy Mayne’s character and the arc that it follows, it’s very very current and essential to be talked about. In the summer of 1941, at the height of the war in the Western Desert, a bored and eccentric young officer, David Stirling, has a vision for a new kind of war: attacking the enemy where they least expect it - from behind their own lines.

I think he appointed Mayne as a training officer to take him out of action and claim successes of his own, which he didn’t do. I was approached by the production company Kudos to adapt historian Ben Macintyre’s book charting the creation of the SAS, a fairly routine origin for a project such as this. Despite the intense opposition of many in British High Command, Winston Churchill personally gives Stirling permission to recruit the toughest, brightest and most ruthless soldiers he can find. He was recommended for the Victoria Cross in a commendation signed by Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery - he was controversially denied the accolade.

I think within war you have real extreme versions of that and I get the impression that that’s what gets him going, focusing on the psychology of the sort of person it would take. The first operation, code-named “Squatter”, carried out while the handful of volunteers were still feeling their way, could not have gone more wrong. He said "This will be a secret history telling the story of exceptional soldiers who decided battles and won wars only to then disappear back into the shadows. And at one point, some Italian soldiers tagged along with them, believing Stirling’s men to be Germans on a drill (which is depicted in the episode). But what was amazing was the second that I started turning the pages I realised that the true story of these guys - and what Steven Knight brilliantly celebrates - is that they were entirely the opposite of what you would expect.

Making sure everyone was drinking enough water, eating enough food and it was a lovely environment to be in. Historical accuracy [ edit ] Members of the ' French Squadron SAS' ( 1ere Compagnie de Chasseurs Parachutistes) in Tunisia.

It was so hard to film out there in the Sahara in those conditions, but it brought a real truth to it that you couldn’t have cheated in any other circumstance.

The Italian campaign was a particularly grisly one, and the SRS (with its core of SAS men) found collaboration with the partisans and rivalry with the Special Operations Executive (SOE) a challenge (unlike the SAS, the SOE always linked up with local resistance). Even if Eve is a fictional character in comparison to David Stirling or Paddy Mayne, she is very much a character that existed at the time. Melot carried on his SAS career regardless, and died not from his many scrapes in battle, but from a Jeep accident on his way to a party in Brussels late in 1944. a b "First full-length trailer and new pictures released for SAS Rogue Heroes, coming soon to BBC One and iPlayer". Steven’s scripts are just brilliant, we have an amazing cast and we can’t wait to go on another action-packed ride with our Rogue Heroes again.The clearest antecedent for SAS Rogue Heroes is Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds, not just in terms of style but also content. Jack O'Connell plays Paddy Mayne in SAS: Rogue Heroes , but Tom Hardy was originally reported to be taking the role, which was incorrect.

Ben Macintyre is the multimillion-copy bestselling author of books including Colditz, Agent Sonya, SAS: Rogue Heroes, The Spy and the Traitor, Agent Zigzag, Operation Mincemeat and A Spy Among Friends. Two just totally different ideals there, but they match up to create this fearsome soldier you know. Stirling was also aware that his outfit did not meet with approval in conventional military circles, which saw war as face-to-face, not behind the back. The bootcamp was intense - we would start at about 7am when it was already about 30 degrees in Morocco, so you could easily burn and get sun stroke even at that time of day.Stirling was very brave, but he was not cut out for being a guerrilla fighter, so he willed himself into each operation. I’d say the one day that really sticks in the memory for me was in episode three when me and Mike Sadler, played by Tom Glynn-Carney, meet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment