276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nikon Aculon T11 8-24x25 Zoom Binoculars 8 to 24x 25 mm Front Lens Diameter

£94.995£189.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The formal long multiplication method is a step by step method of supporting children to understand conceptually and practically how to multiply one three or four digit number by another two digit number or greater. The long multiplication method step by step Hopefully the gradual progressive structure of the lesson – or it may be two or three, depending on your class – shows how the long multiplication method can be taught with confidence and learnt by most Year 5s and Year 6s.

You may also like: 35 times tables games suitable for home and school – choose one or two each week for home learning if your pupils still need to build consistency. Read more: Commutative property of multiplication How to make long multiplication easier My outcome for the first lesson or two will be to give my pupils confidence in learning the method. Only then will we move on to the rest. How to teach the long multiplication method Essential precursor multiplication knowledgeNot sure if your pupils are ready to jump into long multiplication? Grid method multiplication is a great ‘stepping stone’ to the column method. Long multiplication in the national curriculum In the Year 5 objectives for multiplication and division, it states that ‘pupils should be taught to multiply numbers up to 4 digits by a one- or two-digit number using a formal written method, including long multiplication for two-digit numbers.’ In this step, pupils will be called on to give answers and the whole class can mark as they hear the answer. If some of them disagree with an answer we can discuss it as a class until the correct answer is found. Step 8 – Diagnostic questions I would then hope to see all thumbs down. If a child has put their thumbs up, I would engage in a whole-class dialogue to see why this is the case and refer to the example that is on the board. Step 3 – Setting out the long multiplication method

I would then ask: ‘Thumbs up for yes, thumbs down for no. Has the way I have set out the calculation in the column method changed when the multiplier has two digits?” As this happens, I would be circulating the room to gauge how pupils are doing – not only on the questions from this lesson but previous content too. Pupils are free to skip over questions that they are not sure of. Step 7 – Shared marking When revising for SATs, you may want to interleave long multiplicationproblems with long division problems to further reinforce the relationship between the two.Two lessons from cognitive science have massively changed the way I approach teaching the long multiplication method. 1. Long and short term memory To ensure everyone is participating, I would ask them to show me, using fingers or mini-whiteboards, the answer to the multiplication questions – not because I think they don’t know it but to keep their working memory firmly on the maths at hand. Happy that pupils are able to copy the process and understand it, I would now provide a long multiplication worksheet for them to complete. Long multiplication is a written multiplication method used when multiplying two or three digit numbers by another number of two or more digits. It is often referred to as column multiplication.

From the model, we can see that the person uses their attention to take things from the environment into the working memory. The person then attempts to encode this information into their long-term memory, but some information may be forgotten for a myriad of reasons. As you go through each example, get the pupils to do more of the explaining, particularly when it comes to the dropping of the zero and reminding one another to add the two products together. If you find children struggling, stop and rehearse this to ensure the correct language is being embedded. Now we are onto the new piece of information we want pupils to learn, so I would slow down and explain what is happening here, using this moment again to reinforce place value.To do that, I ensure that our first multiplier is 11. By making the second factors 11, all that is required here is to multiply by one. I have yet to come across a child, even those who may struggle with their multiplication, who doesn’t know the 1 times table. See also: Lowest common multiple, Highest common factor& What is a multiple Diagnostic questions and diagnostic assessment in general is an incredibly effective way to gauge pupils’ understanding of a concept. They work by posing a question and giving 4 possible answers. To differentiate the work sheet would only lead to an increase in the attainment gap. The differentiation will come from additional instruction that I may give during this time. The appendix at the end of the year group objectives gives us an insight into what this looks like:

Fluency is the process of retrieving information from out of long-term memory with no effort on our working memory, freeing up valuable space in our working memory to give attention to other things.’ Read more: Fluency, Reasoning and Problem Solving What is the long multiplication method?Despite the glossy plastic exterior to the Nikon Sportstar Zoom 8-24x25 binocular, there’s enough weight and heft that we found it easy enough to hold them steady when observing. Inevitiably though, the further we went up the magnification range amplified any exterior hand wobble, with resultant image judder. In Year 5 and Year 6 at primary school, long multiplication means multiplying a number that is at least three digits by one that is two digits or more. This makes sense as if they are fluent in these areas, they are effectively reducing what their working memory needs to attend to. Assuming fluency in these two things, what they need to learn is reduced from 16 to 4-6 things.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment