276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Kingdoms: Natasha Pulley

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I said the premise of the book was good. Too bad after the first third the book abandons the premise and turns into what is ostensibly a roadtrip book. They spend their time pottering from place to place on a boat, taking part in shenanigans of all sorts in the past. The book does little to explore any of the sci-fi stuff that might come out of a premise like this. It also doesn't flesh out the worldbuilding needed to make it a satisfactory alternate history.

He remembers being married to a woman named Madeline but after laying claim to him at the hospital, Joe’s French master takes him home where he lives as a slave with his wife named Alice. Ich hatte eigentlich eine Liebesgeschichte erwartet, die war auch vorhanden, unterschwellig, zwischen den Zeilen und ja, sie spielt auch eine Rolle, aber hier geht es um viel mehr, dass ich gar nicht weiß, wie ich das alles in Worte fassen kann.Joe Tournier has a bad case of amnesia. His first memory is of stepping off a train in the nineteenth-century French colony of England. The only clue Joe has about his identity is a century-old postcard of a Scottish lighthouse that arrives in London the same month he does. Written in illegal English—instead of French—the postcard is signed only with the letter “M,” but Joe is certain whoever wrote it knows him far better than he currently knows himself, and he’s determined to find the writer. The search for M, though, will drive Joe from French-ruled London to rebel-owned Scotland and finally onto the battle ships of a lost empire’s Royal Navy. In the process, Joe will remake history, and himself. Natasha Pulley (born 4 December 1988) is a British author. She is best known for her debut novel, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, which won a Betty Trask Award. PART II of the book: This was good? At this point the protagonist, Joe, had finally been spurred into action, the mechanics of the world were being introduced, the mystery was tantalising and hadn't yet grown stale. I nearly gave it an extra star because of that section, but decided against it because of the awful time I had with nearly everything else.

After Joe arrives at Eilean Mor the truth about what is happening is gradually revealed to the reader and Joe, although some of the people we encounter seem to know more than they are willing to say. Once you see these problems, you start to wonder what else is wrong. The telegraph, for example, which plays a significant part in the plot. I don't know much about it - is what she says about it true or possible? It’s a time travel book and it’s a mystery, and it’s literally about changing history. There are giant ships fighting, there are guns, there is so much violence & blood in that book. It could probably not be more eventful. And yet at its very core, The Kingdoms is about love. I’ve always had difficulties reading books about time travel, but ”The Kingdoms” solves all the doubts that raises during the story.Agatha, you have to do something about Kite

The Kingdoms’ by Natasha Pulley proved a unique and fascinating novel; complete with wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey bits and inventive alternative histories. I complemented my reading with its unabridged audiobook edition for an immersive experience.

People generally agree that it’s harder to review books you’ve enjoyed; that it’s harder to find the words to describe all the ways in which you loved a book, than it is to explain why you hated it. This statement, for me, has never been more true than right now. I can only describe this book as painfully, tragically beautiful. Is it possible to give it 6 stars out of 5? Or 10? I’m just gonna go with yes and do that. So 6 + 10 = 16 stars out of 5. Fight me. Confusing emotions aside, one thing I can say definitively about The Kingdoms is that the story drew me in. It’s not a fast-paced book, but it’s probably the fastest I’ve read a novel in the last year. Pulley is undoubtedly a skilled and engaging writer, and if you’re ready for a complicated tale with sharp edges that will hurt long after you’re done reading, The Kingdoms is worth your time. The premise of this book is intriguing: what if the French had won the Battle of Trafalgar and occupied France for most of the 19th Century? Pulley paints a vivid picture of Britain under French rule and the battle scenes are truly outstanding, especially the brutal French conquest of London as the King and his cowardly entourage flee for Edinburgh. The scenes of the hardships of life on board a 19th century battleship are equally riveting. Pulley has clearly done her research. I found ‘The Kingdoms’ stunning with memorable, well realised characters, plenty of action including thrilling sea battles, moving relationships, and excellent historical details, albeit alternative ones. There is also a great deal of wit and humour throughout.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment