276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Love Frankie

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The writing and storyline was unmistakably Jacqueline Wilson as she has a very distinctive style. The main character lives with her single mother and siblings. Her mother has MS which makes looking after the children difficult. This difficulty in raising children (due to a multitude of reasons) and single motherhood are each commonly recurring theme in many of JW’s books. Double Act won the prestigious Smarties Medal and the Children’s Book Award as well as being highly commended for the Carnegie Medal. The Story of Tracy Beaker won the 2002 Blue Peter People’s Choice Award. Powys Maurice, Emma (4 April 2020). "Best-selling children's author Jacqueline Wilson publicly comes out as gay". PinkNews. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020 . Retrieved 20 April 2020. Frankie doesn't want Sally to just be her friend. She wants her to be her girlfriend. But does Sally feel the same?

Love Frankie by Jacqueline Wilson, Nick Sharratt | Waterstones Love Frankie by Jacqueline Wilson, Nick Sharratt | Waterstones

I have been a Jacqueline Wilson fan since I was nine years old and loved reading her novels. I would probably say that Wilson is the one author that gave me the love for reading. I loved Frankie's friendship with Sammy, her younger sister, her dog called Bear.🐻 I thought the plot dealing with her mother's MS was really well done too. Saunderson, Ginny (7 April 2020). "Jacqueline Wilson: Alfriston author releasing new book next week". Sussex Express . Retrieved 20 April 2020. There were several instances of fat-shaming and talk of diet culture which is always disappointing but especially so in children's/YA lit. A character would have a chocolate bar and then immediately mention the diet they *had* to go on to rectify that choice. This adds to the already shitty culture we have around diets as a society and is completely unnecessary.I may be 27, but I don’t think I’ll ever stop reading Jacqueline Wilson’s books. To me, they are so much more than “children’s literature”. She doesn’t shy away from very real and very difficult topics, yet maintains humour and lightness at the same time. I think the biggest gripe I have is that Frankie doesn’t really seem to have any journey when it comes to figuring herself out. Throughout the first third or so of the book she describes herself in ways that I can only describe as stereotypical for a young lesbian (i.e. not interested in clothes or makeup, mostly friends with boys, etc). She talks about this with seemingly no introspection, then jumps right into ‘oh I’m in love with a girl’. It didn’t feel authentic to me. Frankie and Sally as a couple are cute, although the two do not seem a convincing nor withstanding match and the book closes without resolve of their significant issues. I personally was hopeful that Frankie might realise she was actually in love with Ivneet, Ellie-and-Dan style (sequel idea???). But alas, love, particularly young love, is often shallow. The relationship between Sammy and Frankie is handled with great care. The supporting characters all have their moments too. Frankie's mother, siblings, and Bear are all loveable and are painted so vividly that you feel as if you're in their home with them. Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain's bestselling and most beloved children's authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold. I immediately was hooked; Frankie is such a likeable character and I found that I couldn’t wait to keep reading. I found that the story was a fantastic way to explore all the complex emotions that come with being a teenager, and even as an adult I could really relate to the different characters in the book. There were so many different themes that were touched upon sensitively, there were bright moments and there were tough moments. The main theme of sexuality was handled very well and I particularly liked how the characters were so different in their approach to it – it made it feel very real and showed how people’s reactions can be so different, whether they are the person with those feelings or whether they’re on the outside.

Love Frankie - Jacqueline Wilson - Google Books Love Frankie - Jacqueline Wilson - Google Books

The realism and impact of relationship and family issues is dealt with very well in this book. I enjoyed Frankie as a narrator as she took us through her early teenage thoughts in what truly felt like an honest coming of age story. Being a prior super-fan of Jacqueline, the reading experience was incredibly nostalgic. The characters are described with care and detail. The ordinary is made beautiful. The excitement and hardship of being a teenager are described through a sensitive and passionate young Frankie. Frankie was a highly relatable character for me although some of the stereotypical (ie hating girly things/ good at sport/ should I cut my hair short?) descriptions were uninspiring; however I think these things do connect to a shared experience of girls who are coming out and unearthing their identity, thus the phrase "baby dyke". Funnily also, the father of the girl which the main character falls in love with is a Forensic Anthropologist which is what I studied for my masters degree. Weirdly, it made me feel slightly as though the book was written for me. the main character frankie was quite annoying alot of the time and the amount of times she say ‘im nearly 14’ is so annoying bruh Love Frankie is a weird book for me to review, because it's essentially Jacqueline Wilson writing a novel that foregrounds a relationship between two teenage girls, and I think it would have meant a great deal to me when I was the age of its protagonists. While LGBT+ narratives have proliferated in young adult fiction (a welcome change from when I was a teenager and the only LGBT+ character I encountered was Andy in Sweet Valley Senior Year!), I still think it's important that someone of Wilson's stature is writing this kind of narrative. And she handles it well, sustaining her light touch while dealing with serious issues such as homophobic taunts and the persistent narrative that same-sex attraction in adolescence is 'just a phase'. While I found the attitude of the central character to her sexuality a little unrealistically optimistic, Wilson has a tendency to write naive, unworldly protagonists, and so this is in keeping with her usual style, even if, for me, it plays troublingly into the myth that LGBT+ teenagers no longer face any major issues (for evidence on the persistence of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia today, see https://www.britishlgbtawards.com/lgb...) And Wilson's instinctive understanding of the emotional intensity of teenage female friendships, and how, here, that bleeds confusingly into romantic attraction, is spot on.Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain’s bestselling and most beloved children’s authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold. As well as winning many awards for her books, including the Children’s Book of the Year, Jacqueline is a former Children’s Laureate, and in 2008 she was appointed a Dame. Jacqueline is also a great reader, and has amassed over 20,000 books, along with her famous collection of silver rings. Jacqueline is one of the nation’s favourite authors, and her books are loved and cherished by young readers not only in the UK but all over the world. She has sold millions of books and in the UK alone the total now stands at over 35 million! If I read this book when I was a young teen, I think I’d be rooting for Sally and Frankie as a couple. As an adult (much like Frankie’s mum/older sister) I felt very wary of Sally and thought she was two-dimensional and narcissistic. The supporting characters, however, were fantastic - I loved Sammy and Coral and Ivneet and thought they were so endearing and well-developed.

Love Frankie - Penguin Books UK Love Frankie - Penguin Books UK

When Sally turns out to be not-so-mean after all, they strike up a friendship and are suddenly spending all of their time together. I have only been waiting for Jacqueline Wilson to openly write a lesbian protagonist for what, about 20 years? And despite the rating I wasn't disappointed. I looked forward to reading this book at any opportunity. The characters' responses to Frankie coming out as gay were nuanced and seemed mostly realistic. The romance here and the love interest weren't straightforward, and I did appreciate this too. The depiction of turmoil and confusion felt accurate for a coming-of-age story. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments The must-have new novel about falling in love for the first time from bestselling, much-loved children's author, Jacqueline Wilson. About This Edition ISBN:Jacqueline Wilson writes about young teenage girls with real understanding, sensitivity and affection, and she’s at her best in the story of Frankie, who finds herself head over heels in love with, of all people, the girl she thought was her worst enemy. As with most thirteen-going-on-fourteen year olds, Frankie is a mess of emotions, resenting her dad for leaving her mum, but needing him too; happy with her childhood friend Sam, but alarmed when he seems to want to change their relationship into something else; and above all confused by her new feelings for Sally. Sally is even more mixed up and her desperate need for love and attention puts Frankie at risk of real hurt. Wilson creates a loving family the support her heroine though and, like so many of her characters, Frankie develops the strength to be honest about who she is and therefore emerges unscathed. Her story is everything you expect from this writer – real, moving and enormously satisfying.

Love Frankie - Wikipedia Love Frankie - Wikipedia

I have mixed feelings about this (my second ever Jacqueline Wilson, the other being Lily Alone, which I loved. In the first half, there was a lot I could relate to, and in some ways Wilson nails what it felt like being thirteen/fourteen (I think I might have loved the book if I'd read it at that age, given the subject matter), but it does feel very much written in her usual middle grade style and that feels jarring during the second half of the book when more 'teen' stuff starts happening. I didn't enjoy the second half so much. Jacqueline Wilson puts 'heart and soul' into first gay heroine". CBBC Newsround. 6 April 2020. Archived from the original on 9 November 2020 . Retrieved 20 April 2020. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.It should say a lot that in a story about queer teens, I hoped the story would end with Frankie realising she was better off without Sally.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment