276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Love from the Pink Palace: Memories of Love, Loss and Cabaret through the AIDS Crisis, for fans of IT'S A SIN

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But soon rumours were spreading from America about a frightening illness being dubbed the ‘gay flu’, and Jill and her friends now found their formerly carefree existence under threat. It’s knowing what becomes of them, which makes these snatched moments so refulgent. Jill’s stories apotheosize her friends, expose the stigma and shame experienced by people with HIV before the virus had a name. I had to take a long walk along the seafront after finishing the book, it’s quite the ripping yarn, ripping at the heart, emotionally raw. As we saw in It’s A Sin and can truly appreciate through her memoir, Jill has the ability to inspire through action. But soon rumours were spreading from America about a frightening illness being dubbed the 'gay flu', and Jill and her friends - spirited Juan Pablo, Jae with his beautiful voice, upbeat Dursley, and many others - now found their formerly carefree existence under threat.

Pink Palace, Scratby - Cylex Pink Palace, Scratby - Cylex

Takes approximately 1-3 working days to arrive, (but can take longer during busy periods like bank holidays or Pride Month) Jill met the crisis head on . . . She held the hands of so many men. She lost them, and remembered them, and somehow kept going’ RUSSELL T DAVIES As Welsh philosopher Raymond Williams said: ‘To be truly radical is to make hope possible rather than despair convincing.’ Jill is radical. Truly, beautifully radical. Jill is a busy person, quite how they managed to do so much is a miracle. She is also modest, and although allowing the wonderful excitement of her life to shine here, often through the lens of others’ lives, she also shares the gratitude of being able to experience such talented people.This is solid, and I don't have any particularly strong objections to it, but I just... don't really care? I think I'd just rather read an AIDS memoir from the perspective of a queer writer rather than a straight ally, no matter how closely involved with the community. This sat on my tbr pile for far too long. Partly because I just wasn’t ready to go there emotionally again. Sure enough I was sobbing from the foreword. It’s Jill, real Jill with all her courage, strength, dignity, honesty, tenacity and love taking us from the pink palace and way beyond in her words with her boys. If you loved it’s a sin, this is perfect to follow up with.

Former South Melbourne brothel turned apartment tower to go Former South Melbourne brothel turned apartment tower to go

The hostels beach area was beautiful though and we spent many hours on the loungers and in the water. Breakfast and dinner, which is included in the price, was delicious. Breakfast was yogurt, bread, ham, cheese and eggs every morning. Dinner varied but was very good every night (big portions). The staff seats you with people you don't know, which is really nice and a good way to get to meet new people.When Jill Nalder arrived at drama school in London in the early 1980s, she was ready for her life to begin. With her band of best friends – of which many were young, talented gay men with big dreams of their own – she grabbed London by the horns: partying with drag queens at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, hosting cabarets at her glamorous flat, flitting across town to any jobs she could get.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment