276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Three Sisters

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Magda, aged seventeen, stays with her mother and grandfather, hiding out in a neighbour’s attic or in the forest when the Nazi militia comes to round up friends, neighbours, and family. She escapes for a time, but eventually she too is captured and transported to the death camp. Please tell me she’s going to be all right, I’m so worried about her,” Chaya frets, as the doctor examines her seventeen-year-old daughter. Based on true events, sisters Cibi, Magda and Livi share a promise to their father that they will always look out for one another. This promise carries them through several harrowing years living as Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps. This is a work of fiction, as it states clearly, but many of the characters included in this story were real people whose stories are shared through the creativity of Heather Morris.

La novela nos contará su estancia en el campo concentración, lo que tenían que hacer para sobrevivir, y como es la vida después, esas marchas de la muerte que sufrieron los que lograron superar los campos de concentración, el regreso a Eslovaquia, y un último viaje… A solid 4 stars for a book of courage in the face of incredible cruelty. This book is the story of 3 sisters, Cibi, Magda and Livi. They are living in Vranov, Slovakia, when the Germans invade. Prior to the invasion, their father calls them together in 1929 and makes them promise to always be there for one another. They are Jewish. Cibi and Livi are rounded up with other Jews and sent to Auschwitz in 1942. Magda has been hidden in the hospital by a friendly doctor. However, she too is found and sent to Auschwitz in 1944.Heather Morris was chosen by the sisters to tell their story. Two of them live in Israel today. I’ve been inspired by all three stories in this trilogy, and this one is exceptionally inspiring. The writing has a straightforward tone, and the author’s note brought it all together for me. I enjoyed learning more about the sisters’ other family members as well. Most of us have heard about stories of the holocaust and the horrific cruelty dealt to the people imprisoned at camps like Auschwitz - Birkenau, this story takes place before, during and after the holocaust. Three Sisters is a remarkable novel based on the true story of three Slovakian Jewish sisters, who endured the worst of humanity to forge new and hopeful lives on the other side. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Finty Williams and she did a fantastic job and kept me captivated the entire time.

Morris ( The Tattooist of Auschwitz) follows the real-life Meller sisters, who all survived imprisonment at Auschwitz-Birkenau and a winter death march during WWII, in her extraordinary latest. Morris skillfully chronicles the lives of the sisters from childhood to old age, balancing fictional invention with extensive research and immersion into the Mellers’ lives. Readers will be greatly inspired by this story of resilience. --Publisher's Weekly (Starred review) Magda, only 17, stays with her mother and grandfather, hiding out in a neighbour’s attic or in the forest when the Nazi militia come to round up friends, neighbours and family. She escapes for a time, but eventually she too is captured and transported to the death camp. What can we do?” Yitzchak asks. “We have already lost everything—our right to work, to feed our families … What more can they take from us?” When I’ve read books about the Holocaust, I find myself reading in disbelief because it is still so hard to believe that these atrocities happened and did so in the recent past, yet there is no doubt they did. This story is filled with courage and hope as these girls struggle and succeed at staying alive. It’s truly an amazing and inspiring story. Morris, through one of the characters, raises the question on many readers’ minds — How could God let this happen? I have no answers but appreciate that one of the sisters has such reservations and doubts about religion and spirituality. I am sure that many who suffered in concentration camps also lost such faith. I’m not saying anyone will, I just want you to promise me that if anyone tries to separate you, you will remember what we spoke of here today and do everything in your power not to let that happen. The three of you are stronger together, you must never forget that.” Menachem’s voice stumbles, and he clears his throat.It’s very simple, Magda.” Menachem smiles. There is nothing that gives him as much pleasure as talking to his girls. Something catches in his chest; he must remember this moment, this sunny day, the wide eyes of his three daughters. “I want you to make a promise to me and to each other that you will always take care of your sisters. That you will always be there for one another, no matter what. That you will not allow anything to take you away from each other. Do you understand?” Una historia REAL que narra la vida de tres hermanas que viven en Eslovaquia. La historia comienza cuando su padre, aun siendo unas niñas, les hace prometer que pase lo que pase van a permanecer juntas. It’s so difficult to imagine that in this world we live in less than one hundred years ago genocide, a horrible abomination to kill Jews was orchestrated, it’s beyond belief! What is it, man?” Yitzchak demands. The responsibility he bears for his daughter and grandchildren has aged him beyond his years, and he has no time for intrigue.

As with most historical fiction set in this time period, it is difficult to read about the horrible treatment that Jews faced and the incredible resiliency of the survivors. This story has a hopeful ending though as eventually the sisters make it to Israel after the war and start a new life there. It takes more than a new setting though to get through the survivor’s guilt that many have and each cope with it differently. Some chose to never speak of the past and others shared their stories with family and friends.Chaya merely nods, now desperate for him to tell her what he needs to say. The years since the war broke out have changed her: her once smooth brow is lined, and she is so thin her dresses hang off her like wet laundry. There is a sense that Magda felt guilt at not having been in the camp for as long as her sisters. Is this justified? In Slovakia, years before World War II, the three young Meller sisters made a promise to their ill father that they would always stay together. Their promise would be tested in 1942 when the Nazis started to round up all the Jewish teenagers. Middle sister Magda, age 17, was sent to the local hospital for protection while Cibi, the oldest at 19 and young Livi, age 15, were rounded up and told they were being sent to do work for the Germans. They were transported and sent to a compound of barbed wired buildings with an entry sign reading Arbeit Macht Frei. They were sent to Auschwitz. You know her, she’s off with the Hachshara.” Chaya doesn’t know what she thinks of the Hachshara, a training program to teach young people, just like Cibi, the skills necessary to make a new life in Palestine, far away from Slovakia and the war raging in Europe. Three Sisters”, ….Historical Holocaust- ‘based-on-a- true-story’, novel was written from love, warmth, and compassion….which any reader can see.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment