276°
Posted 20 hours ago

While the Storm Rages: The eagerly awaited new novel from the bestselling author of When the Sky Falls

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's the Second World War and while everyone else is evacuated to the countryside, 12-year-old Joseph ends up in the city with a woman who owns a zoo.A beautifully written historical adventure story, which will take readers on an emotional and exciting journey. I've read a previous book by Phil Earle, so I knew what to expect going into this one. I still needed tissues several times during this. It's hard to make a story this tear jerking that's also full of hope and joy, but Phil manages it.

While the Storm Rages by Phil Earle - LoveReading4Kids While the Storm Rages by Phil Earle - LoveReading4Kids

Author Luke Palmer introduces his new book, Play (Firefly Press) about four boys growing up together, the challenges, the friendships, and what hap... As Noah Price’s dad marches off to fight, heasks his son to honour one vital promise: thathe will keep their dog, Winn, safe. No matterwhat. Noah agrees, but his best intentions arecrushed when the government advises peopleto have their pets put to sleep as part of thewar preparations. Children are heartbroken,queues outside vets’ surgeries stretch for miles. It was a mixture of watching films like Empire of the Sun, Hope and Glory, plus footage I found on YouTube. Also, to be honest, I tried to use my imagination, to really try and empathise what it would smell and sound like to be living through the blitz. Noah has made a deal. Winn must be kept safe. There is no way he is going to break it, rules or no rules. Again, I went to footage and film. There is a magnificent movie called Gorillas in the Mist, based on a true story, about a woman called Diane Fossey, who campaigned to save gorillas for practically the whole of her adult life. In terms of Adonis, I just wanted him to feel as real as any of the humans. For the reader to see and feel his pain, his bravery in the same way.

I just had to read While the Storm Rages after reading the author's previous wartime children's novel, the superb When the Sky Falls.

While The Storm Rages | Phil Earle - Author

Last year I read "When the Sky falls" which I can highly recommend. This book is also written by Phil Earle and is based on a true World War Two story. This is a beautiful historical tale for middle grade readers. The daring and heroism of the three children is felt by the reader even if they don’t feel that way about themselves. A story in which courage and love between human and animal are central in a heartbreaking era of our history. And I will admit - when he reached the end of his journey, when Noah saw that all his efforts were in vain and that he had failed, I teared up so bad!! You're a part of his struggle - you wanted him to achieve, and when he ached, you couldn't help but ache with him. And I did - I really did. And then, when he returned home, when he expressed the deep burden of how much he really needed to keep Winn safe, it just broke me. 😢😢I have to be honest and say I'm not a big one for research. I'm impatient to get writing, and I'm a pretty reluctant reader, or at least a very choosy one. If I'm researching I tend to go to documentaries or films. I did do a lot of googling of London in the Blitz, which was really useful. I really like working from visual things like photos. Another stunning read from one of the most authentic storytellers writing for children today’ Lesley Parr

While the Storm Rages by Phil Earle | Waterstones

LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.As his dad marches off to fight, Noah makes him a promise, to keep their beloved family dog safe. When the government advises people to have their pets put down in readiness for the chaos of war, hundreds of thousands of people do as they are told. But not Noah. So often, stories of war focus on the impact on people and nations. Like When the Sky Falls, While the Storm Rages explores what happened to the animals when war reached British shores. They weren’t welcome in air raid shelters, the bombs would terrify them and there would be hardly enough food for people, let alone cats and dogs. What the government didn’t consider in their advice was the passion of children for their pets. One of the most important things in the world to a child is their canine or feline companion. To these little people (and many adults as well), these creatures are so much more than animals – they are members of the family, loved fiercely and protected above all else. This story is a horror of war children will understand. The next decree from the government is that all pets must be destroyed. What! Noah pleads and begs his mum to look after Winn, but she agrees with the authorities that it will be better for animals not to be frightened by bombs, food shortages and all that war brings. When the British government advises its citizens to put their pets to sleep, as war preparations, Noah does realise that this have huge consequences for keeping his promise. Firstly, I'd like to start off by saying an enormous 'thank you' to both the author, Phil Earle, and the wonderful publishing team at Andersen Press for gifting me with an advanced reading copy, in exchange for an honest review.

While the Storm Rages | BookTrust While the Storm Rages | BookTrust

eARC received from Andersen Press via NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review. This title releases on the 2nd June 2022. Is there one part of When the Sky Falls, or a phrase or sentence from it, that stood out for you as you wrote it? When the Sky Falls, set during 1941, gives a very real feel for life at the time and what it must have been like to endure air raids - how did you find so much detail about this? As Noah Price's dad marches off to fight, he asks his son to honour one vital promise: that he will keep their dog, Winn, safe. No matter what. Noah agrees, but his best intentions are crushed when the government advises people to have their pets put to sleep as part of the war preparations. (see below). Children are heartbroken, and queues outside vets' surgeries stretch for miles. But Noah is a resourceful, impetuous child. He won't just do what he is told, far from it. With his two friends in tow, Noah makes a pledge. To go on the run and save as many animals as he can: Whatever the cost.They decide to sail the animals to a safe shelter with the help of Noah's father's boat. The two young children are accompanied by animals with their own character traits. This won't make their journey easy.. The plot is touching. A seemingly sweet act that any animal lover would do, has an underlying meaning, for as long as Winn (his faithful dog) is safe, then so will his dad be. Noah refuses to put his dog to sleep and so with the help of his best friend and a once enemy of his the three children set out with the pets of their classmates and an abandoned donkey on his dads boat to see that the animals are safe and well looked after. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Earle's previous book, WHEN THE SKY FALLS, I knew I had to read this one when I saw it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment