276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Four Foundations of Golf: How to Build a Game That Lasts a Lifetime

£11.135£22.27Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I’ve had to go through this same process with my driver and putting. In my quest to become a better tournament player, it became apparent by watching other golfers and benchmarking my performance that these were also problems that needed to be solved. The predicament was that I kept telling myself, “I’m a great iron player, but I just struggle off the tee and on the greens.” Lower your scores, increase enjoyment. Are you struggling to take your golf game to the next level? Learn the philosophy that has helped thousands of players worldwide lower their scores and improve their relationship with golf. Swing tips come and go, but foundational golf skills last forever. Golf is a very peculiar but addicting game compared to other leisurely pursuits. Let’s face it; our tribe is a little crazy to chase a small white ball around a large field. It’s hard to explain precisely why golf can be so addicting. A lot of it has to do with how challenging the game is and how good it feels to have those moments where we think we figured it out. But with those incredible highs comes a lot of lows. And I believe those lows are why many players quit the game or find themselves in perpetual limbo. However, golf might not be as serious as an endeavor for you. Or you might not even have many opportunities to play. I’ll let you make the ultimate decision, but grit might not be relevant or necessary for some. That’s the beauty of golf – there is no right or wrong in your approach. Exploring Grit

The Four Foundations of Golf by Jon Sherman | Waterstones

Finally, you will no longer have to feel like you are lost and alone in your golf game. The Four Foundations will teach you how to be your own coach, and not waste time on methods that don't work. Stop listening to your friend's questionable tips and learn what all the greats have figured out. Jon uses the phrase “Zombie Range Sessions” to describe how a lot of golfers “practice.” He shares that Engagement in your practice is the most important factor to using practice to effectively improve your game. And he – like me! – loves using Dr. Schools Foot Powder Spray as a golf training aid.

The following is an excerpt from Jon Sherman’s The Four Foundations of Golf , a complete guide to golf that a player of any level can use to lower their scores and increase their enjoyment of the game. The Four Foundations of Golf by Jon Sherman has been instrumental in my improvement as a golfer, and I believe it is the best book amateur golfers can buy. Oh, and it has zero swing technique advice.

The Four Foundations of Golf: How to Build a Game That Lasts The Four Foundations of Golf: How to Build a Game That Lasts

How to practice efficiently. Get detailed, step-by-step instructions on methods that will increase your skills and finally transfer your practice range game to the course Learn mental techniques to calm yourself, build routines, and stand over the ball with more confidence Jon offers a genuinely unique perspective as a player-coach. His methods are tried and tested - and proven to help golfers worldwide get better without having to stand on a range all day, tinkering with their swing. The Four Foundations of Golf is an excellent addition to any golf library, explaining a wide range of improvement methods in great depth without being confusing. You'll get so much out of this book, you'd be a fool not to get it!" Thank you for the new book! Your timing is perfect. I am 64 and took up golf 18 months ago along with my 30-year old son. We have listened to you and Adam and the rest from the start. Instead, grit is about having what some researchers call an “ultimate concern”–a goal you care about so much that it organizes and gives meaning to almost everything you do. And grit is holding steadfast to that goal. Even when you fall down. Even when you screw up. Even when progress toward that goal is halting or slow.I was utterly terrified of intermediate wedge shots for years and would do anything to avoid leaving myself 30-80 yards from the hole. Eventually, I realized this was impossible to do, and to get better, I had to conquer the problem head-on. So I poured over Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible. I highlighted, took notes, and made a genuine effort to absorb the information.

‎The Four Foundations of Golf on Apple Books

Not started applying loads of this yet but even just reflecting on the chapter about grit really helped me after a couple of tough/disappointing sessions at the range. One week later, I hit the ball as well as I ever have. Buffett cites two chapters from Intelligent Investor that introduce the concepts of Margin of Safety and Mr. Market. Those two simple but remarkable concepts would define Buffett’s investment approach from then on. There are a ton of great chapters outside of the three chapters highlighted above. A few that come to mind are Better Golf is Not About Birdies, What is a Good Shot?, Wedge Practice, and What Can You Control? Jon does not bog you down with technical aspects of the swing or other technical deep dives. He focuses on developing skill and transferring that skill to the course with Strategy (Part 2), including course management, proximity, shot patterns, course study, pre- and post-shot routines, and mental analysis. An absolute must-read for any golfer of any level. I’m in my early 40s and wish a mentor, coach, or my dad had put a book like this in front of me when I was 9 years old (albeit the data Jon references was not available in the 1990s, but you get the point).It wasn’t easy, but now I genuinely believe that I am good at both. But I had to change my processes and habits along the way. As I kept slowly chipping away and celebrating my tiny accomplishments, I was also proving my new identity. I did not want to be the dissatisfied golfer who looked at the course with fear anymore. Using Grit On the Course There are many reasons why “golf grit” is harder to develop. It’s much easier for some to give up when you become embarrassed and your ego is damaged. I know that was the case for me. The key to building lasting habits is focusing on creating a new identity first. Your current behaviors are simply a reflection of your current identity. What you do now is a mirror image of the type of person you believe that you are (either consciously or subconsciously).

The Four Foundations of Golf - Booktopia

In a way, I was shifting my mindset and identity. While I still have to work on these shots to maintain my skill, I believe I am an excellent intermediate wedge player. One of my favorite authors, James Clear, describes these as identity-based habits. I hope you can start building more consistent and positive habits on the golf course. In concept, this all sounds very simple. But to this day, despite what I consider a very high grit level, there are still rounds where I have to struggle to stay engaged. And I believe on those days, it’s where you have your best chance to grow your grit and solidify these habits. This is no different than someone trying to establish a fitness routine – the moments you feel tired and lazy are the actual test. If your goal is to shoot lower scores, you should read this wonderful book by Jon Sherman! His advice is practical, impactful, and presented with clearly reasoned, objective analysis. Highly recommended for every golfer who's serious about improving their game."This is a guest post by Sean Denning from the Par Machine After playing the game for more than 20 years, I finally became a scratch golfer in 2020! My handicap had been in the low single digits for about 15 of those years, but I could never seem to … Why You Want to Be a System Golfer, and How to Do It Are you struggling to take your golf game to the next level? Learn the philosophy that has helped thousands of players worldwide lower their scores and improve their relationship with golf. The chapters around managing expectations were particularly helpful to me, using Strokes Gained understanding. For example, knowing you are almost always better off getting closer to the hole, as long as you avoid hazards (water, bunkers, deep rough) or out OOB. That alone had me working my driver and long irons more deliberately. A great book for a beginner to golf. I read a couple of chapters when I went to the golfing range or played a round. Spreading out the reading and applying some of the ideas helped a lot!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment