276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Disenchantment

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Celia Bell’s debut historical fiction novel, The Disenchantment, is somewhat aptly titled, seeing as it describes how I feel now that I’ve finished it – disappointed and dissatisfied. A shimmering, sexy, thrilling tale of intrigue and desire, and the dark paths we walk to keep our secrets safe. Bell has written a shining debut' Kiran Millwood Hargrave, author of The Dance Tree If there is a book is about any one of the following three things: 1. pre-revolutionary France, 2. girlfriends who murder, 3. a battle of wits against a tenacious detective, say no more, I'm already sold. This book happens to have all three. Marie Catherine is an unhappily married baroness and mother who has a gift for weaving beautiful fairy tales, mostly for the entertainment of her two children. She's involved in a clandestine affair with younger noblewoman, Victoire Rose de Bourbon, a relative of the king. When Victoire impulsively commits murder to protect Marie Catherine, they find that their troubles are only just beginning.

The baronne’s right hand rested lightly on her young son’s shoulder. Her daughter stood at her left side. The children were perhaps six and nine, and both had reached the point of the sitting where they had begun to fidget. Lavoie disliked painting children. They didn’t know how to stand still, and the children of the rich were often little monsters, raised permissively by servants and then summoned to pose for hours with parents who were unpredictable strangers. We love historical lesbian romances, and The Disenchantment byCelia Bellsatiates our hunger for more. . . . The novel explores witchcraft,female scholars, and characters who defy traditional gender norms, giving us everything to appease our desire for historical feminist stories.” The daily norms of those living in 17th century Paris with the frivolity, the decadence, but also the oppression and the poverty is beautifully, yet brutally captured. The Disenchantment is historical fiction at its best, authentic, captivating and bewitching. It's difficult to believe this is a debut, so strong is the storytelling, characterisation and ambience. Filled with rich and beautiful detail that brings 17th Century Paris alive. The sights, the smells, the oppression and suspicions all feel very real in this evocative, atmospheric tale of intrigue and sapphic love.The Disenchantment is a superb work of historical fiction that is both authentic and engaging. Despite being a debut novel, the author has masterfully crafted a compelling story, vivid characters, and a convincing atmosphere that truly brings 17th-century Paris to life. The book is filled with intricate and fascinating details that capture the essence of the time and place, from the sights and smells to the pervasive oppression and distrust. This atmospheric and thrilling tale of intrigue and same-sex romance is a delight to read, and I'm excited to see what the author has in store for future works.

This radiant and thrilling debut follows a passionate love affair between two noblewomen who wish to free themselves from their repressive society, whatever the cost. On the weaker side, I don’t think all of the characters or their motives were fully developed to me. The romance between the two main women was what I was most excited for but turned into the least interesting perspective overall. It also felt like a lot of really cool elements of sapphic love, a murder investigation, witches, and different power dynamics, but it just didn’t seem to all come together. Despite life and death being literally on the line, the stakes never fully sunk in. Things that I really loved about this book, one was the atmospheric writing. I feel if this sort of vibe and atmosphere is one you enjoy you can just sink into it because the writing was spot on. Conversely if you’re not that interested it could get tedious. Fortunately I was into it. Also as I mentioned, I loved the historical context and also that were focusing on the characters that are usually sidelined. We followed women, servants, an aspiring artist, and a run down police officer. There were a lot of shifting perspectives which was great. A tasty, if not always tasteful, tale of supernatural mayhem that fans of King and Crichton alike will enjoy. It is known (probably from my review of The Empty Room) that I'm not the biggest fan of omniscient POV in novels. This was no different, though obviously, I liked this novel a lot more. Marie Catherine is an interesting character, but I feel that the omniscient perspective made it difficult for the reader to know her on a deeper level. Though, perhaps using the omniscient POV is actually quite clever, as it seems that Marie Catherine does not give her full self to anyone. Another character I really liked and sympathized with was Jeanne. If the POV just flipped between the two of them, it would have been a lot more focused, though I understand that other characters' POVs (I will not name names in case of spoilers) are important and even necessary to the story.The Disenchantment is a rare find in queer historical fiction. . . . a very good suspenseful story. [Bell]has a fine eye for detail, capturing Paris and its intrigues.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment