276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Serpent's Point: Book 26 in the DI Wesley Peterson crime series

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ellis connects archaeological studies of the past with present-day crimes, and the setting in Devonshire along with the other characters in the police station are also well-done. The woman had been house-sitting at Serpent's Point and Wesley is surprised to discover that she was conducting an investigation into unsolved missing persons cases. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. Meanwhile Neil, Wesley's friend from his days as an anthropology student, is excited to find what looks like the remains of a Roman village and we learn, through letters, that this is not a new discovery. A beguiling author who interweaves past and present' The Times__________________Serpent's Point in South Devon is the focus of local legends.

It turns out that Susan is on a quest to learn more about her friend's husband who has disappeared completely.Busy because it also is a site of suspected Roman habitation discovered by two young girls using their metal detectors. There were elements in the story as I read that seemed familiar but it still felt as if I hadn’t read the book. The intermittent excerpts from the 1921 archaeological dig team didn't feel too relevant throughout the book and it didn't have too much impact on the ending which was disappointing. The enticing opening of this the 26th book in the DI Wesley Peterson series set in Devon has you hooked with the first line ‘The Bridegroom had strangler’s hands.

A male character talks about his male partner who died and the cops says "well he couldn't have had a sexual interest in the woman, then". However, they have found some coins in the field and when Wesley sees them, he immediately contacts his university friend Neil Watson, with whom he had studied archaeology at Exeter university. There’s two plots that run alongside one another, one of the main investigation but another of a historical Roman archeological dig that’s occurring, which at first I didn’t like.

But as they investigate Susan Brown's life, they discover she was investigating the disappearance and murder of two other women. Despite his interest in archaeology Wesley took the decision to join the police force, although he still retains his interest in archaeology and also his friendship with Neil. When a skeleton is uncovered, the pressure rises to find a killer, and Wesley and Neil realise that Serpent's Point holds more secrets than anyone could have imagined. No matter how hard I try, I never figure it all out when I read one of her Wesley Peterson mysteries, and that makes the entire experience such a joy.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment