276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Glenfarclas 15 Years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If any provision of these Terms is held invalid, the remainder of the Terms shall continue in full force and effect. With water, the fresh green grape aromas pop out of the glass alongside some sherry notes. There are definitely some nutty notes as well as honey wafting out of the glass. The smoke is slightly more prominent, but we aren’t talking Laphroaiggian levels here. The palate is more buttery and fruity, and less cakey with water. The finish reveals icing sugar, vanilla frosting and a touch of orange zest bitterness with water. This is tasty both ways, but I prefer it neat.

Glenfarclas 15, 21, and 25 year old | Malt - Whisky Reviews Glenfarclas 15, 21, and 25 year old | Malt - Whisky Reviews

The Glenfarclas distillery has been a more or less ‘family-owned’ enterprise for well over a century. The distillery is well recognized for a broad and approachable range of malt whiskies, including the cask-strength ‘105’ and an awfully well-priced 40 year-old expression. The Glenfarclas 15, in particular, is something of a storied dram amongst the membership of the Connosr community. To many, it seems especially reminiscent of Christmas cakes and puddings but—being of Jewish ancestry and having had no Christmas tradition permeate my atheist-buttressed childhood—I know little of such treats. Thus, I provide a more ‘secular’ review of this whisky. Now, the Glenfarclas 15 - my first from that distillery - smells and tastes absolutely like Christmas cake. To be sure, I wafted it under my girlfriend’s nose (I think she's got a better sense of smell than me) and she’s agrees, though is insistent that it’s with the icing on top). There's the sweetness, the dried fruits. When the 15 leaves you with the dry wood, the 105 end with the wine notes and a late and surprising bitterness. All of these are so much more layered, textured, and variegated than anything coming out of Macallan these days. Each one is an overachiever for the age and price, with the 21 year old being the best value for money among the three. They’re sherried, but not sherry bombs given the relatively low bottling strength. The subtlety works in their favor, allowing some novel nuances to come to the fore.However, by 1898, the Pattison Brothers were spectacularly bankrupt, which put considerable strains on Glenfarclas for the next 15 years. This brush with bankruptcy has seen Glenfarclas rely on working capital, rather than borrowed money ever since. “We only make what we can afford, and we never borrow money to make it” states George S Grant in David Broom’s World Atlas of Whisky. Financial Freedom

Glenfarclas 15 Years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl

One; this distillery (the 15 year old bottling in particular) has achieved a level of balance that other distilleries could only dream of.Yes another review of Glenfarclas 15 yo. What for! The answer is easy: for batch variation! It is not only A'bunadh that we need to revisit. I thought that another modern classic deserved the same treatment. So here I go... The Glenfarclas 15. No color added, bottled at 46% instead of 43% like most of their standards because apparently that's the way the founder enjoyed it. Recently, I had on the same night the 105 and A'bunadh batch 46. I said on another thread that it was unfair to compare the two of it and that it would be more interesting to compare the 105 to the 15 yo. So here I am.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment