276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Finding Hildasay: How one man walked the UK's coastline and found hope and happiness

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Publishing director Sara Cywinski acquired world all language rights directly from the author. Lydia Ramah, Pan non-fiction editor, will edit the book. The book will be published on February 2023. He made an impulsive decision to set himself a challenge of walking the entire UK coastline. Little did he know at the time just how long it would take to cross the finish line — and the encounters that lay ahead that would turn his life around. A man who lived in Shetland for nine months while walking the length of the UK is to release a book about his journey. Northern Ireland One of NI’s leading companies will ‘take some time to fully reopen’ after Newry flooding 18:26 These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.

Finding Hildasay by Christian Lewis | Waterstones Finding Hildasay by Christian Lewis | Waterstones

Pan Macmillan has bagged Finding Hildasay, a memoir from veteran Chris Lewis which reflects on his time spent walking the United Kingdom coastline. Finding Hildasay is Christian Lewis’s brutal but beautiful true story of survival, walking the coast of Britain – his dog Jet in tow – and finding a different way to live. With a foreword from longtime supporter Ben Fogle. Kate gave up a career training teachers and last spring the couple welcomed their newborn son, Magnus, with Kate having walked and wild camped throughout her pregnancy. “It’s been phenomenal,” she says. “I could never have expected when I joined that we would have had a baby on the way.” Since Magnus joined them, the couple have slowed in pace, using a van to carry their things and sleep in when needed.Christian is now walking through Devon. He will continue around the coast of Cornwall and along the coast of Gloucestershire before reaching Wales and the home stretch to Swansea. In his darkest depression, one idea brought Christian Lewis out of the depths - and into a new life. Finding Hildasay, read by the author, is a brutal and beautiful true story of depression, survival, walking, and the meaning of home.

Finding Hildasay by Christian Lewis - Pan Macmillan

In his darkest depression, one idea brought Christian Lewis out of the depths - and into a new life. Finding Hildasay is a brutal and beautiful true story of depression, survival and the meaning of home. With a foreword from long-time supporter Ben Fogle.Finding Hildasay: How one man walked the UK’s coastline and found hope and happiness by Christian Lewis Christian Lewis is sitting in the kitchen of a family home that is not his own, having only met the owners once before, near St Peter Port, Guernsey. He needed a reliable internet connection to do this interview and the family, who have followed his journey on social media, offered him their place. This, says Lewis over Zoom, is “not the first time things like this have happened”. That’s putting it mildly. Now I was finally out of the force of the wind, my body began to warm – the part where the real pain sets in. I’d felt it plenty of times before on this journey, but this time it was different. As I began to regain feeling in my fingers and toes, it burned so strongly that I just sat in tears of pain.’ What has his journey given him so far? “I don’t need much if I’ve got this,” he says, gesturing around him. “As long as I’ve got Jet, Kate and Magnus, then I don’t need anything else to make me happy.” Then, with a shrug of his shoulders, he adds: “The simpler things in life: staying young and having fun – not getting too serious – are very important. And I love the outdoors.” Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

book Ex-paratrooper who spent months in isles to release book

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason. LATEST | NI traffic alerts: Full list of road closures due to flooding and Larne road closed after collisionA self-described “all-or-nothing kind of guy”, Lewis has added even more to his adventure, completing the Three Peaks challenge – climbing the mountains of Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis – along the way. Not only, he says, has it restored his faith in humanity, it’s also how he met Kate, the woman who is now his wife and with whom he has a son, and a pet dog, Jet – a lurcher cross. But what he really hadn’t bargained on was the passengers set to join him: Jet, a beautiful dog he adopted on the west coast of Scotland, who hasn’t left his side since, and the love of his life Kate, who he met by a pure twist of fate and who has just welcomed their baby Magnus into the world. The family of four are set to finish the final leg of their coastal journey together." Join Christian Lewis as he walks the entire coastline of the UK – his dog Jet in tow – and rebuilds his life, step by step. With a foreword from longtime supporter Ben Fogle, Finding HIldasay is his inspiring true story of reconnecting with nature and finding hope along the way. Nine months into his five and a half year journey Christian adopted a dog, Jet, which has accompanied him all the rest of the way. Three and a half years in he met his soulmate, Kate Barron, who also joined him in his trek. The pair now have a baby son.

Finding Hildasay | Christian Lewis | 9781035006793 | NetGalley Finding Hildasay | Christian Lewis | 9781035006793 | NetGalley

I had mixed emotions as the ferry started to pull off. After my last time here, I’d vowed never to return again — but this time I’d seen it in a completely different light. I’d loved my time there and would leave with wonderful memories. Now I was finally out of the force of the wind, my body began to warm - the part where the real pain sets in. I'd felt it plenty of times before on this journey, but this time it was different. As I began to regain feeling in my fingers and toes, it burned so strongly that I just sat in tears of pain.' Mr Lewis said the book would show people “the reality of what this walk was like from the beginning”. In my mind, I would imagine the worst-case scenario and make sure I was ready for it. If I was to snap a leg in one of the wild sections of Scotland edging around a mountain, I would work out what I would need and that would be all I took. My foraging skills were something I was getting much better at, and if I had wi-fi, I’d always be jotting down tips in my journal and then putting them into practice.Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment