276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America (Bryson Book 12)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bryson is surprised that the children at the local high school do not know about the case but a teacher explains how the libraries in the area have banned the book. Although I have never been to America so I would be able to read it with innocent eyes, having never been there. Bryson does not mince words, and his perspective on former Austrian president Waldheim echoes mine but is perhaps more trenchant.

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill

Steph: I get the impression he is generally funny and heartfelt — that’s what I’m getting from In A Sunburned Country, but I’m worried that’s because it’s about somewhere else so it’s easy to breeze over what might otherwise be insulting. And this woman without any clothes on, naked as the day she was born except for a coonskin cap, came running at us from the southwest. I felt very hard done by and it was only years later that I could appreciate that the place has a real beauty, albeit it one that might escape most people.The world is crazy and there is a lot of stupidity and there are a lot of things that are exasperating, but more and more I’ve tried to balance that with some positives because there is also a lot of good in the world. Bryson, born in Des Moines in 1951, has in effect written two versions of his midwestern upbringing: in The Lost Continent he took every opportunity to mock Iowa and its people; 17 years later in his 2006 memoir The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, he provided a kinder portrait. I can't imagine I will learn anything useful from this book other than how sorry I am for every person who encountered (and will encounter) Bill Bryson on his travels.

The Lost Continent Summary | SuperSummary

Such was the popular impact of the book that there is a now a children’s prize for science communication awarded in his name, and in 2013 Bryson was the first non-Briton to be elected an honorary fellow of the Royal Society.There is a picture of a tree-General Sherman that is the 'biggest living thing on earth'that you are able to drive into.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment