276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hatful Of Hollow

£10.995£21.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For David Jensen on 26 June 1983 (broadcast 4 July): " These Things Take Time", " You've Got Everything Now", "Wonderful Woman"

Hatful of Hollow reached No. 7 on the UK Albums Chart, remaining on the chart for 46 weeks. [12] In 2000, Q magazine placed the album at No. 44 on its list of the "100 Greatest British Albums Ever". The second song title on the album that's actually a question. It's also my favorite song and the one that got me into the band. Marr's distorted guitar effect is hypnotic and the lyrical content is an absolutely brilliant piece of sociological analysis. British album certifications – The Smiths – Hatful of Hollow". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 5 August 2023.

33 Issues

From the contemporary perspective, it sometimes seems as if The Smiths are one of the most consistently talked up bands of all time. However, on Hatful of Hollow, you get a very organic account of the band, and it confirms every common understanding of the group.

The radio session versions of songs are different from other studio recordings. Some of the major differences are: Still Ill" opens and closes with a harmonica solo, and sounds less hollow and slightly slower than the version on The Smiths. We can get hold of a copy for you from one of our suppliers, but we cannot guarantee a delivery time.When first broadcast, these radio sessions mainly featured songs which were otherwise unavailable. All were subsequently re-recorded for singles or for the band's debut album the following year. "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" was recorded in the studio in June 1984, but the only version ever released was the September Peel session. melancholic, LGBT, male vocalist, melodic, lonely, introspective, bittersweet, romantic, sentimental, poetic, existential, passionate, sarcastic, quirky, energetic, longing, depressive, alienation, love, sad, atmospheric Propelled by Andy Rourke's beautiful bass-line, Morrissey sings about a couple with different views on their relationship and how they are perceived by society. There's also a bit of harmonica in the song that works well. Beginning with a jangle style guitar break by Marr, the narrative of the song moves between the two perspectives of a boy and a girl each dealing with their insecurities. Absolutely brilliant music.

William, It Was Really Nothing’, ‘What Difference Does It Make?’, ‘This Charming Man’, ‘How Soon Is Now?’, ‘Hand In Glove’ and even ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’, you could argue that all of The Smiths’ most important early songs comprise the album. This is not what makes it so brilliant, though. It is the way that songs on the record are alternative versions that makes it so essential. It is singles, B-sides and rarities all meshed into just over 56 minutes of The Smiths at some of their finest points. Take the David Jensen version of ‘These Things Take Time’, for instance. It was an augmented version of The Smiths that you got on Hatful of Hollow, and as an adult, I now see what the stranger meant. To the stranger who once told me that Hatful of Hollow is the only Smiths album you need, I get it. It trumps their debut in every way and is more consistent than their subsequent records, regardless of how expansive they would go on Meat Is Murder, and The Queen Is Dead. If you want to capture the early magic of The Smiths when arguably they were at their zenith, this is the album for you. Superb drumming here by Mike Joyce exemplified by the double snare hits. The first person narrative of the lyrics follows a man suffering from an unhealthy obsession with sex and desire. Goddard, S, 2013. Songs That Saved Your Life - The Art of The Smiths 1982–87. 2nd ed. U.K.: Titan Books. P. 121 Cavanagh, D, 1993. Irreproachable: The Smiths: the very best of British?. Q Magazine, 1 December 1993.

Recommendations

More harmonica begins the song, which utilizes a fast tempo full of energetic instrumentation, and yet Marr's guitar lines are soothing and calming. The song ends with another short harmonica solo.

Underneath the music, I could hear the faint whispers of the stranger, in his distinctly Leeds accent, like a musical Banquo haunting me with cries of ‘Hatful of Hollow’ and ‘Only Smiths record…’ as I entered adulthood, I started to realise what the stranger meant.

Companies, etc.

News" (PDF). Record Mirror. 20 October 1984. p.6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 January 2022 . Retrieved 1 July 2022. The Smiths release a bargain price special album on November 2. 'Hatful Of Hollow' Fletcher, T, 2012. A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths. 1st ed. U.K.: Random House. p. 355.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment