276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Rising Tide: A dark, atmospheric mystery from bestseller Ann Cleeves, featuring Vera Stanhope, star of ITV's Vera

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The pupils - Philip Robson, Annie Laidler, Daniel Rede, Rick Kelsall, Isobel Hall, Kenneth Hampton and Charlotte Thomas - bonded with one another and agreed to have a reunion on Holy Island every five years. At the first five year revisit to this place, one of the friends died in a car accident, being swept away by the tide crossing recklessly to the mainland. The island is linked to the mainland by a causeway that floods twice a day – the rising tide of the title that plays a key role in the action. The story starts with a reunion of friends who meet every five years and, of course, there are hidden secrets and past sins that are threatening to resurface to the point that someone desperate enough is led to murder to keep his secrets hidden! Und dennoch ist der ersten Vermutung, dass der Täter aus eben diesem Kreise stammt, nichts entgegenzusetzen.

The mystery was also a little sub-par this time around in my opinion, and the ending was heartbreaking. Ann Cleeves’s Vera Stanhope is a great character and series and The Rising Tide is now my favorite of her novels. Alle eint eine gemeinsame Vergangenheit: Vor fünfundvierzig Jahren bei dem ersten Klassentreffen war ein Mädchen tödlich verunglückt. Die Vielzahl an Nebenschauplätzen verleiht der Geschichte zusätzlichen Charme und hält den Leser in Atem. The Sunday Times Who doesn’t love ‘large and shabby’ Vera Stanhope, the blunt detective in Ann Cleeves’s Northumberland police procedurals?She is the creator of popular detectives Vera Stanhope and Jimmy Perez who can now be found on television in ITV's Vera and BBC One's Shetland. Another murder occurs soon afterward, and Vera suspects the deaths - possibly including Isobel's demise 45 years ago - are connected. Tragedy followed at a reunion five years after they first started meeting when Isobel Hall, one of their friends, drowned in the rising tide on the causeway that leads to the island. I tried to slow down my reading because who knows when or if there will be another Vera book but I couldn't control myself. Ann's success was announced at the 2006 Dagger Awards ceremony at the Waldorf Hilton, in London's Aldwych, on Thursday 29 June 2006.

DI Vera Stanhope once again displays her sharp wit, her unwillingness to delegate and her dogged persistence in solving another mystery set in the North-East – this time on the mysterious and atmospheric Holy Island, known to southerners as Lindisfarne. A group of friends have been meeting every five years on Holy Island (Lindisfarne) since their initial, school organised trip, as teenagers.Good old Rick was also writing a book, with fictionalized events, that wasn't well received among his group of friends. Although the story is written with multiple points of view, it is Annie, the organizer and mainstay, who is the principal of the secondary characters and the one with the greatest depth of character—“The years, stretching ahead of her, seemed empty, devoid of light or fun. They stay at Pilgrims’ House, an austere setting and former nunnery, the scene of their initial getaway when they were teenagers. The group is down to Annie, Daniel, Lou, Ken, Rick, and Phillip; Isobel having crossed the causeway too late and having drowned several years before, and Charlotte who stopped coming.

Zu allen Figuren und speziell dem Polizeiteam fließen viele private Informationen ein, die für Spannung in allen Nebensträngen sorgen. The Rising Tide is another triumph for Vera and for Ann Cleeves, who provides such a compelling and ever-developing series set in such a fabulous part of the country.In the present day, one of their number, a well-known journalist Rick Kelsall is found hanging from a vaulted ceiling. Vera and her team start to investigate and try to figure out what each one of the friend's group is hiding and who has the strongest motive! But with the tide rising, secrets long-hidden are finding their way to the surface, and Vera and the team may find themselves in more danger than they could have believed possible. For those who both read the books and watch the television series, it must be said that it’s a pleasure to still have Joe Ashworth as Vera’s second in the books—“her surrogate son, and her conscience.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment