276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball Pen Set - Black, Pack of 5

£5.835£11.67Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Fineliners’ needlepoint tips make them a great choice for detailed sketches and crisp writing, with some friction against paper. Even if you write with a heavy hand and create indents on the paper, FriXion ink will disappear so long as heat is able to reach it. The “erased” sections can be written over and “erased” as many times as needed. So in summary, straight from the manufacturer’s mouth so to speak, a summary of using the Frixion pens on fabric: Sometimes they left what I call a “ghost” mark after steaming the initial mark away. It was faint, but certainly not something you would want to see on your quilt.

Having this information will ensure that you’ll be one step closer to getting that really great writing experience we all desire. How well does the Eraser “Erase”?I know of a person who filled out some paperwork with a Frixion pen, and gave the papers to someone else. Of course she left them in a hot car, not knowing what could happen. Oh no! It’s blank! So the author re-wrote the paper, not knowing that the freezer would solve this issue. I do think we need to continue to pass the word about the “hazards” of using these pens. Thank you for your research. The information provided, and the comments / replies prove that this is a “hot button” (pun intended) for quilters! Some people like 0.7mm tipped pens because it’s not too bold like the 1mm or too thin/light like the 0.5mm. Others prefer the extra-fine point while there are a few who is more at ease writing with the medium point. Whatever tip you prefer isn’t an issue. The issue is, do you know what kind you prefer? This is my fourth and hopefully my final post on Frixion pens. A recent discussion on FaceBook prompted me to explore this one last time. Some prominent quilters and artists have said things about the Frixion pens that I have not found to be true in my own experience, so I needed to get the facts. I ended up talking directly with a rep at Pilot to get the facts. Frixion pen For me, I will not use these pens very often because I frequently do competition pieces. I cannot risk having any problems with the marking method I use. I think they are great pens for other marking needs but we need to be aware of their limitations. And remember that the Pilot pen company did not design these pens for fabric.

There are many more colors available, and I think it’s safe to assume the other colors behave similarly to the ones I’m trying. When I hear “erasable pen” I think of those old skinny, goopy ballpoints with the hollow erasers on the end. Remember those? They skipped on the paper, smeared like crazy, and dropped what can only be described as ink boogers. So, just to put your mind at ease, FriXion pens are NOT your grandma’s erasable pens. Overall Writing Experience They are fantastic for school. Like regular gel pens, the ink easily flows & does not pool or dry in the tip. Unlike regular gel pens, they form a very thin line & can actually be erased. Students who use Frixion pens tend to have neater papers than those using ballpoint pens (which can also sometimes be erased) or other gel pens (which cannot be erased at all) and I’ve yet to see a single instance where a student ended up with ink all over his/her hands from a Frixion pen. I’m 100% in favor of them on paper. I personally don’t allow them anywhere near my sewing studio. The PILOT company is strongly committed to preserving the environment. Frixion erasable pens are made with a minimum of 50% recycled plastic (except for consumables), and are refillable for more economical, long-lasting use. I do not know whether anyone else mentioned this, but we also have “other chemicals” that could be interacting with the inks – these would be waxes and any treatment used on batiks to easily lift the wax after the dye is applied, the chemicals in the dyes, the chemistry of our water in the area where we live – perhaps this water element is THE key contributing factor that affects the ability of some quilters to remove the ink when laundering and others who saw no difference after laundering.I have since used it successfully to remove ink stains and marks both old & new from many different fabrics. Another source of chemicals would are the brand of spray starch or fabric finishes used during the pressing process. As to the ghost marks, I did not find a pattern as to which fabrics would show the marks. Some say that if you pre-wash your fabrics you won’t get those marks. That was not the case for me. So I had to test on any fabric I wanted to use them on to make sure I would not be left with ghost marks after steaming the ink marks away. So I was off to find it which I did at my local Lowe’s. I raced home to try it on my quilt. I was very wary but was thrilled when the marks were completely removed from my quilt. No ring, no shadow, no damage to the fabric, batting etc.

Jenny thanks for the great article, my experience with Frixion pens found everything you said to be true. Quilters wrote articles noting that if the marks reappeared in the cold, it was because the quilter did not thoroughly steam the marks. This simply is not the case. The ink combination used in the pens has two parts-one part makes the mark and one part makes the mark disappear. There is still ink left on your quilt after steaming, you just can’t see it. The ink is still there and will reappear in the cold. The marks will reappear if the quilt gets cold (anything below freezing I think-I did not confirm the specific temperature) unless the mark is completely removed with an ink remover. Even after a thorough steam of the marks, they will reappear in the cold. This is part of the inherent chemistry of the ink combination.

Frixion pens sometimes leave a ghost mark after steaming. This is the thermo ink showing on the quilt, not the gel. The Pilot rep said to rid the piece of ghost marks you would need to treat it with the ink removers listed above. Having said that, I really don’t have a single marking solution that works on all or even most of my fabrics. If you or anyone you know (and trust!) ever does a Craftsy class or other web tutorial on quilt marking, please let me know — I’d be first in line to sign up!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment