276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Slowdown: The End of the Great Acceleration-and Why It's Good for the Planet, the Economy, and Our Lives

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Published in the midst of a global pandemic, Dorling’s insightful and persuasive book is a well-timed forecast that the storm will eventually subside and humankind will advance towards an era of peace and stability for all.”—Theo Curtis, LSE Review of Books In fact, at many points through the book it is not possible to decide if Dorling’s thesis, rather than being the logical conclusion from an analysis of a compressive set of evidence, is not instead the expression of the wish - of a man who is himself reaching middle age and ageing - for a simpler and slower world after the exhausting efforts of trying to keep up with it during the first 20-25 years of adult life. Not understanding fully your interpersonal relationships, desires, dreams, and spirituality affects how you relate to everything that's around you.

The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down” released in 2012 by the author Haemin Sumin is a guide to mindfulness and meeting with our inner wisdom.

Find out how to have light thoughts and make your life much more harmonious, always keeping calm in the midst of the world's frenzy.

Whether you’re looking for inspo at the start of your slow living journey, or want some deeper insights into the lifestyle, these slow living books are life-changing guides to a better life. She recounts her journey to recovery, from guiltily taking time off work to swimming in the Blue Lagoon and celebrating solstice at Stonehenge. However, in many cases, some people confuse controlling their emotions by repressing them. This ends up causing an emotional overflow in the future.

Some of Dorling’s most insightful moments are when he pours cold water on the enthusiasm of the technophilic worshippers of Silicon Valley. The reality is that the digital wizardry of the twenty-first century, though certainly impressive and undeniably important, cannot compare with the wave of innovations of the late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries known as the Second Industrial Revolution. Termed the ‘special century’ by the historian Robert Gordon, the period 1870-1970 was unique in the scale of its inventiveness, bringing us electrification, modern pharmaceuticals, the internal combustion engine, plastics and urban sanitation, among many others. Dorling is also sceptical regarding the claim that humanity is on the precipice of creating human-level artificial intelligence (AI). Such predictions are by their nature unverifiable, but Dorling seems to be tapping into a recent general re-evaluation of the limits of AI and the extent to which progress in this area has been overhyped. Essentialism makes a case for doing less, but doing it better with more focus. It’s not about getting more done faster, but about doing the right things to make the highest impact. In part 4 of the book, the author discusses the need to maintain good relationships and how this can be achieved. Dit boekje zit zo enorm bomvol met levenslessen, ongelooflijk. Het ene spreekt wat meer aan dan het ander, maar iemand anders heeft daar misschien weer meer aan.

The End of the Great Acceleration—and Why It's Good for the Planet, the Economy, and Our Lives

Recommended for: anyone interested in how society began to speed up, why that’s not always a good thing and what’s being done about it. Featured quotes: The simple messages expounded in the work directly meet the anxieties that have become part of modern life. Thus, the author reminds us that our strength and joy come when we slow down. Who is Haemin Sunim? So, as you notice the birth of any negative feelings, try to control it. That way you will be able to get away from it completely.

Find a song that speaks to your heart. Play it over and over, and sing along to it over and over, as though you are doing it for all the wounded souls."In the book “ Emotional Intelligence”, the author Daniel Goleman describes the nature of emotional intelligence by showing scientific insights into the subject and leading us to understand how much it impacts our lives. In addition, the book teaches you how to stimulate emotional intelligence to succeed in every aspect you desire. I find the book way too Long and some of the points repeated as nauseam. It could have been a more concise book. I also cannot agree with some of his points, that economic growth will stop. Well maybe that is because 20 years ago when I wanted to go to a trip to Europe, I first needed to go to the Travel agency to book my trip. Then I go the bookshop or library to get the latest Lonely Planet. I prayed then that our hotels would be nice, and the recommended restaurants were actually good. I tried to look for taxis on the street. I needed to plan everything way in advance. Not to mention getting lost all the time with the map provided by the hotel. The South Korean monk studied film in the United States, having graduated from Princeton and Harvard, where he had his call to religious life.

Powerful, thought-provoking, and timely. Professor Dorling brilliantly exposes how spiraling work intensity, alongside bumper profits and freedoms for capital, cannot sustain people and planet. From stronger unions to a greener economy, he compellingly shows how we can choose a more hopeful and humane future.”—Frances O’Grady, General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress Recommended for: those who are overwhelmed and want practical strategies to prioritize what’s important. Featured quotes: I am working on a lot of research projects at the moment - in very diverse areas. This book will shape and retexture the arguments in all of them. There’s also a section about making time, slowing down and moving through the day with more intention. Carver’s 21-day “busy boycott” challenge offers daily prompts to protect your time. There are tips on not letting your phone run your life, and opting out of events you don’t want to attend.Dr. Devon Price once believed that productivity was the best way to measure self-worth. With their non-stop work ethic, they graduated from both college and graduate school early. However, that success came at a cost. Carver tells the story of creating her trademark Project 333 and dressing with only 33 items or less for three months. She not only freed up her time and money, but also received more compliments. Described as a stirring call to “a better, more human way to live” by one of my favourite non-fiction authors, Cal Newport, Laziness Does Not Exist is a rallying cry for readers to do things differently.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment