276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Surviving to Drive: The No. 1 Sunday Times Bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In addition to all of the above, one also learns a lot about running a Formula 1 team. Steiner not only describes his current job as the team principal of Haas F1 but his time in Rally and NASCAR and even how his current team was founded, as well. Fearless and candid... A gleeful guide to a bonkers sport from a loveable rogue insider.' - The Times What sets this book apart from other F1 books is its unique format. Instead of the traditional biographies that we've seen before from technical directors and principals which span an entire career, Steiner chronicles the events and difficulties of the 2022 season. He shares the changes and challenges brought about by the lingering effects of the pandemic, as well as what it's like to be a team principal managing the impact of new FIA rules, the budget cap, and handling a Russian driver with Russian sponsors amidst the developing situation in Ukraine. When it wasn't race week, he sometimes talked about his past in rally. I really couldn't care less. There was too much rally talk!

Written like a dairy, Haas F1 Team’s principal Guenther Steiner takes us on a trip through the 2022 Formula 1 season. I am not a biography type of guy, but being a Formula 1 fan since young age this was a must read for me. The dairy style writing makes it so that it doesn’t feel like a biography but rather feels like an inside view of a team principals mind. He also discusses the more important (but less discussed) issues in Formula 1, like which team principal he thinks would fare best in a cage match, fights with the FIA and German media, and the true cost of all those phone calls to Gene. There were parts of this book where I was crying with laughter, I couldn’t put it down. Given the year in review format, is it too desperate to hope for a new edition each year? Possibly. Guenther Steiner is one of motor racing's biggest and most celebrated characters, known to millions for his show-stealing appearances on Netflix's hugely popular fly on the wall series, Drive to Survive. People talk about football managers being under pressure. Trust me, that’s nothing. Pressure is watching one of your drivers hit a barrier at 190mph and exploding before your eyes…” Steiner's no-nonsense approach, distinctive demeanor, and penchant for a profanity have earned him a legion of fans.

Haas is het nieuwste F1 team en met hun kleinere budget worden ze vaak gezien als de underdog. Maar wie houdt er nou niet van een underdog? Na Surviving to drive ga je nog meer rooten voor het team van Haas – ik vond het al leuk als ze een goede race reden, maar nu helemaal. Vooral de passage waarin Steiner vertelt over de eerste pole van het team – door Kevin Magnussen in Brazilië. Ondanks dat het ook een deel geluk was, is het ook vele jaren van hard werk geweest. Dit begrijp je beter na het lezen van Steiners visie, en ik kreeg nogmaals zin om te juichen voor deze prestatie.

But Steiner was on the right side of history and clearly grasped the issues surrounding his Russian driver Nikita Mazepin and his team’s title sponsor Uralkali immediately after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Describing the decision to drop the main sponsor he says: “There was no debate. It had to happen for the good of Haas and the good of the sport.” Later he adds wryly: “Only Haas could have a Russian driver and a Russian sponsor at the start of a Russian war.” Surviving to Drive—a not-so-subtle linguistic twist on Drive to Survive—is the most anticipated Formula 1 book in some time. This was SUCH an easy read. Even if you’re not heavily in to Formula 1, I still think this would be an interesting insight into how it all works and understand the struggles and challenges they face. Especially since it’s all told from the mind and eyes of Guenther Steiner. He is absolutely hilarious and just seems so genuine. In Surviving to Drive, the Haas team principal takes readers inside his Formula 1 team for the entirety of the 2022 season, giving an unobstructed view of what really takes place behind the scenes. Through this unique lens, Guenther takes us on the thrilling rollercoaster of life at the heart of high stakes motor racing. One cannot deny that Steiner is unapologetically himself in this book. He writes what he thinks, as controversial as things may be. And he uses the typical Steiner tone - he used the word "fok" 280 times!

Select a format:

Guenther Steiner is one of motor racing's biggest and most celebrated characters, known to millions for his show-stealing appearances on Netflix's hugely popular fly on the wall series, Drive to Survive . Steiner emerges as not just Haas’ team principal but its public face, a motivator to its personnel, and effectively one of its co-founders given how he lobbied Gene Haas in the early 2010s to enter Formula 1. Their early encounters are relayed, including how Steiner was awoken at 2 a.m. to give a 90-minute presentation to then F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone about why Haas should be allowed into the sport. Steiner lives all of Haas’ highs and lows, and is desperate to see the team succeed. “It’s the last thing I think about before going to sleep and the first when I wake: (His wife) Gertie, (daughter) Greta, and two hundred employees scattered over the world,” he writes. Surviving to drive is geschreven als een soort dagboek, waarbij de berichten voornamelijk zijn geschreven op de dagen waarop vrije trainingen, kwalificaties en races plaatsvinden. Door deze opzet, de dagboekvorm, wordt er rechtstreeks tegen de lezer gepraat. Hierdoor voel je je heel erg betrokken: je leeft mee en hangt aan de lippen van Steiner. Written in Steiner’s voice the stylized ‘fok’ and ‘jeezos’ can become a little grating through the course of the year, but conversely it does add to the individualistic aura of the book and remind you this is Steiner and no one else.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment