276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Merrily Ever After: The latest cosy and romantic Christmas book from Sunday Times bestseller Cathy Bramley

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There’s a perfect balance between Merry and Emily’s sides of the narrative that has underpinning themes of loneliness, betrayal and the need to belong, that gives a real piquancy alongside the lovely romances.

Jones, Kenneth (October 1, 2002). " Merrily We Roll Along Cast Reunites in Emotional Concert". Playbill . Retrieved December 29, 2019. Diagnosed with endometriosis when she was younger, Elise was not supposed to be able to have kids. Not a thing that would bother Jay, since he's pretty set on never wanting kids anyway. So how will her husband react when she tell him she's pregnant ? Two years ago, her life totally changed. Now that she is feeling much happier, she’s looking forward to what the summer season might bring to her. The summer sun is definitely good for her and her disposition as well, and she is enjoying spending time having tea with her friend Alf or hanging with Gemma. A chance meeting between the two women happens while Emily and her Mum are out shopping, when they bump into each other again they recognise each other. However, Emily knows something about Merry now and isn't sure how to broach the subject.

About this book

Emily is desperately waiting for the New Year to begin, so she can finally have a fresh start. She has always put her family first, leaving little time for happiness and love. When her beloved father Ray moves into a residential home, she discovers a photograph in his belongings that has the potential to change everything. What I think I liked most about this story, was how realistically both characters reacted to the news. Elise’s concerns and insecurities were justly felt, especially considering how clear Jay made it he did not want children. Her fears about how he would react were all valid, and I’m glad she didn’t assume things would be fine (even if she was very much hoping they would be). For the musical adaptation, the story was revised to take place between 1955 and 1980, and the characters were changed: "Richard Niles", a playwright, was now Franklin Shepard, a composer; "Jonathan Crale", a painter, was now Charley Kringas, a lyricist and playwright; and "Julia Glenn", a novelist, was now Mary Flynn, a journalist and eventually a critic.

This was such a gorgeous story to read and it is based around two women. They live in the same town but don't actually know each other. One runs a candle shop the other works as a school secretary. If you love those Hallmark Christmas movies, you will be delighted that this novel combines WEDDING planning with CHRISTMAS, falling in LOVE, AND even manages to contain scenes from a SHOPPING channel. This festive and heart-warming cute read was everything (apart from some of the main characters decisions). I can understand how people could be pissed about the hero's initial reaction to the pregnancy, but I also totally understood how is anger focused on other point and where it comes from. Elise's worry about how he felt next was totally understandable too. Elise Maxwell is loving her first Christmas with her husband, Jay Smith. So far, newlywed life has been filled with laughter and lots of steamy marital "bliss." But when Elise discovers she's accidentally, against-all-odds pregnant, happily-ever-after screeches to a halt. Although she sees it as a Christmas miracle, Elise knows her new husband might not agree...

More in Offers

I guessed fairly early as to how the stories might intersect and it didn't remotely detract from my enjoyment and seeing if I was right, as I was enjoying all of the characters so much, I just was engrossed in their stories. Ray’s past life prior to his current dementia raises issues many readers will have encountered, giving a realism along with the escapism, and making readers feel part of the story. As well as the childhood of Merry, Harley in particular shows that children don’t always have the idealised experience we may imagine. There’s also a poignant consideration of how happiness can be achieved that totally embodies the real meaning of Christmas. Humour and happiness Merrily Ever After isn't all light and fluffy fun and games, but it's a realistic look at what happens after the HEA. Just a few months after their wedding, Elise and Jay's life together has come to a crossroads. Despite believing she was unable to have children, she's pregnant. Jay didn't want children. She didn't think she did either, but now she wants nothing more. Except maybe Jay. The story that results gave me a ton of feels. I was inside these characters lives and honestly felt like I was living in their heads at times. Life might not be perfect, but it certainly feels that way when they're together. Felner, Mira; Orenstein, Claudia (2006). The World of Theatre: Tradition and Innovation. Boston: Allyn & Bacon. pp.330–331. ISBN 978-0-2053-6063-5.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment