276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Thompsons Punjana Tea Bags 80 per pack

£4£8.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

No one believes that we're a Northern Ireland company, not international," says Ross, a tall, lean man, who resembles the actor Ian McIlhenny. "We only recently came out as the family behind Punjana - people wanted to know the provenance behind the brand. Everyone knows the jingle." After fresh Assam tea leaves are harvested and withered, they undergo an oxidation process — also referred to as fermentation — that exposes them to oxygen in a controlled-temperature environment for a designated period of time ( 3).

The iconic jingle, by former local ad man Rex McCaine, has been resurrected to celebrate the company's 120 years in business in Belfast - yes, Belfast. Because of its naturally high caffeine content, Assam tea is frequently marketed as a breakfast tea. Many Irish and English breakfast teas use Assam or a blend that includes it.Your body naturally produces highly reactive chemicals called free radicals. When too many accumulate, they can damage your tissues and contribute to disease and accelerated aging ( 5). Belfast-born Ross is in awe of his father and uncle's courage in taking out that famous ad on the night of the launch of Ulster Television, and for their ability to have their business up and running again only eight weeks after an IRA bomb destroyed their original premises in Ann Street at the height of the Troubles, in 1975.

For optimal health, Assam tea should be consumed without any added ingredients. If you prefer to add a bit of milk or sugar, just be careful not to spoon in too much sweetener. Summary The Thompson family founded their company in 1896, at a time when tea was delivered in chests to grocers’ shops using public transport.Excessive aluminum intake can contribute to bone loss and neurological damage, especially for people with kidney disease ( 16).

Ross and David's grandfather, former banker Robert Thompson, established the business in 1896, after falling in love with tea, and distributed to grocers on every street corner, who sold on quarts in brown paper bags.

Quality tea and blending

However, tea consumption is not generally associated with aluminum toxicity. It remains unclear precisely how much aluminum is absorbed when you drink tea ( 17). I don't like Earl Grey - the bergamot distorts the taste of the tea. "Fruit and herbal teas have become popular - ours have won 10 gold stars - but I prefer plain Punjana. I drink gallons of it." Although Assam tea makes for a healthy beverage for most people, it may not be appropriate for everyone. Caffeine content I'd be awake all night if I drank that much tea and any decaffeinated brands I've tried so far (not including Thompson's) are vile. Ross works in his factory office five days a week. Don't his frequent cuppas affect his sleep? Assam tea is often described as having a malty flavor and a rich, savory aroma. These distinct features are typically attributed to the tea’s unique production process.

We can detect the slightest difference between gardens and the sunlight they receive. You can't eat or drink anything strong before tasting and you can't be a smoker. Even David's desperately strong aftershave would put me off." It was the introduction of the second generation of the Thompson family to the tea industry that brought with it the birth of the Punjana brand in the early 1950s. The name Punjana, was dreamed up by second generation James Thompson and his wife, Lillias, the inspiration coming from an inscription of the word " Punjab" etched on the famous Gillespie statue in Comber. [1] Trivia [ edit ] Some research indicates that tannins bind with iron in your food, potentially rendering it unavailable for digestion. This reaction affects your absorption of plant-based iron sources much more than it does animal sources ( 15). If you’re pregnant, it’s suggested to limit caffeine consumption to no more than 200 mg per day ( 14). The kids there are amazing - they smile at anything. They'll see me, this big tall white man and they might think, 'He looks nasty', but they look for a reason to be happy, when they've little to be happy about. They're full of joy. It does make you think about the difference in young ones here, with all their gadgets."

Who we are

Plus, it’s relatively inexpensive and widely available. You can find it in tea shops, your local grocery store, or online. Make sure to choose a high-quality brand, as these usually boast a greater concentration of beneficial compounds ( 18). Research suggests that Assam tea’s rich supply of plant compounds may promote health in a number of ways. Boasts many antioxidants If you’re unsure whether caffeine is appropriate for your lifestyle, talk to your medical practitioner before adding Assam tea to your routine. Reduced iron absorption You have to develop a palate. David and I usually agree but we're not afraid to disagree - which makes the process more interesting. It keeps us competitive, to find the best. We're a wee bit fussy, I'm afraid.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment