276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Unmarked Witch

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's a retelling of the ghosts of Christmas past (A Christmas Carol) and talks about facing and overcoming traumas, pain, making decisions accepting the weight that each one entails and valuing what really matters in life. It has witches, spells, curses, shapeshifters and more, reading this book you immerse yourself in this wonderful world that Miranda created, while the characters start their journey and make their way through the story. Let’s start with the positives, the trials were great and interesting, the romance was delicious, the dark king was so protective and obsessed with the FMC Raven.

One thing that I feel pretty well versed in when it comes to fantasy is magic. I have always loved books with any kind of magic and I have very strong opinions on what I think works and doesn't work within a given fantasy world. I thought Lyn crafted SUCH a unique system in this where witches can receive spells throughout their life and afterwards they are inked on their skin. More powerful witches are obviously then more marked and they can call upon any number of marks at any time. In the late 1500s and early 1600s countless women and men in Britain were put on trial before judges, known as 'justices of assize', who travelled across the seven circuits of England and Wales, setting up court and summoning juries at various assize towns. This book has everything I love: romance, friendship, magic, betrayal, and a good amount of action. The former church, once known as St Mary on-the-Hill, was last used as a place of worship in the seventies. Nowadays, the building plays host to a number of events, from concerts and plays to the Chester Pride official after show party venue.I know they’re witches but I also got fae vibes reading about Bastian. If you’ve ever read The Bargainer series by Laura Thalassa or Sarah J. Maas’ A Court of Thorns and Roses, I think you’ll fall in love with this book and be just as fangirly as I am! The darkness within The Unmarked Witch is both powerful and seductive, and I didn’t want to come to the end. Raven’s story takes you to one of the most exciting worlds you’ll read this year if you love NA fantasy. That👏🏻third👏🏻act 👏🏻slapped. Context for this review - I just read “City of Ruin” a couple weeks ago so as I started this book, it wasn’t giving me a ton of originality besides the magic system. I’m not saying it copied off The Witch Collector, I’m just saying they had many similar tropes/characters archetypes and I think that affected how I perceived this book. Maybe if I’d been on a witch-hiatus, the first two acts would’ve felt fresher. The journey is full of hope, heartbreak and healing. It has everything a reader needs. Miranda did fantastic work with our Atty and Marley. This is really a work of art and I fell fast and hard for the book. It was good to see glimpses of all the other characters from the TUW duo. On no planet could I sit in a room with a woman as beautiful as you and not make a fool of myself. Forgive me for leaving so abruptly. The first dance is mine. Set in the world of the Unmarked and Unbound Witch duology, this novella comes after the events of those books. It follows the FMC Marley as she burdens Atlas (I am so glad this is more Atty content! He is best boy and you will not convince me otherwise) with the spirits of Past, Present and Future.

It's bittersweet knowing this is the end. But, it was an amazing ride from the very beginning. This will definitely be one of those cherished regular rereads. It becomes clear early on that this is a relationship-driven book. Not character-driven, as none of the characters are properly fleshed out, they are all extremely flat and one-dimensional, particularly the main character of Raven. As far as female main characters go, she is completely bland, constantly makes poor decisions, and never seems to learn from their outcomes, and it is frankly baffling to see all of the other characters orbit around her the way they do. To be fair though, the rest of the cast isn't much better in terms of complexity. Disclaimer: I received an ARC copy from the author and I'm a part of her street team. This did not effect my review and this was actually my first book by her. Oh my goodness. This was just the best little holiday novella!! 4.5 stars rounded up. It is a short, emotional read that will have you feeling all the feels with a promised HEA at the end. But my goodness does it tug on the heartstrings before you get there.Because Kirsi would wake up and choose violence every single day if anyone so much as looked at her familiar.” This spin on A Christmas Carol leaves the reader wanting more. A tale as old as time. Two people fighting separate, but similar, internal struggles. Two people who cross unexpectedly cross paths, setting their world spinning on a new axis. Two people, with one difficult choice to make. This was such a cozy book. I love the loose retelling of 'A Christmas Carol'. This novella never dragged for me and I was fully engaged with Marley and Atty's story. I loved revisiting the characters from previous books as well. It was nice to hear more from Atlas, he was a fun loving and flirty character in the previous books, so it was nice to delve deeper into his thoughts and feelings and see how his past has made it difficult for him to show more than his flirty persona. Marley was a strong FMC and I like her ability to articulate what she's feeling. She had been living with a lot of guilt and fear of her gift and it was interesting to go through her thoughts as she led Atlas through his experience as well. From the author of the heart-pounding fantasy series, Fae Rising, comes this new darkly ambitious tale.

However, I felt like I barely knew the characters which made it hard for me to feel for them once they started dying in the trials. Onyx and Willow barely had conversations with Raven so it was hard to know their motivations for hating her so much. Was it simply because she is unmarked?The only lasting evidence that can still be seen to corroborate the old stories of witchcraft in the village is the gravestone of Elizabeth Lee, said to be the last of a long line of witches from this area who was buried In the grounds of St Edmund's church her death in1792. I couldn't get past the guilt I felt. I should have stood for Zennik. I should have protested, even if the explanation I'd conjured was real. I was a coward. Because I'd lived, and he hadn't” One thing that I feel pretty well versed Gracias Miranda y equipo por darme la oportunidad de leer una copia avanzada de esta novela (ARC). Fue mágica e increíble!

And you know what I love about Miranda’s writing (aside from just saying ‘everything’)? These broken souls & shattered hearts are an opportunity for an inner strength to shine through. People like Atlas & even Marley have become a mosaic of colours & emotions, & they're a testament to how grief can show us the tiny flame burning within. Do they still hurt? Of course! But they keep trying. And I’m so grateful for this... The only witch to NOT receive any markings despite having numerous spells in her arsenal is, you guessed it, our main character, Raven. I LOOOVED Raven. She was such a real character who always tried to stay true to herself and would do anything for the people she loved. I am so excited to learn more about her magic in book two and hopefully to find out why she is unmarked! I really loved the plot of this book, witch trials, a dark king, enemies to lovers, fast paced, everything I love. I can see the potential in this story however the way it was written was not my favourite. As their connection deepens, Marley and Atlas unwittingly become entangled in the shadows of Marley's own haunted history, setting off a race against time that pushes their limits to the edge. Will Atlas summon the strength to redefine his destiny? Can they rise above the weight of their individual burdens and forge a shared future? The sentence of death was dealt out to anyone convicted of being a witch, usually by hanging, drowning, or burning and such practises continued into the 18th century.Atty and Marley were so perfect together. They're such strong characters with their own personal demons that they work through together in the past, present and future. Creo que de los espíritus, mi favorita fue Pasado. 😂 Tiene ese humor negro y un poco sádico que fue genial. Quizás es porque es la que más tiempo pasa con Marley y Atlas. The stone now hangs on the west wall of St Edmund's, beneath the round Eye of God window as a permanent reminder to the villagers of the frightful.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment