276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Starling Games | Everdell: Mistwood Expansion | Board Game | Ages 10+ | 1-4 Players | 40-100 Minutes Playing Time

£27.995£55.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The cards are much like the Events—they make sense. My favorites at this point include the adorable butterfly Poet who scours the Meadow so well, and the Greenhouse, which shares a space with the farm for some combo-tastic resource options. To be honest, just flipping through these cards made me fall in love with Newleaf and the ‘Dell all over again. My daughter even passed me her Rugwort cards as part of a card effect. It was a sweet gesture, because she knew I would just discard him at the first opportunity in favor of resources, points, or anything else. I include the laundry list of changes because, in many ways, Pearlbrook created a new game altogether. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy this game. But when I’m looking for an expansion, I’m usually looking for one that is less jarring to my sensibilities. The River doesn’t qualify in that regard. Rather than a diverse world and city-building exercise, Pearlbrook feels like a race to build the Wonders. Less a bonus setting, the River eclipses the Meadow a bit too much to rank at the top of my list. A simplified version of the base game aimed at a younger audience called My Lil' Everdell was published in 2022 . [12] Digital edition [ edit ] After this climax, the four animals continued to lead their lives… in great joy and contentment, undisturbed by further risings or invasions.”

Kaufman, Rachel (December 11, 2018). "The 10 Best Games of 2018". Smithsonian . Retrieved January 18, 2019. Everdell Board Game Review: A Charming Forest Adventure". The Board Gamer. 2023-03-05 . Retrieved 2023-04-23. Newleaf comes in as the prize of the boxed expansions because it so capably amplifies the world of Everdell and all its charm. Mechanically, the eastern railroad doesn’t overwhelm with only two new spaces. Instead, it’s a series of open doors and, increasingly with the player count, better scoring opportunities. #2 – Extra! Extra! I get similar feelings—feelings of home and grandeur—on a lesser scale when I finish a game of Everdell. The work of city building finished, with every uncertainty laid to rest, nothing remains but to enjoy the splendid scene and leave the critters to their new home in relative peace. Jonathan Bolding (2022-08-03). "One of BoardGameGeek's top games now has a Steam version". PC Gamer . Retrieved 2022-10-04.

A word on components

Playtesters: Andrew Albertsen, Rob Bell, Kat Slosarska-Bell, Joshua and Lee Boruch, Joëlle Cathala, Jennifer Dingman, Danielle Dolloff, Gabrielle Dolloff, Tim Dolloff, Jean-François Knebel, Cory Kneeland, Benjamin Leroy-Beaulieu, Carlos Lopez, Katherine Parker, Alex Peske, Amy Peske, Chrissy Peske, Tom Peske, Karl Schwantes, Nassouh Toutoungi, Damien Vocanson, Stéphanie Vocanson-Manzi, Anthony Williams, Erin Williams, Kim Williams

Pearlbrook was the first box expansion to see the light of retail day after the base game and Collector’s Edition. The western expansion introduced a new scene—the River. It also introduced the first oversized and specialized meeple—the Frog Ambassador, a specialized resource—the Pearl, and a game-changing substitution in the Wonders. River destinations instantly became a charming and lucrative source of resource swapping. Adornment cards introduced fascinating ways to spend the Pearls. The twenty new cards drew players into the new locations and options by earning and rewarding pearl collection. I am not a solo gamer. In fairness to my love of Everdell, though, and in my desire to represent the full breadth of options well, I sat down to Mistwood and a mono e mono showdown (does Nightweave even have hands?!) with the spider. This expansion did not convert me. But there are two reasons I look at Mistwood so favorably on this list.

Categories

Full disclosure: A review copy of the Everdell: Mistwood expansion was kindly provided by publisher Tabletop Tycoon . Artwork & components Deep within the twisting branches of Mistwood, many secrets lie hidden. The Monks of Mistwood have recorded the tales of heroes past and present, including stories of Everdell’s founder, Corrin Evertail, and other legendary figures from the Emerald Valley’s timeline. Through every season, the monks help to watch and shepherd the fair citizens of the valley. But deeper within the wood, a mysterious threat has been patiently waiting, making plans and sinister plots… Will the fair valley survive the webbed takeover of the clever spider Nightweave and her army of spiderlings?” The setup was no joke, obviously, but once laid out the game is quite stunning on the table. Assuming, that is, that a table of sufficient size is available. I’m not sure I’d have been half as happy playing on the floor! By game’s end, our dining room table might have been able to bear a third player, but even at two we were often standing for portions of our turn because the needed component was out of arm’s reach. The scores were bloated, but not to an extreme. Honestly, they were only a small percentage higher than my most recent play of Newleaf.

A follow-up to the game called Everdell Farshore has been announced and is expected to release in August 2023. [1] Gameplay [ edit ] Spirecrest proved its worth admirably. The Big Critters were a massive help in the wider affair, and the Weather effects forced the same sort of strategic adjustments along the way. We were still able to pull off most of our Expedition targets. For what it’s worth, the new saddles (if any out there know the frustration of the first edition’s troubles) work beautifully—we were so happy to finally mount up the critters properly. In the name of science, I had no choice but to play one game with every available expansion (with the exception of Mistwood) simultaneously to see if Everdell can bear the weight of its own worldbuilding glory. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised, though the absurd play did reinforce several of my opinions regarding the expansions. My first play of Everdell lasted three hours. I was new to so many of the concepts in the base game that we were wide-eyed throughout the experience. Three of us played that first game. With Bellfaire, the invitation was set for up to six players. Six players! On the one hand, that’s so exciting. But on the other hand, every time a new player comes to the table, the length of the game jumps inordinately. Until recently, I’m not sure I had ever had six people around the table at once who knew how to play. Those that did weren’t looking for the extended experience.Rulebook, 34 Critter Meeples (Including 6 Butterflies, 6 Pigs, 6 Stoats, 8 Spiders, each with matching Frog Ambassador and Rabbit Traveler), 1 Nightweave Meeple, 1 Deluxe d12, 2 Nightweave/Player Boards, 2 Season Tokens, 14 Web Tokens, 23 Critter and Construction Cards, 79 Nightweave Cards As expected, Pearlbrook asserted its dominant reach all over the board. The trouble with water is it gets into everything. We left the Events on the board, but there was never a moment where selecting one was more lucrative than pushing toward Pearlbrook’s Wonders or one of Newleaf’s Visitors. In the end, the difference in the score was almost equal to the difference between the Wonders my daughter and I had chased. I was worried the Visitors would turn into a late-game dumpster dive, but the mechanism is preventative. With a one-worker limit on the location at a given time, the stars must align to pull multiple cards in a given season. Plus, with all the work being done in the city, there isn’t always time to spend a worker gaining the card. Instead, they are a pleasant temptation and an occasional competition. Nicely done! Mistwood was the expansion I was looking forward to the least for some reason, but I’m glad to say that I really enjoy this expansion and can see playing with the modules quite often! Through Every Season is a great module that we will always play with. I really enjoy having the unique Farm cards as opposed to the basic ones where all eight of them are the same. I won’t play with the other modules, Corrin Evertail and More Legends, every time, but I feel like they are fun additions when you want to add in some bonus content. While I now own the wooden EverTree, and it is beautiful, I would hardly call it necessary. It is more of a conversation piece for the mantle than a practical component. Before we logged a half-dozen plays of the base game, we dispensed with the assembly of the tree. While the world stretches less into the third dimension without it, I cannot defend it as anything more than decoration for those playing on oversized tables.

a b Law, Keith (August 30, 2018). "The Beautiful Everdell is One of the Best Board Games of the Year". Paste Magazine . Retrieved January 18, 2019. Regardless of the merits, I knew from the start that Bellfaire would have to appeal to me somewhere other than the player count.

Subscribe

I’m pretty much in the same boat as Kim when it comes to Nightweave. I actually think I’d like to bring out Nightweave for some of our two-player games now and then, but it isn’t strictly necessary, so we probably won’t do it often. For solo play, though? Absolutely stellar. There’s so much content in there for a solo player, and so many ways to combine it, that you should be able to create new and challenging games for yourself every time you play! Unlike when playing with Rugwort (the base solo mode), you really do get the full Everdell experience through Nightweave. My only gripe would be that some of the iconography feels a little inconsistent (the season icons on Nightweave’s cards don’t necessarily match the season icons on the reminder tokens you look at to see what season she is currently in). I’ve also heard that some people have found the rulebook confusing, especially when reading how to integrate other Everdell content, but thankfully the designers have been very active on BoardGameGeek’s forums. There is currently a living FAQ there that should answer any questions you have.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment