276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Siren

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The characters were boring. The only thing I enjoyed about the siren sisters was their dedication and loyalty to one another. The concept behind the Sirens and the Ocean was interesting but I didn't really love it. And on top of that, the romance was 100 percent insta-love. Their feelings developed too fast after just one date that lasted for about an hour and because of that, it became way too unrealistic for me and I couldn't even feel any of the emotions that I was supposed to feel in the end. Now let's talk about Kahlen... I kinda like her, but not so much. I'm in a point of my life were I can't stand characters whose only aspiration in life is to get married. I also feel that she was unfair with her sisters most of the time... and half of the book she was just bitter and depressed. Blah... My sincerest appreciation to Katherine St. John and Grand Central Publishing for the physical Advance Review Copy. All opinions included herein are my own. There also appeared medieval works that conflated sirens with mermaids while citing Physiologus as their source. [102] [103]

Some surviving Classical period examples had already depicted the siren as mermaid-like. [7] The sirens are depicted as mermaids or "tritonesses" in examples dating to the 3rd century BC, including an earthenware bowl found in Athens [19] [21] and a terracotta oil lamp possibly from the Roman period. [7]Austern, Linda Phyllis, and Inna Naroditskaya (eds.) (2006). Music of the Sirens. Bloomington, IN: University of Indiana Press, 72. Sing me to Sleep is a strong and compelling novel that starts off strong and addictive and maintains your interest throughout! Dunbar, Julie C. (2011). Women, Music, Culture. Routledge. p.70. ISBN 978-1351857451 . Retrieved 9 August 2019. Rotroff, Susan I. (1982). Hellenistic Painted Potter: Athenian and Imported Moldmade Bowls, The Athenian Agora 22. American School of Classical Studies at Athens. p.67, #190; Plates 35, 80. ISBN 978-0876612224.

Descriptions of our characters surroundings on the other hand were just non - existent. The story starts out in a pub for example, but do I know how it looked like?? Nope. Same with Characters, I guess one dude's cheekbones looked like glass, whatever that's supposed to mean. Not sharp like glass, not cut like glass, just glass. Guess our poor man was just see-through. And everyone's eyes were a different crystal colour, but that's as far as we get. Let me preface this review by saying this book had so much potential to be amazing! It's such a cool concept but the execution was not there at all.

How to Vote

I really liked Her sometimes, but there were other times that She just confused me. I mean, I liked the idea, I think that She was the strongest character of the book, and it's the first time I read something like it. Her relationship with the girls was one of my favorite aspects of the story, it was very motherly. Illustrating the siren as a pure mermaid became commonplace in the "second family" bestiaries, and she was shown holding a musical instrument in the classical tradition, but also sometimes holding apparently an eel-fish. [80] An example of the siren-mermaid holding such a fish is found in one of the earlier codices in this group, dated the late 12th century. [f] [69] (As bird-like) I'm so disappointed in this book. I was such a huge fan of The Selection series so I expected to really like The Siren but honestly, everything was just super dull. However, in the 17th century, some Jesuit writers began to assert their actual existence, including Cornelius a Lapide, who said of woman, "her glance is that of the fabled basilisk, her voice a siren's voice—with her voice she enchants, with her beauty she deprives of reason—voice and sight alike deal destruction and death." [109] Antonio de Lorea also argued for their existence, and Athanasius Kircher argued that compartments must have been built for them aboard Noah's Ark. [110] Late Modernity (1801–1900) [ edit ] The Lion's den was one of my favorite reads last year. After my ARC request was declined everywhere I directly reached out to the publisher to beg (yes, at that point it was straight begging) for an early copy, so I was ecstatic when they sent me one (thank you, Tiffany from marketing 😄). I came into it with some trepidation cause it wouldn't be the first time I loved a debut novel but didn't like the second one, but fear not, The Siren is even better than its predecessor. And the bar was pretty high!

Robinson, Leonard (2007). William Etty: The Life and Art. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company. ISBN 9780786425310. OCLC 751047871. How would that prove that it’s actually poison if it doesn’t affect her? Oh my god, these villains are so bad. Because St. John’s scandalous novel of movie mayhem has everything you could want in a beach read – a Caribbean locale, celebrity drama, murder, romance, girl power, a hurricane. Bodleian Library MS. Bodl. 764". Oxford University, the Bodleian Libraries . Retrieved 2022-09-09. , fol. 074v.

Personalized picks at your fingertips

Dami Olukoya does a brilliant job of creating a natural, authentic voice that conveys the content and emotions within this story. Besides this, the different character voices made the listening experience even more engaging and entertaining. Add Stella Rivers to the mix. She’s Cole’s ex-wife, and once had a dazzling film career herself. After some very public mishaps and a problem with alcohol, she NEEDS this film to work so she can regain ground.

From the first chapter, I was immediately captivated by our main character, Saoirse. She has such a strong voice throughout this book and I'm so happy we get her the way we do. She was nothing short of extraordinary. She is a classic antihero, morally grey character (like actually morally grey) and she has no shortage of flaws, but I loved her SO much. She reminds me of so many fantasy heroines but also feels uniquely separate from them as well. She’s a murderous assassin with a penchant for lying and scheming, but she is MY GIRL. Do not avoid this book simply because you hated Cass's The Selection series. The two are nothing, nothing, nothing alike. The characters, the world, the writing tone are all so very different. Sure, you may still dislike this one for any number of reasons, but if you're interested in the premise, don't judge it based on a totally separate book series. The premise is interesting enough but the totality of the parts to create a meaningful whole just failed to deliver. The dialogues and the humor were bland. The romance not very convincing which is sad since Siren is basicall Sophocles, Fragments, Edited and translated by Hugh Lloyd-Jones, Loeb Classical Library No. 483. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996. ISBN 978-0-674-99532-1. Online version at Harvard University Press.I don't know how to review this book. It wasn't the best thing I have ever read, but with my emotions all mixed up and my health not being as it should be right now, this book straight up made me cry for what I yearn for: love.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment