276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pure Evil: The gripping and twisty new 2023 thriller from the Queen of Crime Drama

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Lynda's original script for the much-acclaimed Prime Suspect won awards from BAFTA, Emmys, British Broadcasting and Royal Television Society as well as the 1993 Edgar Allan Poe Award. To catch a monster and exonerate his friend, Warr must weed out the lies. But what awaits Warr if he uncovers the truth? About This Edition ISBN: Constantly mentioning about how the man puts his mask on and then takes it off once his clients advise that they’ve all had their “shots” so no need for a mask…. Blah blah blah. She formed her own television production company, La Plante Productions, in 1994 and as La Plante Productions she wrote and produced the sequel to Widows, the equally gutsy She's Out (ITV, 1995). The name "La Plante" comes from her marriage to writer Richard La Plante, author of the book Mantis and Hog Fever. La Plante divorced Lynda in the early 1990s.

Pure Evil, The gripping and twisty new 2023 thriller from the Pure Evil, The gripping and twisty new 2023 thriller from the

Lynda is an honorary fellow of the British Film Institute and was awarded the BAFTA Dennis Potter Best Writer's Award in 2000. In 2008, she was awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for services to Literature, Drama and Charity. This is tense, gripping and completely addictive. I have felt as though I have been watching the events of this one play out. This is realistic and believable, guaranteed to send shivers down the spine of the reader. As Warr digs into Middleton’s past, Ridley calls pleading for help, now accused of a murder he insists he didn’t commit. Just not for me, I’ve read far more exciting murder/police procedural books by much less acclaimed writers (to date), such as Neil Lancaster & Charlie Gallagher that leave this book looking like a ‘Midsomer Murder’. LoveReading exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series. Despite the above and I’m sure they’re just my personal gripes rather than other readers, both cases are really interesting and immersive. I especially like the Ridley storyline which has a topical flavour to it and I enjoy trying to figure out what’s going on. The Middleton case becomes more and more compelling and takes a disturbingly dark turn and discerning the truth from the multitude of lies is a perplexing puzzle. The portrayal of Middleton and Amanda are very good and trying to figure them out, especially the latter is a fascinating element. There are plenty of good twists in both storylines to keep you reading on. There’s an intensity in the Middleton plot strand especially towards the end when you really feel the tension.

Pure Evil by Lynda La Plante (9781804181119/Hardback

Overall, this is another good addition to the series. There’s a lot of ground covered in both cases and they are resolved well. Lynda La Planteis the author of over forty bestselling novels. She trained for the stage at RADA and worked with the National theatre and RSC before becoming an actress. She then turned to writing - and made her breakthrough with the phenomenally successful TV series Widows. Lynda's original script for the much-acclaimed Prime Suspect won awards from BAFTA, Emmys, British Broadcasting and Royal Television Society as well as the 1993 Edgar Allan Poe Award. Lynda is an honorary fellow of the British Film Institute and was awarded the BAFTA Dennis Potter Best Writer's Award in 2000. In 2008, she was awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for services to Literature, Drama and Charity. Lynda La Plante is the first lay person to be awarded an honorary fellowship to the Forensic Science Society. In 2020 she launched the acclaimed Listening to the Dead podcast with former CSI Cass Sutherland, exploring forensic science and its impact on solving crimes. Then a character decides to celebrate their pregnancy by pouring glasses of wine for the happy expecting couple??? It’s concerning how they barely mention the fact that it’s riddled with rape or perhaps statutory rape of minors. It only focuses on missing girls and murders.Best Books Set in the 1920s — from Stories That Shimmer with Champagne and Social Change, to Rip-roaring Reads Covering Crime, Colonialism and Beyond. I don’t have the patience to see if her writing style stays the same, I’m going to presume it does.

Pure Evil (DC Jack Warr, book 4) by Lynda La Plante Pure Evil (DC Jack Warr, book 4) by Lynda La Plante

As Warr digs into Middleton's past, Ridley calls pleading for help, now accused of a murder he insists he didn't commit. The sub-plot involving DCI Ridley is another great story and is testament to the writing skills of the author that she can include two stories of equal value in one book. This plot was very unexpected and kept me guessing throughout. I'd not "met" Detective Warr before Pure Evil. Although this is the fourth in the series, it did not prevent me from enjoying the book. He's right up my street. A lone wolf, one helluva detective, with impressive intuition and a great nose for investigation. He's a bit of a loose cannon but you can't help but love him for it and his dogged persistence certainly pays off. This book is a serial killer Thriller, which I really loved and enjoyed thoroughly. It is Book 4 in a series.

As you would expect from bestselling author of Lynda La Plante this is a well written novel, the plot is meaty and solidly constructed, there’s clarity between the two cases and there’s never confusion. However, from time to time it does get a bit pedantic which halts the pace. For instance, I do get a bit fed up of the multiple references to wearing face masks, yes, got it, we’re still in the pandemic!! I did not enjoy the author’s style of writing at all. It felt extremely stilted to me. The parts of the book in direct speech, flip from one speaker to the another with no indication of who is saying what and the actual dialogue felt like it had been written by someone with a lot less talent and experience than Ms La Plante! As Warr digs into Rodney's past, Ridley calls pleading for help, now accused of a murder he insists he didn't commit. And then we have the crime - or crimes. The dual thread of Middleton and Ridley. And apart from saying that both are well plotted and executed and kept me on the edge of my seat, I'm saying no more about either. Oh, apart from bot came to very satisfying conclusions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment