276°
Posted 20 hours ago

But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How You Can Help Fix It

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Shortly after Tony Blair was elected as Leader of the Labour Party in 1994, Campbell left Today to become Blair's press secretary. In his new book But what can I do: why politics has gone so wrong and how you can change it, Campbell attempts to set out the recipe for success. Both will be looking to rally their troops and set out their political visions ahead of the next election.

BUT WHAT CAN I DO? – Trying to answer - Alastair Campbell

This is a book for supporters of democracy,” he states, and in many ways it is everything a manifesto should be: heartfelt, hectoring, impassioned, rousing. It encapsulates the need for persevilience, and my God he was a role model and a legend on that front. Those countries who have compulsory voting, where the penalty for not voting is a fine, and where spoiling your ballot paper is allowed as a way of signalling general discontent, tend to have healthier democracies. Having scared the pants off us with innumerable examples of a privileged few wreaking unfettered havoc upon the societies they govern, he proceeds to offer us an equally undeniable body of evidence in support of his main argument - one person can change the world for the better. He was unaware that I had been asked for my diaries and that I had been advised to get my own independent legal advice.In Australia recently, where I was announced as a global ambassador for Australians for Mental Health, a road transport official talked to me about the official suicide statistics. In November 2017, he was made an honorary fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in recognition of his work in breaking down the stigma surrounding mental illness and promoting the importance of psychiatry. On 9 September 2002, Campbell sent a memo to Sir John Scarlett, the chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, in which Campbell directed that the British dossier be "one that complements rather than conflicts with" the US claims. The thinking and exploring I have done in writing it has undoubtedly helped me add to the strategies I deploy to stay, most of the time, pretty well.

What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How

It is aimed at anyone who feels angry and frustrated and is looking to channel their anger and frustration to make change. To try to explain why politics, here and around the world, has become such a mess, and why the answer must be not to turn away from it, but get engaged and change it. At a time when we should be building up our democratic institutions, they are deliberately undermining them. I even landed a new political job while in the midst of reading this book, which certainly sourced some of my courage to take it over another opportunity.The minister who had been scheduled to appear was the then Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws, who Campbell produced a picture of during the programme. When will the Establishment afford us with a fully codified Constitution available to all Citizens any place any time? I think the old formula of two sides taking lumps out of each other feels very tired, added to which social media has added to the toxicity and polarisation in debate. He was seconded to overhaul the communications of NATO during the Kosovo crisis, when US President Bill Clinton feared NATO was losing the propaganda war against the Slobodan Milošević regime. Fiona thought we were still going through a period of intense recrimination – she blamed me for bringing so much pressure into the family, I blamed her for forcing me out of the role I felt I was made for – was really trying her best and suggested we go for a walk to talk things over.

But What Can I Do? In conversation with Alastair Campbell

It’s a question regularly posed to Alastair Campbell, not least in reaction to The Rest is Politics, the chart-topping podcast he presents with Rory Stewart. In my mind’s eye there is now a smile on this cloud, and it is moving in, and I am trying to push it away, but I can’t.

Campbell became a central figure in the handling of the aftermath of Princess Diana's death after the head of the royal household, the Earl of Airlie, asked Tony Blair to second Campbell to help prepare the funeral, saying they knew it would have to be different. Campbell made his first appearance on the BBC One political discussion programme Question Time on 27 May 2010. In particular it focuses on the three Ps that have done so much damage – populism, polarisation and post-truth. His first published work was Inter-City Ditties, his winning entry to a readers' competition in Forum, the journalistic counterpart to Penthouse magazine. Wary of “dadsplaining”, he speaks to millennials for their perspective, and is admiring of Greta Thunberg, a lone young voice who spoke up against the global establishment.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment