276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Beauvallet: Gossip, scandal and an unforgettable Regency romance

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I found that it had a really slow start - about 30 percent to set up the situation before any adventuring happened. Occasionally they would make the trip to the capital, Skopje, and there join other ‘Britishers’ for drinks or dinner. Kratovo, where Georgette lived from 1928 to 1930 and where she wrote her sixth historical novel, Beauvallet. She does a lot of slapping when first brought aboard The Venture and gives plenty of haughty looks throughout the novel, but she is rather nonplussed once her cousin Don Diego has kidnapped her and has her at his mercy in a hunting lodge.

From the details of the clothing, to the etiquette and social graces, types of equipage, dances, food, liqueur, sentiments, current affairs and manner of speech - Heyer has it all nailed down, and with effortless ease.Orange publisher's cloth hardcover is clean save for some residue on the back and features red embossed titles on the front and spine. tear to upper right corner of front pastedown has been repaired, creases to front and rear pastedowns from time of publishing, some offsetting to endpapers, crease to right side of free front endpaper, fold-out pedigree of the family and half-title have some foxing.

She tried to slap the hero who caught her wrist (naturally): a trope that I find highly irritating, not least because it's obvious that she wanted the pleasure of being thwarted and controlled by a masterful man. The concept of honor, as defined by an Elizabethan pirate, is essential to the plot although is hard for some modern readers to appreciate.Seizing the chance, she tried to kill the hateful pirate -- but as he took her arm and held it she found herself strangely captured by his boyish smile. An entertaining tale from start to finish, with Nick's enterprising servant Joshua Dimmock providing invaluable support and Joshua's running commentary on his and Mad Nick's antics providing comic relief. Later she doesn’t do anything interesting other than saying things like “I can’t believe you’re here” - or claiming she must help when there is nothing she can do.

I don't think this will be one that I reread often like Frederica or The Unknown Ajax, but I still enjoyed it very much. One night they to the local cinema in Kratovo, not to see a movie, but instead to see it burn down after the owner, having insured the building for a handsome sum, announced to the town that he would set it on fire and invited everyone to come and watch. But even as he makes contact with Dominica's new family, Beauvallet arouses the suspicion of the French ambassador, M. Unfortunately, not only was the train very over-crowded but it was stuck in Essex for approximately 3 hours if I remember correctly.

Georgette enjoyed many aspects of her life in Macedonia: it was simpler and free of the demands of her extended family; she and Ronald were happy in each other’s company and they took walks together and sometimes went horseback riding around the district. For several years Georgette Heyer has been proving herself a master of romantic fancy-dress fiction. I have even read a few random pages from Devil's Cub (one of my favorite Heyer's books) to check if I am not exaggerating. With the blessing of the Queen, this friend and former associate of Sir Walter Raleigh sails the seas in his ship The Venture with the intention of plundering any Spanish ships that come his way.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment