276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cheatwell Games Christmas Express Game

£11.495£22.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Some of the subject matter treated by the book - sexual and physical assault against women - is serious and traumatic, and I think the novel has been badly marketed - I shouldn't imagine it would be a pleasant experience for any abuse survivor to accidentally pick this up thinking it was a cosy, Christmas-themed Murder on the Orient Express. The fires are lit at Bolton Abbey station, and the Refreshment Room and Buffet Cars will be bulging with mince pies and other seasonal fare and festive decorations will be all around.

Suddenly, an old radio that hasn't worked in years springs to life, the local group of carolers (which usually yowls like a gang of wet cats) begins to sound like the Morman Tabernacle Choir and the whole town gets the Christmas spirit.

We get a nice locked room mystery and increasing rebellion from the (mostly unpleasant) set of train passengers to fill out the action. Parents and other adults are not forgotten with a mince pie and either an alcoholic miniature, wine or a hot drink. Die ehemalige Polizisten Roz hat von ihren Kollegen eine Fahrt erster Klasse im Weihnachts-Express nach Schottland geschenkt bekommt. The experience enjoyed by thousands across the UK now has a new home, bringing a magical Christmas tale to a beautiful historic city.

Before we know it ,we will reach the North Pole at Christmas Town where Santa Claus himself is waiting to climb on board along with his wondrously naughty Dancing Elves. The first half (literally) was setting the scene and it went on too long, to the point of me almost DNF'ing but after the body was found it did pick up with a few twists and red herrings. Other little things just seem like they should have been picked up by an editor - such as we don’t have sixth form college.With over 60,000 guests joining us in 2022, this is one of the largest Christmas Experiences in the UK and is rated 5* Stars on Facebook Reviews. The book isn't bad, but apart from a couple of central characters, I found it difficult to get a picture of some of the others (there are four students, practising for an unlikely sounding cross between University Challenge and Big Brother, for example, who I had real trouble making anything other than ciphers in my mind). This was very much a homage to Agatha Christie with an array of characters, all with something to hide. They will be able to tell him what they would like to open on Christmas morning – providing they’ve managed to keep themselves off the naughty list this year!

The light-hearted tone, cheerful banter, festive puzzles and the cover all suggest a Christmassy comfort read and the frequently darker content completely jars with that feel.Despite the cosy, festive cover and Christie-esque dressing, within the first twenty or so pages we've lurched from domestic abuse to light-hearted comments about food on train journeys, to inserting train-related puns all over the place, to the main character trying to suppress flashbacks to serious sexual assault. I did keep reading trying to figure out who the killer was and when the the third death occurred, I had no idea of the culprit. When you start on your journey, you’ll be astounded as iconic moments from the movie come to life around you.

With her daughter going into premature labor, her new grandchild in trouble and flashbacks to her own trauma, I was surprised she was able to solve the case. Many of these book up quite quickly, so make sure you get your tickets early for this wonderful Xmas tradition! Singing, dancing chefs will serve everyone the most delicious warm hot chocolate, and glorious chocolatey cookies. This book should come with multiple trigger warnings, it includes the topics of rape, domestic violence, pregnancy/birth trauma, right from the start. Santa will join you on board and, if you are on the nice list, hand you your first gift of Christmas, a Silver Sleigh Bell just as in the motion picture we all love.Overall, this was an interesting mystery, but is is a lot heavier than you would think from the blurb.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment