276°
Posted 20 hours ago

In Search of the Rainbow's End: Inside the White House Farm Murders

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sheila’s brother Jeremy Bamber is currently serving a life sentence for the killings. He has denied any part in the murders.

As a mother to the twins, she was always kind and loving, playful, like a lioness with her cubs, never ever angry with them." On Wednesday, in White House Farm, an ITV six-part factual drama starring Freddie Fox as Jeremy Bamber and Cressida Bonas as an eerily accurate Sheila, viewers can make their own decision. Colin Caffell (Mark Stanley) was the former husband of Sheila Caffell and the father of their two sons, Nicholas and Daniel. Sadly, he was never decorated or officially commended by Essex Police for his work in helping to convict Jeremy Bamber.Jeremy Bamber being driven away from court to start a life sentence for the murder of his family. Photograph: REX Speaking to ITV, Caffell said: “I’ve been approached numerous times by all sorts of production companies, journalists and writers. But this was the first time I had been approached with real respect and sensitivity.

She claimed his conversations about killing his family became frequent between October and December 1984 and in late 1985, he had spoken to her about shooting his entire family and escaping through a kitchen window.

Who is in the cast of White House Farm?

To help write the drama, writer and executive producer Kris Mrksa used extensive research, interviews and published accounts including, ‘The Murders at White House Farm’ by Carol Ann Lee with additional material from ‘In Search of The Rainbow’s End’ by Colin Caffell.

Speaking to ITV, Stanley said: “Colin understands there has to be a licence to fit this story into a six-part drama. His way has included training as a psychotherapist, working with the late Elizabeth Kübler-Ross, an expert on loss and dying, working in prisons and conducting workshops for men and for teenage survivors of the war in Bosnia. After moving to Canada, she worked as a teacher and went on to become vice-principal at a primary school.

Over three decades, during which time Caffell remarried and had a daughter, now 20, I’ve witnessed how impressively he has tried to make “what happened count for something”. Each appeal has brought fresh press intrusion. “I wanted to build a new life. I had the illusion I was anonymous. It turns out that everyone in the community knew all along.” He published the book In Search of The Rainbow’s End in 1994, which White House Farm writer Kris Mrksa referred too whilst writing the script for the series. In White House Farm, Mark Stanley plays Colin, capturing Caffell’s gentleness, the deep impact of his loss and Bamber’s betrayal. “He looks nothing like me but he got it,” Caffell says. Ann, alongside members of the police, began to suspect the Bamber may have been behind the killings. He ran his own pottery in London for a number of years before being drawn to the less abstract world of figurative sculpture.

MORE: 'My personal opinion is very much that he's guilty' - author Carol Ann LeeColin added Sheila was a "kind and loving" mother to the twins. One month after the murders at White House Farm, 21-year-old Mugford went to police with a second statement. There is something about him that is honourable and wants to see justice done. To see the right decision take place.” In her second statement, Mugford alleged Bamber had spoken numerous times about killing his family. On 28 October 1986, Jeremy Bamber, 25, was convicted of five counts of murder. The judge, Sir Maurice Drake, said Bamber was “evil almost beyond belief”. Bamber, serving a full-life tariff, claims he is innocent and has repeatedly appealed. “I believe Bamber is now so entrenched in a fantasy world, nothing in him will change,” Colin Caffell says: “Sheila didn’t know how to load or fire a rifle. I’ve always completely trusted the verdict.”The Sun recently reported 56-year-old Julie Mugford was living in Winnipeg, Canada with her husband, Glen Smerchanski. Caffell was the ex-husband of Sheila Caffell and the father to six-year-old twins, Shiela, Nicholas and Daniel. On my visit to the village, at the Thatcher’s Arms, one local told me: “The day after it happened a lot of people in the village knew the police had it wrong for one reason only: common sense.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment