276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Love from A to Z

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book talks about things that the nowadays society struggles with - big topics like racism and Islamophobia. You didn’t say anything! I turned to her. Nothing about what he’s doing! You acted like it was my fault! Okay, I said again, popping headphones on and scrolling on my phone to find the right selection. I turned up the volume and drew the left earphone away from my ear a bit as if adjusting it.

I tilted my head and blinked at her sweater-set self. “Okay.” “Shit. Bitch.” She pretended it was because she couldn’t find her seat-belt slot. “Okay,” I said again, popping headphones on and scrolling on my phone to find the right selection. I turned up the volume and drew the left earphone away from my ear a bit as if adjusting it. A bit of Arabic, a traveling dua, filled the space between Hateful Woman and me. She stared. I smiled. • • • *I know, I know. I hate hateful people was so ironic. But I was born this way. Angry. When my siblings and I were young, my parents had this thing where they liked to sum each of us three kids up by the way we had entered the world. “Sadia had an actual smile on her face. Such a happy baby! Mansoor was calm, serene. And our youngest, Zayneb? She screamed nonstop for hours. A ball of anger!” Dad/Mom would say, laughing when they got to the punch line: me. When I was way younger, I’d get angry at this, their one-dimensional descriptions of us, their reducing us to these simple caricatures, their using me as a punch line. My face would redden, and I’d leave the room, puffing. They’d follow, trying to douse me with excuses for their thoughtlessness. After a while they learned to follow up the punch line with descriptions of my positive qualities. “But Zayneb is the most generous of our kids! Did you know she’s been sponsoring an orphan abroad with her allowance since she was six? He’s two years older than her, and she’s been taking care of him!” They’d beam at preteen me, at my newly developed guarded expression. Then, two years ago, when Mom and Dad had stopped this rudeness, I began not to care that they’d called me an angry baby. Because by then I’d discovered this about myself: I get angry for the right reasons. So I embraced my anger. I was the angry one.To the best of good peoples, my parents. And to other good peoples, Anu and Haju, without whom this book could not be. From William C. Morris Award Finalist S.K. Ali comes an unforgettable romance that is The Sun Is Also a Star meets Anna and the French Kiss, following two Muslim teens who meet during a spring break trip.

It is hard to share such a book with the world. You wonder if it will be "too much" or whether people will connect and understand. This is not a solid 4 stars read for me, but I decided to be generous as I don’t read many books with great Muslim Representations! I promised Mom and Dad I wouldn’t make a scene, so I’ve kept my responses limited to unrelenting smiles, but now… I think it’s time to get to her. But with this news, I’d potentially be getting to Doha on Thursday, when everyone else at school had a week to go before break! From that day, he vowed to record the marvels he knew to be true and the oddities he wished weren’t.A marvel: something you find amazing. Even ordinary-amazing. Like potatoes—because they make French fries happen. Like the perfect fries Adam and his mom used to make together. Zayneb is an absolute powerhouse of a narrator – after all, one of the very first things she does is get suspended from school for standing up to her teacher. But she’s also a young teenage girl who is unfairly hated for her religion and the color of her skin, I think it’s important that we see the vulnerable side of her. It’s hard and exhausting to be angry all the time, but it’s just as exhausting to look around you and know that no matter what you do, you’re never going to have it as easy as the blissfully unaware white child coloring on the plane.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment