276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Midnight Guardians

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Beautifully drawn fantasy characters ... a story of hope and love underpinned by witty humour.” Daily Mail In December last year, ÖBB, the German rail company Deutsche Bahn, SNCF and Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) announced the signing of an agreement to launch new night train services in Europe. This is the first step in developing the Trans-Europe Express (TEE) 2.0 network, proposed by the German presidency of the Council of the European Union. This partnership plans to launch four new services to 13 of Europe’s largest cities in the coming years.

ksomm814 | FanFiction ksomm814 | FanFiction

Mr Noakes, a badger in a waistcoat, Pendlebury, a tiger who can change her size, and a grumpy and argumentative knight who you must call King of Rogues (he gets very upset if you don’t!) guide and support Col on his way through the English countryside to save Rose. But this is not his only quest. His guardians explain that there are darker forces at work. The Midnight King is determined to defeat the Green Man and bring eternal darkness to the world. The gang race to save Col’s only family, but must face creatures from the Spirit World who are doing The Midnight King’s bidding and are set on stopping them. Thankfully, there are some creatures fighting for The Green Man to provide additional support as well. Spectacular . A story of real and rare power - The Midnight Guardians is one of the best books I've read in years." Kiran Millwood Hargrave

The performances are uniformly excellent: unable to rely on his regular cast of players, Flanagan has assembled a new crop of young talent to play the dying teens. Iman Benson is Ilonka, who was on her way to an Ivy League college when she got her diagnosis. Though resolved to spend her final days at Brightcliffe a glimmer of hope remains, and she cannot resist the help of Samantha Sloyan’s sinister local naturalist, who seems to have emerged from Goop headquarters by way of Salem. Never has someone been so menacing while brandishing a blueberry. Montgomery's latest is an enthralling, Narnia-flavoured novel with the folkloric feel of a Christmas classic." Guardian At the risk of peddling cliches, it seems that making and eating spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino is second nature to most Italians. This book touch my deep emotion. I laugh, I cried, I smile with it. It brings me warmth and gosh! The guardians made me so emotional. I love them SO SO MUCH! And Col and Ruth were lovely leads - I think their gradual opening up to each other made for an honestly lovely way to connect with them.

Midnight Library by Matt Haig - The Scotsman Book review: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - The Scotsman

The book is like two plots that interweave themselves into one story. You have the friends and their travels to London and the adventures that happen along the way. Then there is the nasty Mid-Winter King who wants power no matter how he gets it or what pain and mayhem he causes to get it, including banishing The Green Man so that he can rule all year round. Right from the start, The Midnight Guardians truly had everything I love about Middle Grade books: it’s wondrous and full of magic, with lovable characters you find yourself rooting for from the start, quests and adventures, so much hope, and an endless amount of imagination. More than that, even: imagination—and kindness—as the one thing that makes it possible to save the people you love most. I loved all of the characters so much! Col, with his stubborn determination and bravery, the Guardians and their love for Col, and Ruth: a Jewish girl from Germany, who helps Col along the way. Their friendship was one of the most heartwarming things I’ve ever read about, and their journey to save Rose—the kindness and hope they show to everyone they meet—made this book so special. I also loved learning more about Chanukah and the lesson it teaches: that a little light can sometimes be enough to defeat even the most terrifying darkness.A magical adventure about hope in the face of the darkest despair. The world is at war, both physically and spiritually, and refugee Col tries desperately to reach his sister in London. He's helped by his three guardians, his childhood imaginary friends, who defy the Midwinter King to help him. Three years ago, Europe’s night trains were being consigned to the economic sidings, driven out of business by low-cost flights and long-distance buses. Since then, however, public concerns over the climate emergency have led to a surge of interest in reviving night routes across the continent. I noted that people around me don’t want to get on a plane because of concerns about carbon emissions" Adrien Aumont

Roddy’s recipe for midnight spaghetti - The Guardian Rachel Roddy’s recipe for midnight spaghetti - The Guardian

At the moment there is no alternative for medium-distance travel [other] than flights or a bad night train. And the only way we can rival planes is to reinvent the train experience. It would be hard for any reader to find Bella as fascinating as Edward does, with her character, never very distinctive, now smothered by his adoring gaze (“the English language needed a word that meant something halfway between a goddess and a naiad”). But taken together, the two narratives at least depict mutual attraction. Midnight Sun could be read as Meyer’s attempt at a do-over, following criticism of Twilight for romanticising a coercive relationship. Edward’s habit of breaking into Bella’s bedroom to watch her sleep, for example, was held up by some highly literal commentators as modelling unhealthy boundaries to impressionable young women, who were still learning how to navigate their own relationships with vampires. (As Meyer pointed out in a recent interview: “Really the problem is that he’s murdered a ton of people.”)Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add salt (about 2 tsp for every litre) and stir. Add the spaghetti, stir and set your timer for two minutes before the end of the recommended cooking time. This is a beautiful, mystical, and magical tale that brings together family, love, and friendship. The story is inviting and imaginative and I didn’t want to put it down or for it to end. It is pure escapism in a book.

Midnight Guardian Series by Bryna Butler - Goodreads

The characters are relatable, even the imaginary friends have traits you see in a lot of people. Col, although just a young boy is wise beyond his years, I think a lot of children who were living through the war were, they had to be resourceful, learn to live with death and destruction as well as being separated from their families. Glorious! I think this is Ross Montgomery’s best book an adventure across WWII wintry Britain with a Kindertransportee, a boy dressed in shorts and his three imaginary friends. A joy of a joy of a thing .” Katherine Rundell This lovely adventure story has the feel of a classic children's book." Book of the Week, The Week Junior Midnight Trains co-founder Adrien Aumont, also co-founder of the crowdfunding platform KissKissBankBank, says his interest in sleeper trains was kindled by both professional and personal reasons.Five teenagers set off into the woods to find their missing friend, Sadie. The police have mounted a huge search, but the friends – Abi, Sadie’s boyfriend Mason, Cora, Fash and Luke, Sadie’s twin brother – think they’re looking in the wrong place, and may well know more than they’re letting on. Midnight Trains is the latest arrival in what is becoming a crowded market. Across Europe, state-run railways are facing new competition from private operators looking to introduce night trains. Fans of rail travel have waited some time for new night train routes to come along … only to find, a bit like buses, several turning up at the same time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment