276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Girl, Goddess, Queen: A Hades and Persephone fantasy romance from a growing TikTok superstar

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Okay,’ I say, not wanting to continue this conversation and cursing myself for even bringing it up. ‘Can I go see my friends now? Before Father gets here?’ Mother’s face falls and she takes my hands in hers. ‘That’s not freedom,’ she says gently. ‘Men see a reputation as an invitation.’

However, I would also think that the author has more potential for her books to come. Her writing had definitely caught my heart at certain scenes. I would def read her next book. Overall, it was an okay read for me. I think I was just sad that I didn't like it as much because I had high hopes for it. But for those who is a first timer to read a Hades and Persephone retelling, this book might work out for you. I literally find it impossible to choose just one quote to share, so [insert 100 favourite and memorable quotes] here. Persephone and Hades felt too much like friends in this story so when a romance does finally develop, it felt weird like they shouldn't be doing this. The romance felt forced and didn't sit right with me - their relationship didn't feel natural and it was quite cringey at times. Her emotional journey and growth from dutiful daughter into a confident, formidable Queen was really satisfying to watch, as was her fury and defiance regarding Zeus and Demeter’s plans for her future.Yes, because if I don’t look virginal how will the fine suitors know that the girl whose name literally means chastity and who has lived her entire life alone on an island is pure?’ Talking of these two MCs, they were a delight in their slow dance towards friendship and the even slower dance to more. Styx and Tempest were feisty side characters and I enjoyed the development of the underworld at the hands of Persephone and Hades. I feel like we got a lot of story but equally, there's so much potential here for more. I'm excited to see this will be a series. So many people, all watching me. Two of the three courts gathered, gods from Olympus and Oceanus surrounding me. None from Hades, of course. I hadn’t been near that many people before, and I haven’t since. Now, in a matter of days, I’ll be married to one of them – and I can’t even remember them well enough to imagine who might be waiting for me at the end of the aisle.

I also LOVED the personification of the goddess Styx - what a gift! I haven't seen a single other author in recent years take on the river gods of the ancient world and spin them into their own characters. The addition of completely new characters like Tempest offered a strong supporting cast that made this book stand out in creativity from the rest.Girl, Goddess, Queen is a fantasy rom-com retelling that weaves the classic story with snarky banter, slow burn romance and a feminist slant that sees the legendary goddess discovering her agency, desires and inherent power. As a child, Persephone’s father asked her what she wanted. ‘The world’ was her reply. A good answer for a girl with the world quite literally at her feet. But to her father, Zeus, a wrathful god terrified of having his power usurped, it was the worst possible answer she could have given. Zeus sought to belittle his daughter, but jumping into hell gives Persephone the courage to finally stand up for herself. To say no, when she doesn’t want something. To be unafraid of taking ownership of her own life. Her journey of self-discovery is an empowering fist pump in the air, a massive FU in the face of her father and all the other gods who’d seek to keep her small and subdued. It’s a beautiful thing to read. I am keeping this spoiler-free, but all I'm saying is: this book is AMAZING! From the side characters such as Styx, to the other inhabitants of the Underworld, to Persephone herself. She is the perfect example of strength! I loved this version of Hades, and I will forever love these two and their three-headed dog. This book is my top favourite of Hades & Persephone retellings and nothing else comes close to it. Mother laughs sharply. ‘Hilarious, Kore. I know you think I’m sending you off to a fate worse than death but I wouldn’t send you to the actual realm of it.’ All fans of Greek mythology, originals and retelling, experience the patriarchal and misogynistic frustration of these men and their rule. This story gives us authenticity but with feminism that grows and spreads. Hades was one of the best feminists of all and I loved him for it. I especially loved what was revealed about Hades talents and loves; take that, toxic masculinity!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment